Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "How I Draw Rusty Nuts" or "Hot Rod Poster 101"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 22, 2011.

1. All this time I thought you used Crayolas and number 2 pencils......:confused:

Seriously amazing stuff, Jeff. :cool:

2. scarletfever

scarletfever
    from texas

makes my pencil feel kinda weak.... ABSOLUTELY Cool!

3. Mojo

Mojo

They're basically priced on size, and how pressure sensitive the pen is. Bigger, more expensive.

If you're wanting one to play with, i'd go with a older model, maybe something used on ebay. I bought a Wacom Intuos 2 a couple of years ago for around $175 on there, and it works perfect. A good discount, because back when it was new in 2002 or so, it would have been around $500. Mine is huge, the 9x12" version. Honestly, it's a little unwieldy at that size, unless you have a dedicated place for it. I pick mine up, and put it on my lap. I'd recommend a 6x8, if you have to move it around a lot. At 9x12, there's a lot of arm movement to make sweeping lines. I love mine though, it's awesome. Even though it's a older model and doesn't have the degress of pen pressure sensitivity the newer ones have, i've never had a issue where I wished it was more sensitive.

There's great driver support for it, i've used it on xp, vista, and now windows 7 with no real issues, other than in Vista the second button on the pen would stop working randomly.

Painter is a great program! Been a while since i've used it, but if I remember right, it has a "mirror" option, where you mark a line on the screen, and anything you draw on one side of it, is mirrored on the other. Great for practicing pinstriping.

4. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Very cool step by step, thanx for posting. Awesome work!!!

I love painter too, but I still use photoshop to ink for some reason I get a better line with their brushes. After seeing your non vector line work in painter, it sure inspires me to wanna give it another try!!!

49, if you're seriously looking into tablets for art, do yourself a favor and buy a wacom. There is a HUGE difference in quality. I have tried most of them and the other brands are too difficult to draw with and are very frustrating to use. No I do not work for them or own stock in the company, just passing on my 2 cents.

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

You are in BIG trouble mister.

*makes grumpy face*

6. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Jeff thanks for posting man, its always cool to see how others do their craft. I really need to get myself a wacom, airbrushing with a mouse in photoshop is way too labour intensive for me (especially being left handed, but using a mouse with the right). I use Illustrator, photoshop and corel draw...but havent tried painter, looks pretty neat.

Bomonster, another resource for fonts is www.dafont.com although many are ripped off.

7. 117harv

117harv

The colors in the shirt art are awesome....yes thanks for posting!

8. Norwell rules!!!!!!!

9. ols'kool

ols'kool
    from Wisconsin

Can either the shirt or poster be purchased online. I want a poster but I live 1000 miles west.

10. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Oh, now I understand...Can't do it, but i understand...

11. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

WOW !!! truly awesome work

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I dunno....you have to get a pm to the leaders of the show... Jalopyrama Mike...

13. kingpins

kingpins

fucking radd jeff!

14. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Awesome art work as always.

15. Jalopyrama Mike

Jalopyrama Mike

Wow Jeff, worth the wait; patience, patience, patience!
    I'm heading out now to hawk some advertisers for the program booklet so I can pay with all $50s!
    BTW fellow HAMBers, Jeff says he'll be attending the Jalopyrama this year with his '32 p/u on the floor of the Armory. Be sure and stop by the Annapolis Armory on October 22nd and pick up a poster & T-shirt. Maybe a signature from the Artist-Jeff "The Man" Norwell will be available!

16. oj

oj

Can i have the scraps out of your trashcan?

17. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I just looked into the mind of Jeff Norwell.........I think I just pooped myself

Looks great Jeff! I need to get a handle on Painter.

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Wow, I read your entire tech Jeff and all I can say is......neat pictures!

19. Nice, very nice. I like seeing "construction" pictures.

I have a screenprint company here in Ocean City, I use Illusrtrator and Photoshop for my work. Is the Corel program better than Photoshop? Or is it just what you're used to?

Nonetheless, Annapolis looks like an October trip to make!

20. KCsledz

KCsledz

21. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

ehhh jk ;ld;pw jjclc ; k;ps ....Im speachless....Fanfucking tastic

22. Wow. Great stuff.

When I was in school for photography 10+ years ago, I used Illustrator quite a bit. Makes me wish I had stuck with design after graduation...

23. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

That's a tricky question...many of my ardent collegues would argue pros and cons. I don't screenprint... So I would say for a screenprinter..your programs are much better. But for someone who needs to draw,paint,etc,etc...obviously my money is on painter.
    Saying that,... Quite a few artists i know use photoshop and illustrator quite successfully and dislike Painter. Just a preference i guess.
    I have seen incredible work done in Photoshop....

Yes,.... the show is killer!

24. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

What a hoodlum. Dude, you are so BADASS. If you only had a stick and some mud, you would still create the most BADASS art. Thanks For sharing Jeff. Slim

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Ok, having worked together, I already know how you work but this was killer to see the steps!! :D LOVE the '34. So awesome.

I have been thinking about a tablet. I work just the opposite though, all vector, and all bezier curves in Illustrator. But there are some cases lately that I wonder if the tablet would be easier and faster for some of the things I am illustrating. I'm working on the girl for the Pileup Poster now, and it could come in handy. I don't know where I would try out the tablets though, but I'd like to find someplace that has Illustrator installed so I can try it out as I would actually be working.

26. 50 weight

50 weight

Holy crap! the artwork looks awesome! Im really looking forward to the show and picking up a shirt

27. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

PS...........This is freaking AWESOME.

28. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Awesome work as usual. I always LOVE these threads that give us a little peek behind the curtain. Trying to figure out how to get up to Annapolis in October--it would make for 3 consecutive weeks of car events in Oct for me.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What helps with the tablet and illustrator is to check off the option where it keeps your line selected after it's drawn. That way you can sketch out your ideas in a "sketch" layer and then work on top of it. I think the tablet will add a whole new way of approaching your work and may streamline it once you're familiar. I work on a pretty large Wacom and I know that it has helped immensely on both illustrator and photoshop. Give it a whirl. I might get Corel Painter soon to up my game. I need to start immersing myself in work other then what I do for a living. I have a ton of ideas I'd like to expand on.

30. TOE

TOE

I love seeing process posts by artists.

Thanks for letting us see how you work.