Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 3rd Try Starliner on September 9 & 10, 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Aug 23, 2011.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Starliner is getting ready to land in Wichita, thought that I'd let ya guys know what is
    planned for this year. Check out the first page for this years art work and the list of
    shops and garages on the Krawl. Jack (Yblock292) did a great job with this year line
    up.

This years shirt art is the weirdest one that I've done to date. What does Palm trees,
    surf boards and a Lava Lamp have in common with the Starliner? It doesn't, I did it
    because I thought that it look kool. I need to quit drinking so much Dr. Pepper.

[​IMG]

This is the perfect place to host the show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and
    it is a kool back drop for the show. The building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool
    art deco structure.

Please go to their web site below to checkout the museum.

www.kansasaviationmuseum.org

Our first year, we had the threat of rain and we had 187 entries not bad for the first year.
    To get an idea who was there checkout this You Tube video….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOe6mjtMmE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The show will begin on Friday (09/09/11) and we will be doing a Garage Krawl to visit some
    Of the koolest Hot Rod and Kustom shops in the Wichita area. We will be
    visiting some of the guys that are keeping Kustoms and Hot Rods a rolling.

Devlins, Pinkstons, Rocky Burris, Van-Go studios, Jeb McGregor, Jason Jewett, Red House customs, Blackwell, jr. Joe Robinson,

We will be visiting HAMB legend (yblock292) aka Jack Marineill’s shop. Friday evening Jack
    will host our free feed. His place is very kool and is perfect place to host the Friday evening
    hang out...

Saturday we will be at the Kansas Aviation Museum. This is the perfect place to host the
    show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and it is a kool back drop for the show. The
    building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool art deco structure. We will be parking among
    the planes which will make a kool photo op.

Why Wichita?

1981 was the first year that I really started doing the car show thing. My third show was
    the Kustom Kemps of America’s Lead Sled Spectacular in Wichita. We drove up early
    Saturday morning and we were planning on spending the night at the host hotel but
    because I was only 18, they would not let me check in to my room. Not knowing anyone
    there, we just hung out in the parking lot at the hotel. We stayed as long as we could and
    then drove the three hours back home. Even though it was only for one day we had a
    blast! I had only seen one chopped Mercury before and it was at an indoor car show at
    the Starbird show in Tulsa. This was the first time I got to see a Mercurys and kustoms in
    motion. They are kool sitting still but when you get to experience them driving around town,
    whoa, look out. Watching a Kustom a cruising is a whole different experience.

That weekend I was introduced to the important role that Wichita played in the Kustom
    and Hot Rod history. Can you imagine how kool it would have been to see Dave Stucky
    crusing Douglas in the Little Koffin. I love to hear the stories of those days.

My late 50’s experience didn’t really start until the early 80s. Kustoms like Hub Harness
    ’59 El Camino, Doug Reeds ’50 Olds “aka Toad” and Johnny Hammond’s timeless ’58 Chevy
    Impala. I know that I’m leaving some of the kustoms that started it for me out but what
    a list. These guys introduced me to kustoms and that kool Wichita Style. The Kool thing
    is they are still kruzing the streets today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the mild kustoms above they're all about the profile.

Wouldn’t it have been kool to live in Wichita when, Starbird, Cushenberrry, Stucky, Farner,
    Eldon Titus and Carl Green were building some wild kustoms and kruzing the streets. Since
    that day Wichita has not slowed down. Guys are still building them today and still doing their
    part keeping the Kustom and Hot Rods alive in Wichita. I’ve been blessed over the years to
    build relationships with a lot of koool people in the area and felt like Wichita should host a
    Kustom and Hot Rod event. Like every other town in the USA they’re too many car shows
    but I feel like they’re not enough kool ones. Wichita has a kool show in the Delano district
    but other then that one, not another show for the Kustom and Hot Rod enthuists.

The guys that I mentioned above influenced my foundation on what is kool and I’m very
    thankful that I was exposed to this legendary Wichita style. Today we have guys in the
    area (Jeff Meyers to name one) that are building kool Kustoms and Hot Rods that are influencing
    the younger crowd. I want to spot light some of the legendary builders and show them
    what they started years ago is still alive today and make sure that Kool will never go out
    of style.

If you have any questions just let me know. If I don't know the answer, I'll ask Jack...

Happy Trails,

Mick

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. 49toad

49toad

We are ready. Great choice of art work. Johnny's 58 is a classic. What would Wichita be without Johnny? See you at the Starliner.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

HANG ON...hang on a minnit...your title states this year is the Third Annual, yet you just stated:

So, IF I attended your first year in my primered Cadillac...and missed last year...how is it that "last year was our first" and your above title is saying it's your THIRD year...I'm, as usual, is confused...!!!

Go ask Jack, please...

R-

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man we can't wait to get up there. We had too much fun at Salina.

LOL!! Ok Roger, I'm going to answer your questions and I don't have to ask Jack, I'll do it by
    using a famous Johnny Hammond quote. "HUH?"

Thanks for ther heads up, I'll fix it.. The primered Caddy that you drove a couple a years
    ago is the sameone that was in Salina? Wow what a difference.

Happy Trails, Mick

5. 49toad

49toad

So you weren't here last year. Does that mean your'e comming this year? Now i'm confused

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yes, Mick, same car...just different. Thanx...!

No Doug, I wasn't there last year and won't be there this year either...I've had enuff (Salina) Kansas heat to last me at least a year, possibly longer. I've already decided I won't be at the Salina KKOA event next July as I think I'm going to the Yellowstone rod run on the same weekend...besides it's cooler up there than Kansas.

R-

7. wizzard23

wizzard23

Let me get this stright, Jack (yblock292) a legend??????????? Oh maybe at the Bud Light factory!!!!!!
    Would love to be there Mick, but I gotta help put on this little thing called a Rod Run up here that weekend.

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! Jack told me that he was considered a legend. I can't believe that he would not tell
    me the truth.... We will cross paths later this year, hopefully at Jeffs fall run or sometime.
    Hope your ribs are feeling better...

HUH?? Darn and I almost put your Caddy on this years shirt but you lost out to Johnny.
    Sorry... I'll email ya the drawing when I'm finished. Too hot in Salina? yes it was a little
    warm but I'd do it all over again.

Happy Trails, Mick

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...wouldn't be the first time I lost out...won't be the last either...and I'm getting too old to worry about much of anything anymore...!!! Thanx for even considering it...

Us ColoRODoans can't stand that much heat...or is it the humidity...that's why there weren't any ColoRODo Springs guys in Salina...one foray into the midwest in the summer is enuff for me lately...

R-

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too old? You should have new life because of that Caddy that your driving around. Never too old..

The Salina heat reminded me of the good ole hot Hang Dice days. I'm glad that its not
    normally that hot. Hopefully we will have another thirty years protection from that kind
    of heat.

Happy Trails, Mick

11. wizzard23

wizzard23

Yep Mick, we'll be down that way sometime this fall, either Jeff's deal or Douglas KS show. Need to figure out a way to combine these maybe? Ribs doing much better, get to go back to work next week. Thanks for askin'. But still, Jack? a legend? come on, man.

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Third Try at the Starliner! I'll be there!

Here's some shots from last year for those that haven't been yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starliner is one of the koolest shows on the planet, parking the cars around the planes is sure genius and awakens the child in all of us haha.

Looking forward to my first Garage Krawl!

See you at the show,

Travis

13. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Great pics Travis! I am so looking forward to this!

14. yblock292

yblock292

HUH?We also have rocky senior on the tour list, will have maps at host hotel to all the kool places

15. yblock292

yblock292

oops, you did list rockys............missed it

16. triumphtony

triumphtony

I am ready now. Hey Jack get the gas ready.
    see ya soon.

17. yblock292

yblock292

Hey Tony, got it ready to go!

18. Butch M

Butch M

Can't wait and Jack is a legend around these parts......

19. yblock292

yblock292

thanks, but for all the wrong reasons!

20. customcory

customcory

So that flamed light blue 54 Buick with the Tru Spokes behind the black duece hiboy is still around, I'd love to see a pic of that. It was in Street Rodder when it was still a thin magazine.:D

21. yblock292

yblock292

Mic, your art work is out standing...........Kant wait, starting to run off maps!

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last year we were driving through town and it was sitting off of the highway for sale. I
    locked the brakes up and turned around to check it out. Boy did it bring back memories.
    They wanted $18k for it, which is a little high but it is a Roadmaster. It was kool to see
    that it was in untouched. When it rolled into the Show everyone went quite to see it roll
    in. For more pics check out Royboys site. page 25, 26 and maybe around 13 has some kool
    pics of the Buick.

http://royboyproductions.smugmug.com/Cars/2010Starliner/13719155_GK7pWF#1003980055_Vqyeo

Your the man! This is why you are who you are. ??? I don't know what that meant, I must
    be tired... What I should have said was Thanks Jack!

Happy Trails, Mick

23. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

LOL...Jack a LEGEND??? Maybe in his own mind...See ya all in a couple of weeks...I'm gonna make the KRAWL this year...WOOHOO

24. customcory

customcory

Thnks Straycatcustoms for the Buick link. One of my favorites !:D

25. Dads-53

Dads-53

Mick, hopefully my 53 won't look like a Mustang this year. Looking forward to it.
    Don

26. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

wish i could make it..but drag week starts the same weekend..

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys make the mistake of not coming to show if there car is not running. The shows
    we try to put on our social thing. Kan't wait to see the 53 this year..

No problem, The Buick is kool...

If my Gasser kit for the Merc would have made it in time I would have joined up with
    you guys. :) Good luck with the trip look forward to hearing all about it...

Happy Trails, Mick

28. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

Hey Mick...I have a SPECIAL request...now I doubt that your vehicle numbers will get this high but I would like entry number 343 in honor/remembrance of the NYFD firefighters that lost their lives on 9/11...remember that Sunday is the 10th anniversary of our countries great lose...THANKS...Glenn

29. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Mick...

Cool art; cool show ! Wish I had time to get there, but previous stuff exists.

Have a great one, amigo !!

Jonnie

30. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very kool idea Glenn, I will tell Renee and the number is yours. Every year we fire up the
    B52 engine to helps us remember. It is hard to believe that it has been ten years. I will
    never forget that day.

Thanks Jonnie for the kind words and wish you could make it. Love your last interview with
    Gene Winfield. This year he was in Dewey and I got the opportunity to visit with him. He is
    a very special man. Listening to your web cast you get the chance to hear about more of
    his accomplishments. There is a lot of kool Kustom history out there..

Happy Trails, Mick