Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to unchop/rechop a 46 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptvan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you gentlemen. Means a lot. More work by the end of the day.

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Damn! Should you feel bad when your car is used as the ugly one in a comparison? …..LOL

Lol!... just chop it then nobody can say fuck all :D:D

3. The rechop looks much better. Very professional work.

4. choptvan

choptvan

OK. I had to much happen today but I will be updating this again. I have to be done by the first of next month. So There will be updates.

5. Hemrod

Hemrod

The hoods on these cars quite often look like their running up hill towards the front, this illusion gets worse when they're chopped. The best way to fix it is to pie cut the hood.

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Another way to fix that is to shim the body a little higher at the cowl, and let the nose droop a little. Doesn't take much.

7. phat rat

phat rat

Not always

Attached Files:

8. choptvan

choptvan

Hardly ever from what I have noticed. This is a mild chop I did on another car same style for tech week. Came in 3rd so I am proud.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568646&highlight=choptvan

But I wanted to point out that the hood area looks fine. The hood on this chop above may look out of place ( not to me though? ) cause the top is chopped so far. But again, it is a race car and what he wanted.

9. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

The great job you did on the tech week car was the main reason I decided to finally get my chop fixed after driving around with the messed up old chop for almost 15 years.

I am really happy with the rear window, that area was the worst on the old chop.

10. choptvan

choptvan

Wait till you get the chance to sit in it. The view out the back is actually quite nice!

11. choptvan

choptvan

starting to look like somethin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hooligan909

hooligan909
    from San Diego!

damn dude your work is getting pretty freaking nice!!!!!!! and the new shop looks roomy lol!

13. choptvan

choptvan

Thank you sir. There will be a lot more progress this week. Just litle stuff last week. No sense in even taking pictures. Boring stuff.

14. octobeak

octobeak

I like your car the way it is, the stance is freaking perfect and it's a static drop if I am correct!

15. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

That orange coupe looks great to me. I would much rather have a stock roof that a poorly chopped one any day, hence the rework on my car...

16. choptvan

choptvan

17. choptvan

choptvan

[​IMG]

the aftermath

[​IMG]

18. choptvan

choptvan

I should have it all cleaned up real soon. Door gaps are still off, welds need cleaned up better etc. Got to have it painted by friday

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  19. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Looks great, I am very happy with the progress your making on the car.

The air cleaner is going to change to an unpolished Hilborn scoop. Unfortunately Hilborn doesn't make one for three quads, so I am going to be learning about how to cast aluminum soon...

Also, the car normally runs with moon hubcaps to hide the Warrior drag wheels.

20. choptvan

choptvan

ha ha! Really? That should be interesting...

21. choptvan

choptvan

So. We odviously weren't done with this on time. We decided it was not a damn reality show and a harsh deadline was just not reality so we started taking our time. Finishing gaps better and what not. The idea was to just get the body work close and spray some flat black over it cuz again, it is a race car and who cares right? Well I think I went a bit farther than that. Sprayed some high build primer and hit it with some 180. Lookin real smooth now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wow what a transformation ! Time well spent,nice job!!

23. Now THAT`S Chop, Cut, Rebuild!

24. verde742

verde742

Thanks for not chopping THEM ALL !!!

25. choptvan

choptvan

Thanks guys! Pictures in color in a bit...

Thanks! I guess?

26. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

the first guy that chopped it, needs to have his hands broken.........

27. choptvan

choptvan

Easy now. It was the owner that chopped it. He realized he made a mistake and brought it to me.

paint. We will be doing some reassembly in the next few days. Owner arrives on saturday during my open house to pick it up. And hopefully give me a ride!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Shannon,

Looks perfect. The folks on this site don't seem to like it, but at the dragstrip in Houston it is going to get a lot of attention.

Thanks again for helping me sort out the roof, it is exactly what I wanted. See you this weekend.

29. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I dunno man, it looks pretty damned good from here.

:D

30. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Shannon does very nice custom sheet metal work, and so far I am 100% happy with the body work he has done on top of my car. Only about 10 days late on this much work is really very good, and I added some work along the way that he didn't count on at the start.

In case anyone here is curious, this isn't a typical chopped ford custom. I have always liked chopped cars, but to me it seems like custom owners frequently spend all the money on the body, and end up stuck with sort of lame motors.

"Negative" (the car) has a GM tall deck 427 truck block with a 4.25 crank making it 496"
    Canfield 350 CNC chamber heads, a .680 Crower Solid Roller, Crank trigger, etc...
    The engine is set back 7" on the frame, requiring a pretty big notch in the firewall.
    A $99.00 tall deck B&M manifold modified for a Blow Off, I made an adapter plate to fit a 14-71 BDS Pro Charger (std helix from an older nitro drag car) with the black strips removed.
    Three 750 AFB's on an adapter plate I made.
    Owner built 4L80E, modified with a transgo-3 kit so it doesn't require an computer. (still has lockup)
    First chassis dyno run with the 14-71 it made 702 rwhp on 87 octane (my tune)

This body style is not really well suited for drag racing (or any other racing) but it has some sentimental value for me, since I have had it since I was 14.
    It has run mid 10's @ 130's on 15% under drive (87 octane)
    Looking for a 9.90 at @ 140 with 15% Over on the blower and the new goodyear drag radials (110 VP race gas)

Texas mile is next on the list, and some HMP 1/8 mile street car racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]