Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lincolns and Mercs ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake D 56, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

I asked this question in another thread I had when I was contemplating a trade last week....But since the thread title had nothing really to do with the question, I didn't get much in the way of answers, so I thought I'd give it another shot....

Last Saturday, I traded my 56 F100 for a 49 Lincoln Cosmopoliton. This one right here.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Lincoln is really as straight and clean as it looks in the pics too which, for a Craigslist deal, absolutely blew me away!! It needs a few things before it'll run right, but it does run and I did drive it. :)

So as we were bringing it home, my old man and I got to talking. Here's the thing, my 56 was a solid driver, but the body was really rough. It needed a TON of bodywork. So if this had been a 49 merc in this kind of condition instead of a 49 lincoln, I wouldn't have been able to touch it on a trade for the truck or even in the ballpark.

All my dad and I were doing the ride home was staring at the Lincoln and the "family resemblance" and wondering, why is that so? In 49, the lincoln was the bomb and you needed major bucks to buy one. I understand that a merc's a merc and I love a merc done right as much as anybody, just wondering if anybody else out there in HAMB land had an opinion on the subject???

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. rld14

rld14

I love it!

[blasphemy]In my opinion, the bathtub Lincolns are way cooler looking than Shoebox Fords or 49-50 Mercs.[/blasphemy]

I love the headlights on em in particular, there's something that's just so clean and, well, right about the lines on those cars.

3. joel torres

joel torres

i think that car is badass i like something differant from everyone else it looks like its missing its teeth but it has some really cool features

4. I think its awesome as well, for many reasons...its different, leaves more money in your pocket to do work on it oh and its a damn fine looking automobile. Nice work!

5. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

6. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

:eek:

Woah, woah!....Let's not ruffle too many feathers...;)

I don't know about cool-ER (although hell yes I'm a whole lot biased because the Lincoln is mine and I couldn't afford a merc unless it was a complete basket case!), but I think it's at least every bit AS cool!

7. Spooky

Spooky

LOVE. THIS. CAR. Really, it sits right and has an attitude. Who would have thought the ol' man's country club cruiser would be the candy for the ne'er do well hot rodders and customizers later on?

8. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

I'm actually liking the missing teeth. It obviously needs something there, but I'm not that big a fan of the stock grille and I like that it's kind of a blank canvas at the moment. Helps me conjure up all kind of crazy ideas of what I could put there.

Some of those features are what I'm thinking about too. Hell, guys have been using that back glass and those tail lights to customize mercs for years and I 've already got 'em and they look just like they're supposed to be there because, well....they are supposed to be there!

9. joel torres

joel torres

you could take a nice frontal photo and add it to the photo shop thread there guys can add different grills and stuff to give you ideas how it would look

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

With that 'mouth' (if you painted the Linc all white) it would look like a white armored storm trooper from Star Wars!

Seriously, though: It IS a Lincoln, more luxurious than the "Baby Lincolns": (Mercs)
    If this Linc was cleaned off, and the right grille fitted...chopped or not, it oozes kustom.
    But it would have to be clean, smooth, and slippery. Don't change the taillights: French 'em.
    Call it "The Missing Linc".

11. modeleh

modeleh

The F100s are pretty common. Nearly every big car show there will be at least one or two.
    That Lincoln is unique. You just don't see them around anymore. The car looks great. Good trade. Well done. IMO, it is every bit as cool as a Merc of the same year, you're right it may not be "as desirable" or "worth as much", but you own it, and you've got something that not many people have, but many would like to have.

12. moefuzz

moefuzz

Looks like it would be a good candidate for a 49 Meteor Grille...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

That's too funny! :D:D Especially because my kids and I have a little bit of "Star Wars nerd" in us :eek: and I didn't notice that bit of resemblance until you said that.

The first thought that struck me was that, with the grille missing, it looked like a whale shark with it's mouth open . On the ride home, my boys were calling it "Kosmo the Whale Shark".

It's damn sure as big as a whale too!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  14. COOL? ... Don't kid yourself ....

It way cooler than just cool.

15. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Thanks again Clive! It IS pretty damn cool if I do say so myself.

16. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I love it!! Cooler than a Merc

17. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

Yes sir your Lincoln is cool so are the Merc's but you own this one and it will probably draw more attention than a Merc because it is close but still different, customized or not. Like my dad used to say, you did good boy.

18. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Well I tell ya what I have owned a bunch of lincolns, and I have loved everyone of them, I have had a bunch of merc too, I think 17 of them now, and I will trade my merc for your linc right now if you want! The lincoln rides nicer, and has a rarity that I love, then there is the dash, I love the dash....but they are just so hard to find, like you said when you do find them they are cheeper but they are just not out there. The one thing I see alot and do not understand is the people that buy the baby lincolns and make them into mercs, they take away such a personality that would set them apart at shows and cruises and now they will just be "another merc" I know that sounds crazy comming from a merc owner, but I know the reality is there are a bunch of merc out there, and any more it is really hard to make one original, there just isnt much you can do to one that has not been done, but a lincoln, now there is a blank canvas!!! Jim

19. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

^^THIS!!!!^^ I loved the 56, they're just cool and as a lot of guys say..."the year Ford got their truck just right". But, prime example, the first (only) show I took it to was the Billetproof show this past April, which was NOT a big show by comparison, and there were mine and one other at the show and one more out in the parking lot too. Didn't see a single Lincoln there though.

20. I'm a Merc owner, and I think your car looks great. What's stock and what's customized on it?

I like that Meteor grille, I'd like to see something that isn't too funky because I think the grille will help keep the car classy.

21. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

This is the stock grille with the center honeycomb piece removed. I just put the grille surround trim and headbadge back on...essentially de-nosing a mild custom. Congrats on the trade! I like it! View attachment 1408533

22. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Aside from the stance and the shaved handles, everything else is pretty much stock. I have the center section of the grill, but not the sides with the lights in them. I'm torn between the 53 Desoto grill, maybe something in a floating horizontal bar, or maybe using the center section of the stock one and figuring out some kind of custom something to fill in the gaps on the sides. I'm not a huge fan of the stock grill with the lights in it, but I think it would look cool without them maybe.

23. The Linc looks like it right out of one of my favorite movies- " The Fifth Element ". :cool::cool::cool:

24. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

That's a sweet look! I'd like to see that done with the lights taken out too and that might just even be my ticket right there!

25. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

That's a cool flick!

26. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Dang! I was babbling on so much about the new car that I didn't even notice that I'm no longer an FNG! :D

27. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

28. vtecgal

vtecgal

I own A 1949 Lincoln as well. Mine is the 9EL 2dr coupe. I think they are great! You don't see many on the road or at shows. I think your car looks great! Here is a link to our 49'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2d0wVdHq0c

29. Jake D 56

Jake D 56

That's a sweet ride man! Thanks for sharing the link!