Register now to get rid of these ads!

After a very long slumber, the 41 convertible runs!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

jesus man, i can't even keep track... do you still have that sedan??

the 'vert is so cool!

2. No, I sold that sedan to buy a 48 convertible, then sold it when this 41 came up for sale. I can't keep up either :D

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or even a little mineral spirits will clean those tires up if Wesleys doesn't get them completely white. Good Update.

4. Mineral spirits won't hurt the rubber? Good to hear!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think it's mineral spirits that you can use once or twice max to clean up old vintage tires that you think are kind too far gone. I used it once and it seemed to take a thin layer off to reveal brand new tires!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Just asked my brother and he said it was paint thinner. So I'd give it a whirl once and watch those things clean up! I actually just googled it and it looks like Cadillac guys use paint thinner to clean up their tires every so often.

They also use the green scrubbies and laundry detergent.

7. myke

myke
    from SoCal

8. Cool, I'll try white wall cleaner and if need be I'll try something a lil stronger!

9. glad the tank link worked out

sos pads on them scuffed www

go man go
    drive it yet with the
    top down?

10. I have not driven it at all, except in and out of my driveway :D

11. shiftervic

shiftervic
    from So. Cal.

Hey Chris,
    Good job...
    Vic

12. what about imagination time when you sit in it and make motor noises. ;)

13. kirby1374

kirby1374

I was told to use Naphtha. It worked great.

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thats a real nice car.
    Close the gate and have the wife wash the WW inna bikini.
    Thats what I do and I dont care how they come out.

15. dirty white walls mean its a driver..

16. I sit in it and pretend I'm cool ;)

17. moefuzz

moefuzz

Looking Good Chris!
    Reminds me of my 41 business coupe,
    parked since 63 and running in 1996 after an outlay of just $125 bucks!

The smoke in my mufflers didn't clear up till I got her on the road. By that time the heat from the exhaust was getting hot enough to clear off all the oil in the tail pipe.

The brakes on my 41 were bone dry so I poured brake fluid in and bleed them.
    The front brakes stopped leaking in a couple days but the rear brakes leaked until the seals soaked up some fluid before they would hold pressure.
    I had to refill the brake fluid a couple of times (within the first month) but after that it stopped leaking.
    Drove it without much more than adding a new fan belt and plugs/wires.
    Sold in in 2003 after putting about 800 miles of quality cruize time into it.

When I changed the oil I went back to the Ford recommended straight w40 and that brought the oil pressure up some.
    An additional quart of 90 weight took my oil pressure (at idle) from 3 lbs hot to ~8 or 10 lbs hot, Plenty for a Flathead!

I sure like the pic of you and your buddies verts.

Keep up the good work and stay flat.

moe

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  18. Not much tonight, got all the old brake lines and such off, cleaned eveything and ready to re install the brakes tomorrow.

19. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Great looking car, you don't see many 41 convertibles!!

20. Looking great Chris. It looks like you got the spotlights mocked up for the pics. They look perfect on there. Glad I could help in that dept. Hope you get them working so you can go huntin' coons at night.

21. Yeah, I'm on the lookout for the bas of a 112 head if you see another, I took it apart and the splined base as well as the pin is stripped.

22. I still feel bad about that. I honestly had no idea. Someone should have something for ya. I looked at the Springfield swap when I was back there but saw nothing like that.

23. I got the brakes back together last night andtonight packed all the wheel bearings, adjusted the brakes and bled them. THANK YOU to my Girlfriend Jamie...she hates helping me bleed brakes :D

So, I should be able to mount the tires/wheels and with some luck be driving this heap around the block!!!

24. I got my wheels back from the powder coater. These were the 4 wheels that were on the car and they were NICE. I dismounted the old tires and the insides still had shinny black paint on em! You can see how nice they turned out.

Yes...rat rod red.

I really wanted a red wheel on the car. You will not see much of em and I think a lil red will help pop the thing. The VERY nice Hollywood flippers and trim rings don't hurt either. They were my best score on the car so far. I'm really gonna have to clean this ol tub up now...these tires/wheels make make the paint look a lot shittier!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. scotts52

scotts52

Beautiful. Those wheels look great with the red!

26. Thanks! Hoping to be driving it tonight or tomorrow

27. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Chris. I have been watching the coming and going around your place for a long time and am always impressed with your projects but I just have one question.....................
    Where in the world did you come up with that early Ford magnet? You know, the one that keeps drawing all these cars to you.
    Mike

28. couverkid

couverkid

Come on Mike you know how it is up here in the NW.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The wheels look amazing!!! Coupled with those caps and rings I'm really digging it.

Seen this pic on the Cheater's thread and made me think about a shiny coat of black paint on that thing....
    [​IMG]

30. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I sure do Steve but I just had to say it. I do know someone else that has a powerful old Ford magnet as well and his son uses it often.
    lol
    Mike