Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HAMB Drags 2011 - A New Name on The Yay-Hoo Cup!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLAKE, Aug 22, 2011.

1. BLAKE

BLAKE

Now that all the smoke has settled after this year's HAMB Drags (thanks again, RYAN!), we have a new name to add to the Yay-Hoo Cup.

For those that don't know, each year we Yay-Hoos award The Cup to the one who makes the quickest pass at the HAMB Drags in a car driven to the event. For the past two years, that person has been YHC legend Jeff 'FLAMEDABONE' Yocum... with last year's 10.98 pass in the middle of a 1400-plus-mile round trip setting the bar pretty darn high for future Cup contenders.

However, a few weeks back Jeff announced that he was out of the running this year... he would be attending the event without his sedan. Interesting. Who was gonna be this year's winner...? Who would be the first non-Jeff name on The Cup...? Would that person be able to touch that 10.98 pass Jeff put down last year...?

Well, you can stop wondering. This year the Yay-Hoo Cup went to Jason 'DASCHAEFER' Schaefer and his blown '29 coupe. They put down a smokin' 10.61 at 128.31 mph, and that was on fat street tires since he chewed up a slick during the 300-mile drive up from Hot Springs, AR, with good buddy Reggie 'ORGANGRINDER' Moore!

I'll let Jason and Reggie get on here and add some additional flavor, but the story surrounding his run Saturday perfectly exemplifies the spirit of the Yay-Hoo Cup... some highlights:

- Jason and the family came out to Mokan, via Hot Springs, as part of their family vacation before the kids started back to school today in their Florida hometown... his sons Thor and Brock were the backbone of his crew

- Both Jason and Reggie were thrashing on their cars last week to address last-minute issues prior to their runs for The Cup this weekend

- With the cars ready, Jason and Reggie wished each other luck and then blasted up the highway to Joplin... side-by-side... apparently grinning like idiots the whole way (Jason's words, not mine) despite a minor master cylinder hiccup and the aforementioned need to swap the slicks over to street tires mid-trip.

- After making it to MOKAN Sat morning and registering for The Cup, Jason made that blistering 10.61 pass... but then punched a few holes in the oil pan on his next attempt! He was done for the day.

- At the end of the day, with that 10.61 run securing Jason a spot on The Cup, and with the crew piled into the rumble seat of the '29, Jason had a buddy's A sedan tow the broken beast back into Joplin.

- We should add that his partner in this misadventure, Reggie, broke an axle later in the day Saturday... which meant that the post-drags trip back to Joplin was followed by the logistical gymnastics necessary to get two broken hot rods onto two 'just in case' trailers that were stacked and dragged up from Hot Springs behind the family trucksters... all so Jason and the Schaefer clan could hit to road back home to Florida at 4am Sunday morning.

A nice, relaxing family vacation.

Congrats from all the Yay-Hoos, Jason... you and your family pretty much rule. Your name will be added to The Cup as the 2011 champ, and the hand-made dash plaque commemorating your accomplishment will be in the mail soon... we promise.

Jason's coupe -
    [​IMG]

Jason's oil pan!
    [​IMG]

The ride back to Joplin -
    [​IMG]

Kissing The Cup -
    [​IMG]

... but not before cleaning FLAMEDABONE's lip prints off it - safety first!
    [​IMG]

Jason and son/crew chief, Thor -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Congrats
    And the bar goes ever higher. Gotta love fellas who race what they drive.

3. ryno

ryno

congrats.
    that's a tuff one to beat.
    start building/saving fellas, you got 363 more days to go after this!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Congrats!!!! I seen his son walking around and that name is fitting haha!!!

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exellent story and great pics, Blake...

Congratulations to Jason and crew they did a hell of a good job. That big motor died in spectacular fashion, but not before laying down the baddest pass ever for a Yay-Hoo contender.

Will that number ever be beat? I don't think so. Maybe Jason can top it next year, but it won't be easy...

Nice work guys. -Abone.

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

The Yay-Hoos also want to thank all the other folks who registered as contenders for the Yay-Hoo Cup... the ones who dared to drive their cars to this event and then thrash them on the track just to maybe get their name on The Cup.

Reggie Moore - ORGANGRINDER - 300 miles
    Mike Atchley - ATCH - 255 miles
    Bob Klessig - BOBK - 3289 miles
    Robin Harvey - RAVEN - 200 miles
    John Schurwan - JOHNNY WISHBONE - 310 miles
    Jason Holland - 400 miles
    Doug Shepherd - 400 miles

You guys rule... thanks for the support!

7. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

a well ventilated oil pan is always best served with a trophy. man i gotta figure out a way to go next year

8. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! That Cup is more precious than ANY NHRA award!

That last picture looks like it is outta 1958!

9. ALWAYS great to see a family thing going on with the HAMB Drag's!! They pitted next to us last year,,, great class of people toooo!!! Maybe they will drive two next year,,, a little father and son compition????? Great story !!!

10. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Congrats and great story. Sounds like it went to the right person/car. Gary

11. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Holy Cow! 3289 miles? Bob is the man! Did he drive here from Alaska or something?

12. BLAKE

BLAKE

North Pole... duh.

13. BLAKE

BLAKE

I didn't get pics of all the contenders for The Cup, but here's one of the Organ Grinder...

[​IMG]

... followed by one of Johnny Wishbone's T roadster...

[​IMG]

... and can't remember this guy's name :D

[​IMG]

Thanks for playing, guys!

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

That's what I thought too!

15. Awesome Story and a hell of a pass! Bad ass ride. Congrats fellers!! Love the Yahoo Cup stories - they are the best.

16. Check the Organ Grinder TOO!! It's BBC or bust fellas :D - Not even blown poncho's can compete any more ......:p

17. Fantastic!!! This is what the drags are about. Congrats!!!!

18. Wow, congrats on a pass like that and driving it there, way the hell to go guys !

19. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Awesome pics Blake!

20. daschaefer

daschaefer

Holy Smokes!
    <O:p</O:p

Before I start thanking everybody for all the kind words I just gotta say:

<O:p</O:pThat single 1/4 mile pass was a dream come true!
    2010 was my first voyage to the HAMB drags and that&#8217;s when I learned about the Yay-Hoo Cup, It really is more precious than ANY NHRA award and no doubt the coolest testament, honoring real street-worthy hotrods that I have ever seen. It was on that day, one year ago, that Jeff "Flamed-A-Bone" and his sedan became my heroes as they (he and his car) drove away with their names on the trophy and he packed that car full of all the luggage and necessities required to successfully make that long haul back home.<O:p
    Well Jeff, I want you to know that you and that sedan are still my heroes and I won&#8217;t feel like I&#8217;ve completely tackled your record until I can drive mine home in one piece.... It would be an honor to line up side by side with you next year.

As for the Yay-Hoos... What a great group of guys and gals. Please forgive me for not remembering all of your names (as I was slightly sleep-deprived when we met) but it&#8217;s easy to see that you guys are the group having the most fun!<O:p
    Blake, thanks for the spread, you definitely have a way with words and the photos are AWESOME...THANKS<O:p

I&#8217;ve read a lot of posts throughout the HAMB that boast Father/Son hot-rodding and Family Bonds that strengthen with a quality garage-time. I definitely agree and there was one person that I couldn't wait to share the news with,,, My Dad. He is 71, has been building cars since he was 14 and is still tearing up the streets with his 600+HP 4-speed Chevelle. <O:p
    When I called him on Sunday and everyone else was upset that I blew my mill, my Dad simply replied, "motors are temporary but your name will be on the trophy forever" <O:p
    In my Dad's honor I will be changing my post picture (avatar) to an old photo of him and his Cadillac powered 1936 Ford Coupe he built in 1957.<O:p

I am going to post some photos of my family's quality time from last week, but before I get off here I want to thank God for my family, thank my wife Tab for putting up with me and sincerely thank both my Sons (Thor 17 and Brock 15) for making that entire week one of the best weeks of my life!
    <O:pJason da' Schaefer<O:p

Attached Files:

• 1s.JPG
      1s.JPG
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2s.JPG
      2s.JPG
      File size:
      64.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3s.JPG
      3s.JPG
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
    • 44s.JPG
      44s.JPG
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5s.JPG
      5s.JPG
      File size:
      46.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6s.JPG
      6s.JPG
      File size:
      65.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7s.JPG
      7s.JPG
      File size:
      102.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  21. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

That was the most profound statement that I have ever read....temporary&permanent.

22. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GREAT pictures. Nothing like breaking in a new engine on the way to the HAMB Drags...

Congratulations and see you in a year. -Abone.

23. daschaefer

daschaefer

As promised I’ve changed my Avatar in honor of my Dad.
    These are genuine photos of the coolest man that has ever existed and the reason both my sons have killer hair. Thanks Daddio!
    Oh yeah, I love you Mom and thanks for putting up with all of us, I promise I will slow down one of these days

Jason

Attached Files:

24. BLAKE

BLAKE

This pic says it all.

[​IMG]

25. senior fried

senior fried

X3 Wow ! so cool, May the Yay-Hoo Cup live forever !!!

26. BLAKE

BLAKE

We missed you guys this year... next year you better be there gunning for The Cup!!

27. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! I hope I can make it next year! Maybe I'll take home that trophy one year!

28. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

"motors are temporary but your name will be on the trophy forever"

Bitchin'. Congrats on your success, sorry I wasn't there this year to see it. I remember that we talked for quite a while last year about the Yay-Hoo Cup
    when we were waiting in the tech line. I'm glad you worked out the logistics to get
    your sons and the car there. It's super cool that it's such a family deal for ya'll.

29. Congratulations Jason!! Thanks for offering the lower pulley bolt to PPE! You came across as a true sportsman to me! Well deserved.

-mike

30. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

Jason,

You and Da Chicken Coupe crew definitely earned putting your name on the Cup....just a brilliant run and your efforts purely fit exactly what the Yay-Hoo Cup is all about!

It was a true pleasure to get to meet you and your family this year and I look forward to seeing y'all next year! Well done!

-Clif