Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects official start to my 54 project!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baggs, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Baggs

Baggs

here is one more. i set a fender on just to see what it looks like. i will say im happy with the way it looks, but im hoping it settles another 3 inches!!!

Attached Files:

2. skoh73

skoh73

Baggs, I can't remember- did you go with the Aerostar springs in the front yet? She probably will settle a bit, but those will definitely do the job.

3. Baggs

Baggs

Well i bought a set of "dropped" spindles, (fatman). plus all the granada brake parts. i have a photo of the car from way back when it was bought. it is def. lower than it was in that picture. but not much. i also cut one coil off of the springs in the front. i also have two inch blocks in the rear. i know the car doesnt have all the weight it will in the future. there are no fluids, not front end etc. so maybe with the added weight it will come down enough. if it doesnt i will either get the areostar springs, or the lower a-arm spacers. and add another block in the rear. im just a freak when it comes to how something sits. if it doesnt sit right i dont like it no matter what. i have a vision in my head of how it should look and it has a ways to go!!

4. skoh73

skoh73

Even if the cut coil gets you where you want to be height-wise once everything is hooked up and in, the Aerostar springs will give you a VERY noticeable change in handling. I have heard the exact opposite of cut coils. And, for under $100 brand new, how could you go wrong? Good luck!

5. Baggs

Baggs

ok, so its been awile since i have updated my build. i have made some really good progress in the last few weeks. i re-bought my headers and some other parts. got the headers installed, finished up all the brake lines except the ones that run up to the master. got my new radiator in and it looks great. got the core support in. pulled out my original wire harness, and thank god because there were alot of nasty wired up under the dash. got a new rebel wire kit half way installed. finally got my gennie shifter swan stick and installed that, and it fits great!! finished all my fuel lines. so all in all i have been busy lately and im really trying to get this going in the month of september. its looking promising. with some help from slim53, and bryan6902 i should be driving next month!!! here are some photos to show what ive been up to, thanks for looking!!

6. Baggs

Baggs

few more photos
    one of me standing on the front end hoping it settles that much!!! and one of its garage mate until its running, nice having the same car next to mine to help put it back together!!

7. skoh73

skoh73

Not sure if you mentioned it or not already, but I would definitely paint that visor the same color as the roof. Just my 2 cents, of course do what you like.

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Looks AWSOME ! I notice you are from Mn just like me! Just thought that was funny/cool ! Cant wait to see it done!!
    -Jason

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just found this thread and read it all the way through. What a jewel! Dig those headers too, who made 'em?

10. Baggs

Baggs

the headers are hedman. number 88400. someone on the 52-6 social group was able to find them. they fit perfect with the 302 swap on these cars. there were under 200 bucks too!!

11. Baggs

Baggs

i agree, if i were going to keep it. the roof is checked quite a bit. so i think for a quick weekend project im going to paint the roof white again and fill the whole for the visor. the visor doesnt really fit what im going for on this car.

12. good call...IMHO, visors don't really look right on 54 Fords.

13. vegasmax

vegasmax
    BANNED
    from Texas

I used the brakes off a 1979 T bird, a lot better brake set up than the gradana they have small pistion. Used the master and porp valve too. Need a small busg=hing in the bottom ball joint hole and that's it! very easy great brakes!
    Also vintage air works great us the Gen air 2 I can give you a headds up on the install, the folks at vintage air are no help. Ron Vegasmax

14. Baggs

Baggs

Personally i really dont like visors on anything!!!! except semi trucks!:D

15. ols'kool

ols'kool
    from Wisconsin

What a cool ride. I can't wait to see. See you are from MN, plan on Back to the 50's with it when done. Looks like you are doing it right!

16. Baggs

Baggs

btt50s for sure!! thanks!! i just cant wait to open up my garage and see it sitting there and knowing that all i have to do is hit the key and away i go!!! hopefully in another month.

17. Baggs

Baggs

ok so its been awhile since i have made a progress update, but i have been busy working on it trying to get it ready for a fellow club members party on the 24th of sep. so here is some updates. i have many more pictures than this but i thought i would just cover the major steps. so as the car sits now i have the exterior 100% put back together including the grille, and for those that have played with a grille for a 54 ford you know how BIG of a pain they are to assemble!!! but i got it done with minimal damage to me and the grille! i have all of my brake lines finished, and master cylinder in, all shocks in, 85% of the new rebel wire harness installed, trans cooler lines made and installed. i also flipped my trans crossmember to allow the back of the tranny to drop for a better angle. this also helped me out inside the car so i dont have to make such a huge cover for the floor shift. i also got the gennie shifter stick installed, no shifter knob yet (still deciding on it). undercoated the floors, got my autometer gauges installed for the basic things, oil, temp, voltage. installed my holley carb, and the lokar throttle linkage, cable, and aod kickdown cable. glad i bought the good stuff on this one, everything worked together well and the way it should. im sure im forgetting some things but i will post them up as i remember. so the plan for the car now is to finish up all the wiring inside the car, prime the oil system, drain and fill the tranny and install a new filter, have an alignment done, exhaust done, and install my fuel tank, (not in that order of course). the plan is to have it road worthy for a party called the Bull Bash put on by a fellow hamber and a fellow scavenger on the 24th of sep at his house. a interesting thing also is that labor marks one year exactly that I and ssleeper pulled all the parts out of the shed and started this project. not too bad for my first build i thought!!!! its getting there and i have had a lot of help from bryan6902, slim53, bull, sleeper, ringo57 and many others in this journey. thanks to all and i cant wait to go cruising with you all!!!

Attached Files:

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Personally I like the visors on 52-54 Fords the ones on the Victoria flow into the lines better than the sedans do,you are lucky to have one! used ones are $$$ for the Victorias. But if you still think it's ugly just box it up and send it to Phoenix to keep the sun out of my eyes in exchange for all that advice I gave you,LOL

19. Baggs

Baggs

Well i think i can finally say that the car is done!!! for the most part anyway. i spent a long weekend and many hours getting the car running and fixing leaks, making some new brake lines, re-sealing things....etc. but i got it figured out!! i can honestly say my happiness with the car is a solid 8.5 out of 10. only losing points due to no carpet, and noisy interior. but that is to come next spring. i have ran two tanks of fuel thorugh the car so far, tinkered with with the aod setup and i can say im pretty happy with the way it is right now. im thinking i will lower the car another inch or two unless it settles over the winter. im going to wait until spring to mess with the suspension. im just going to try to enjoy it while i can before the snow flies up here in MN. I want to say thanks to all those on the hamb that have given me help with info, given me inspiration, and just nice words about this project. im 28 years old and this is my first build, and it has gone better than i could have imagined. overall this project took one year and two weeks to complete to where it is now. i have attached the newest photos of the car, and the last two are actually photos that were given to me from my wifes grandma (who i bought the car from). those pictures were taken approx in the late 70s before her grandpa took it all apart, and if you look back in to earlier posts and photos you can see how it was when i started on it. My wifes granparents bought the car in Kansas and drove it home to MN in the mid 70s. thanks again HAMB!!!

Attached Files:

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That came out real nice! I agree, a little lower wouldn't hurt but it still looks good.

21. lookin' good!

but.......... I'd paint the visor to match the roof

22. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Cool ride and visor on it looks awesome

Drive the tires off of it!!!!

23. slim53

slim53

Looks great man. Can't wait to go for a ride....Cali maybe?

24. skoh73

skoh73

Looks killer! Did you use the Aerostar springs in the front? You seem to have the right mindset- drive her as much as you can before the white stuff starts coming down and if she needs an altitude adjustment in the back come spring, do it then. Nice work.

25. Baggs

Baggs

I think illstick to the midwest...

26. bryan6902

bryan6902

Looks great! We need to do a shot with yours, mine, slim53, sleeperSS and Bull's fresh rides before the snow flies. 23rd will hopefully work for all of us.

27. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Awesome how it turned out! You got a reall keeper there!

28. Baggs

Baggs

Bryan, i think that is a great idea. i can bring out nice camera with. plus it sounds like we will all be there with our cars. i just dont know if adam will have the tudor. we will have to talk him into it.

29. Baggs

Baggs

Been awhile since ive updated this thread. So here goes! Since the last post alot has happened on the fifty four. Had about 75% of the interior completed, (carept, Headliner, kick panels). Ive lowered the car more and I think im finally happy with the stance. Ive added some lake pipes for the time being. Still deciding if I will hook them up and keep them or not. I had a set of Bias Ply Sears Allstate tires on the car since I finished it and they were ok. THey were never driven on but had been sitting around for a long time. The balanced fine and rode ok. On my way home from Des Moines this year I had a tread seperate on me and for my wife and me that was enough to make me look into radial whites. I ended up going with Diamondback and I couldnt be happier! The dont have the same look as bias, but for my wife's safety, my safety and our to be born child's safety I think they were the right choice. The only other future plans I have for the car is a updated radio system (something Hidden) to keep the stock appearing radio face. Then maybe an AC under dash unit. For body mods I would like to change a few minor things if I get to it. Louver a hood, shave some emblems and paint the visor to match the roof. I will say the funnest part of this car has been driving it!!! It is fun building the car, but being able to hop in it and drive it to work, drive it to the grocery store, drive it with no destination is what I really enjoy! When more changes I will add updates. But for now I think this will do! Without the HAMB I dont think this car would be on the road!!

Jason

Attached Files:

30. droppedstepside

droppedstepside
    from new jersey

Damn, this car is pretty much perfect! Nice work.