Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-Bay rip off posting cars and parts now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrmrsoldford, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrmrsoldford

mrmrsoldford
    from Missouri

Hello Hamb'ers I felt the need to post a warning about a guy in Wichita Kansas named Glenn O'Brien with an F-bay ID of 55Glenno. He is posting a 1928 Ford Model A right now, auction #190567369124 it is blue with a 2x2 Flathead in it. Car is a complete sham, filled with a ton of plastic filler, locked up motor that "ran 5 years ago", he won't spin it over that way he can say he had no idea. This guy sells cleaned up junk and plays dumb about everything he sells "as is". Some poor sap has a 6K bid on it now. Got an engine from this guy last week that was stored inside in the dry. After I opened it up it was full of water at one time and was completely rotted from the inside. Had new paint and was very clean on the outside. He told me some times you win some, some times you loose, sorry sold as is so your the loser this time. If you want to buy from this guy make sure you don't send any money in advance to hold whatever your buying. I don't want to see anyone else scammed so get the word out.

2. badshifter

badshifter

Did you report him to ebay? He has a perfect record. You didn't leave negative feedback? He must be doing something right to rip everyone off and have no complaints.

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

"sometimes you win and sometimes you lose" . You always take that chance buying a old engine. It doesn't matter if it had been in a dry garage or out of a damp field car. don't slander this guy because you took a chance and it didn't pan out for you. In regards to the painted engine, don't judge a "book" by its cover next time.

4. badshifter

badshifter

"Here is a complete V8 60 motor that was used on a farm for something. It has the carburator, starting motor, generator, fuel pump, & distributor. It even has the original green paint. It has oil in it, but is stuck. You don't see too many of these anymore. Sold as-is. Local pick up only. It is in dry storage, & there is no hurry to pick it up, AS LONG AS IT IS PAID FOR. Please check my other V8 60 auction. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V8-6...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1dc52756

I see the auction, I see no rip-off. It clearly states it's stuck. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe you ought to retract your post and reconsider your buying practices.

5. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

What's "F bay"?

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not to pile on, but I looked at the ad link you posted, and the car actually looks pretty decent. I know pictures can't show everything, but it would be a good start.

I also read a lot of his feedback comments, and only found one where the guy said the parts were cracked and never heard back from him. Otherwise, the rest were glowing reports of nice product and super fast shipping.

Ebay IS a crapshoot, for both the seller and buyer. You are bidding on something you haven't been able to see, in most cases, and dealing with someone you have never met. Sorry you feel you got taken, but it has happened to all of us, and sometimes the seller just didn't know.

Don

7. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

sounds like he is covering his ass thru his discription. "was running 5 years ago, with a little tinkering, it Might start". Now if he said runs great, and when you get the car the moter is froze, than you could get him.

8. abone1930

abone1930

His feed back is good. Its always a risk with ebay. But good for tracking down stuff. The model a he is selling is cool. I like Bondo :p

9. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

I was thinking the same thing....

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Maybe I'm looking at a different ad. The one I see for the roadster says this: "I drove it about 5 years ago, & it was good & strong. Haven't started it since, but with some tinkering, I'm sure it will fire right up."

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I invited him over to join in the fun. hopefully he will show up before this thread gets deleted

12. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I cover my ass on everything I sell there....its ALL asis no warranty even if its new in the box. You just never know what the buyer will do with it.

13. mrmrsoldford

mrmrsoldford
    from Missouri

No bad feedback yet because I am in the middle of dispute with the buyer. He has only sold trinkets so far if you look at his history. The engine was not "stuck" The cylinders are completely rotted to the water jackets. But it had "Original paint" and was "stored inside". I saw the car he has posted and everything else he has, spent about 2 hours there talking to the guy. He has a V8 60 midget, 46 Lincoln coupe and sedan, and hand full of Model A's, and about a dozen other cars. He was friendly when I was there and there was more to the deal than posted in the add. Not slander if you saw it first hand. Just posted to help people watch out. I got a lesson out of it and just figured I would pass it on. "ran good 5 years ago" but "has new mufflers". I don't play stupid to screw people over.

14. Joey7319

Joey7319

With over 900 sales and 100% positive feedback for the seller, It kinda sounds like the op is just whining about not doing there homework before the purchase.

15. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

anytime you buy a motor that says "stuck" in the ad your daft if you think its not ruined... always assume its rusted, busted, or destroyed and HOPE its saveable.

sounds like sour grapes to me. ive sold some things on e-ghey to people like you, exactly why i stopped selling honestly. its not walmart, its used parts auctioned online!

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Here is a 1928 Old school roadster hot rod that has been sitting in my garage for several years. I drove it about 5 years ago, & it was good & strong. Haven't started it since, but with some tinkering, I'm sure it will fire right up. It has juice brakes, 1939 or 40 front & rear end, offenhauser heads, dual carbs, headers, new smithy mufflers, 39 ford tailights. It also has the 1932 grill, & cycle type fenders on the front. It needs to be wired up, & glass put in the windshield. Tires are good. Good clear Kansas title. You can't go wrong with this great little hotrod. I've gotten too old, & have lost interest. Thanks.
    I DON'T WANNA PILE ON EITHER, BUT LOOKS LIKE A KILLER START TO ME. I'm not that old but I know a ton of older rodders and they almost always used bondo from what vie been told! And, he cleans things up before he sells them? Who wouldn't ?

17. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Thread backfire huh?

18. csimonds

csimonds

Again, in the "F-Bay" add, it says sold as is..... What more do you want. Don't bid on it if you don't understand the rules.
    Chuck

19. Looks like an example of typical car-dumb to me. The same car or part that you think is junk because the paint is gone and it has a coat of surface rust a guy spends some time cleaning up and putting a coat of paint on and suddenly it's in nice shape and a guy will actually buy it. It could be nice and it could be junk regardless of what it looks like, but it takes that coat of paint to get someone to spend their money because they're too dumb to say, pull a head off a motor before buying.

I have a Pontiac 400 listed that some moron left the plugs out of for ages before I got it, and I'd be more than happy to pull a head off for a small deposit - only because I have to drive 75 miles to where it is to do that. But I don't expect anyone to buy it without seeing if it's junk or not and if it is junk giving them a better price on it for parts for the crank, rods, heads, etc. -

20. Pharouh

Pharouh

I found out the hard way too. Fortunately it was salvageable.
    "It ran when I took it out"
    You pays your money and you takes your chances.

21. skwurl

skwurl

That roadster looks pretty sweet to me.

22. badshifter

badshifter

So he sold 900 plus items to build a name for himself just to stick you for a few hundred bucks? Sorry but the problem is you. I sold 2 flatheads on ebay a few months ago. I sold them as is just like your seller. I had no interest or obligation in tearing them apart to see what they looked like inside. I just wanted more room in my storage. One was locked up, one turned over. For all I know the locked up one was filled with cement. I posted what I knew, and that was that. He didn't do anything wrong. What you are doing is wrong with this post.

23. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Why are some of you sticking up for this guy?Bet you wouldnt if he got to you.Thats why they call it "evil bay"

24. mrmrsoldford

mrmrsoldford
    from Missouri

I asked the seller some questions before I bid about the storage of the engine. Funny I posted this as an advisory to others and I see a lot of you are all about "As it" no matter what else you tell someone about what you are selling. With over 20 years in the Air Force to date I have a lot more integrity than most it seems. I wish I could post the pictures but I can't figure it out. Never pulled heads off a flathead that was stored inside and found most if not all the cylinder walls gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.