Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks Chapter Three...Serious Bidness...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. slammed

slammed

Yes! WAy over due Turdness......pic-a-pic-10-4!

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Make it happen cap'n!

I have a stock tv rod that goes really close to the center carb.

Ahhhh, an oldie but a goodie. I haven't laughed that hard in a while!

I know we already talked about this, but for the benefit of others...
    I really want to put the battery in the passenger side step.

Hahaha! Me neither! Thanks.

Nothing really photo worthy. But I have made some progress in the last couple of days. Details in the next post...

Don't worry, its coming.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Here' the latest...

In the last installment, I told you about Del and I bending the steering arm. Well, the tie rod needed to be moved in a corresponding amount. That sumbitch wouldn't turn for sh*t! Turns out it was bottmed out already on both sides. Del cut 3/4" off of one end and I stuck it back in. I got the steering wheel centered and got the pitman arm back on.

I got my voltage regulator, relay, and resistor mounted back in their homes on the firewall and hooked up all the corresponding wiring. I have decided to run a straight (non progressive) linkage on the carbs. With Jeremy's advice, I redid the old linkage that came loose with the carbs and intake to lock all three carbs together.

So here's what's still left to do...
    gas pedal to carbs linkage
    tv rod to carbs linkage
    fab a shifter

I got some excellent ideas for the shifter last night. One I like a lot involves using the top cover from a ford top loader with a cable going to the trans. It would mount to a bracket that would mount to bolts on the tail shaft of the hydramatic. Looks sort of like a la salle top shift, lol.

Jeremy and some other Iron Lords are going to the hamb drags later today (and picking up Jeremy's new '40 merc chopped and sectioned back in the day :eek:). I'm going to try and wrap my head around what's left while he's gone. I am NOT a fabricator, lol, but Del gave me a pep talk so we'll see what I can come up with while Jerbear's gone...

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Did you mention you were whining like a little bitch last night? :) Once you got all that steam out I think you were able to look at what you need to do and critically think how everything will have to go. I'd start a thread on rochesters, linkage and tv cables and see what comes up. I know there is a ton of pics of people using those carbs on tri carb setups through out the hamb. I was looking for some this morning.

It looks incredible. Take a deep breath and execute the rest of the truck with the same level of detail that led you to this point dude. It's far too nice not to.

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I neglected to mention I was whining like a little bitch. Thanks for reminding me. :D I am a little frustrated it wasn't done by today, which was my deadline. The throttle linkage and gas pedal I'm not so worried about. That's pretty straight forward back and forth movement. The tv rod is a little tricker since it moves up and out on an arc (and in conjunction with the back and forth). The shifter is tricky for me because I suck as a fabricator, lol.

These are the three things that I thought would be the hardest for me from the get go. So it is a little intimidating. But I'm sure I'll learn I'm a better fabricator than I thought soon enough, lolz.

6. Less talk, more work... ;)

Times a wastin' - Just bang this stuff out and get this thing done!!!

7. hotdamn

hotdamn

8. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Dude , you should have had a shifter setup before the cab went back on the frame and the engine was set in the frame. Here is the best pic i have of the bracket I made for the shifter.

Attached Files:

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for the pic Tommy! Change your mind about selling that yet??? :D

10. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

just weld a wrench straight to the shifter rod attachment, like a 2 1/2" big diesel wrench, its chrome... then take the sawzall and cut a HUGE hole out in the floor for clearance, DONE!

11. Over 24 hours and no update?!?:mad:

You, my friend, are slacking big time!!!:p

[​IMG]

I'll get today started for you!!!

...Liberace is waiting for his royalties!!!:D

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Is the f85 the only floorshift that you are looking for? You can give richards a shot, you never know what he might have out in his buildings.

He is open Saturday till 1:00 336-857-2222

13. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Just hook that shifter up to the column , Bend a new rod. With the tv rod, look in my pit or over against the wall for a factory carb. Look at the bracket on the carb to figure out what it needs to look like, or if that could be modified to fit your carb.

14. looking great. I cannot wait to see this come along. Looking forward to the rest of this build.

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That's awesome!!!

I was only looking for the chrome cover. But as it turns out, Delton found me a whole floorshift today. Thanks for the tip though!

Delton got me an olds shifter that should be a rather straightforward affair. But thanks for the tip about your carb! I'll check that out. I really think I was making it harder than it needed to be, lol.

But enough about that. How about some pictures of that new Merc???????:D

Thanks!! Me neither!

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I guess the update is Delton got me stuff to take care of shifter and gas pedal to carbs linkage. And Jeremy has me well on the way to solving the tv rod linkage.

And Jeremy got a '40 Merc. That too. THAT just happened.

17. hotdamn

hotdamn

I'm a loner Dottie,

I'm a rebel...

18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Anything new Terd?

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got the throttle cable linkage Del got for me mounted, hooked up and working correctly on the center carb. The gas pedal will take some working. I also broke the shifter arm on the trans by gently bending it. I've got another on my extra trans at home. I got the majority of the rest of the wiring hooked back up, headlights and turn signals will have to be done after the front clip is back on.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are we putting the dog house back on tomorrow?

What about the linkage? Is it all drilled out with those set screws I was talking about?

Dizzy back?

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Today, I got the wiring that goes to the tail lights spliced back together where it was cut when we took the cab off. I fixed a couple of other small wiring issues. And I broke my throttle linkage. One step forward, two steps back. Getting the throttle, carb, gas pedal and tv rod working together is confounding me. I tried a couple of ideas, none of which worked.

But I have renewed vigor. I have accepted my circumstances and have decided deep within my soul that these problems will all be distant memories soon forgotten with the first puff of tire smoke that will surely and inevitably be coming soon. I have received a vision. More of a deja vu. Maybe a hallucination. I sailed away to china, in a little row boat mind you. You said something about laundry. I'm running and I won't touch ground. In any case, no tv rod is gonna break my stride. And it sure ain't gonna slow me down.

22. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Would this here puzzle set inspire ya for some update pix?

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wait til you guys see what Poke Chop striped on this truck tonight. It's going to blow some minds and add that extra something something to send this build over the top. Incredible!!!!!

Don't worry buddy, do some hard core research tomorrow and see where you're at. Don't worry about getting a little modern on something because can always make them look good afterward as long as they work right.

Also look into Olds engines and their TV cables on their J2 engines if they had them. Boobie has a J2 engine at the house I believe you could look at if it's got the brackets on there.

24. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Yes. Yes it does. I'll put some more pics up today or tomorrow of the striping. That's about all the pic worthy events that have happened.

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I don't know if its going to blow minds, lol. But its pretty cool.

Everything else is everything else. I'm going to work it out.

26. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Oh,no. You've got to keep a movin'!!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What a dick bag Mat Wilder was/is!!!! That stash and hair is rad though!!! God, why is the era that I was born (80's) so damn lame? Burn that decade!!!!

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Dude, you're retarded. The '80s were rad. Hell, the word rad was invented in the '80s. Creativity peaked in the '80s that hasn't been seen before or since. Movies, tv, music, popular culture. I guess it was kind of lame if you were in diapers though. :D

29. You're too young to understand.......

......don't hurt yourself trying!

30. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Sometimes around JJ, I feel like the old timer talking about what a nickle used to buy you at the soda shop. :D Time never changes.

""I used to be With it. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird. It'll happen to YOU!"- Grandpa Simpson

Quintessential '80s is Miami Vice. I was 11 or 12 when it premiered but that was the coolest show I'd ever seen. The way it was shot, the colors, the scenery, seedy Miami Beach nothing like today's posh spot, the hip music, the guest stars, each episode was almost like a movie. Nothing really like that on network tv nowadays or since then. Really ahead of it's time. The real life 1986 Miami FBI shootout that caused the FBI to adopt the 10mm wouldn't happen for two more years and Sonny was already carrying a Bren Ten. I couldn't appreciate that back then (wasn't into guns at 12), but I can appreciate the forward thinking now. The 10mm would soon be shortened to develop arguably the most important new pistol caliber since the .357 magnum in the '30s, the .40.

What I'm saying with all this rambling is the show was hip in almost every way compared to what was on tv at the time. Shit like TJ Hooker. Imagine the surprise and excitement from a 12 year old skater punk back in 1984 from a hick town when Suicidal Tendencies showed up on Miami Vice. Man, I need me one of those flat top PIttsburgh hats. I'm sure JJ probably thinks Miami Vice is lame, but back then, this was pretty dangerous on network tv, lol.

The '80s was when I got interested in cars. Around the same time I was watching that episode of Miami Vice, my dad pulled out the pictures of his old cars for the first time when he saw I had become interested in cars. I had already started buying VW & Porsche magazine back then (single mag with both makes for you whipper snappers, lol). When he showed me his hot rods, it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. That was the first time I saw his pickup. The same one I'm paying homage to. It was the first time I saw him as being cool, lol.

[​IMG]

So I hate to boil the '80s down to just two things like Miami Vice and my dad's cars. But yeah, the '80s was far from lame. Teen movies with titties. The Video Arcade. Metal bands in what can only be described as full on costumes. Breakdancing. The Search For Animal Chin. The list could go on and on.

But to get this thread back on track, the late '70s ('80s' older brother) spawned another phenomenom, The Villiage People. The Cowboy is my third cousin. Say what you want, but he's got 65 gold and platinum records. Imagine some stereotype shit like that nowadays in this p.c. to the point of idiocracy society we find ourselves in.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on how to work out the rest of my issues. More soon. Stuff is in the mail.