Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from the rainy place

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by gasolinescream, Aug 12, 2011.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Thought i better do an intro, thought i had but couldn't find it so here goes. Names Dan, live in Birmingham in the UK, kind off middle of the country. Been watching on the Hamb for a few years and thought it was time to register. 44 years old, training to be a teacher with 14-19 year olds that have had a hard time for whatever reasons. Had to sell a nice T to fund my studies but still manage to scoot about in my old mild Amazon cruiser and tow a crazy late 60's caravan to the shows. Mainly into the type of stuff that graces the HAMB, hence me being here. Long term,once qualified i hope to get my dream A coupe with a flatty. Few more years to go but sure it will happen. Really enjoy the HAMB, don't know what i can chirp in with, i'm a master autoglazier by trade so maybe some help there but for now i'll enjoy the chat and learn what i can. Always happy to track down stuff for those that may run British tin so just shout up if i can help.

All the best Dan

2. stickwelder

stickwelder

From one newbie to another welcome from way out west in Oregon. I was a high school shop teacher for a few years. Tough job, wear comfortable shoes. Good Luck.

3. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hey Stickwelder, yep sucks being a FNG but hey ho , only been around the rod and kustom scene 20+ years but have to start somewhere. Comfy shoes, you have to be kidding, i need steel toe caps,a can of tear gas and a big stick at my college!!! There's riots going where i live and all over the UK at the moment and pretty sure i saw a student i know running off out a shop with a TV. Oh well so much for my social awareness classes. Take it easy and catch you around.

Dan

4. Dan,
    Welcome from Michigan.

5. Just Gadget

Just Gadget

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from New Deal, Tennessee!

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Thanks for the greetings, much appreciated. Thought i best at least put a pic up of my ride, nothing fancy as broke learning to be a teacher and paying my study fees (over 8K!!!). Cars a 65 Amazon that was restored about 8 years ago and real tidy inside/outside/underneath. Not some real nice US car but they are kind of hard to find here. Actually wanted a more door, don't like the lines of a 2 door so much and as my mates are always jumping in it, 4 doors make more sense. Just junked the original motor and gone for a bigger 2.0 version of the same and got an O/D box going in sometime soon. Different car to drive now and keeps up with modern day traffic no problems, even with the van attatched. Winter plans go something like a 2" drop in the front and 3-4" in the back (slight taildragger stance),new shocks all round, adjustable on the back due to my caravan, side pipes, new and modded bumpers with 52 Caddy rear over-riders, lourved bonnet, kustom front grill and a new carpet set. Nothing too wild, don't have the money for that, i really am broke but enjoy driving it and it not being another 2/3 year garage project. It's a poor mans Merc here in Euroland but had a few before and do love them and cheap to run, fuel is expensive here and parts are cheap and easy to get.
    Money will always be tight for a few years so as much as i'd love an A coupe or a very early 50's Chevy i think the next step is a PV544 volvo, slammed and mostly stock. Love the styling, fat fenders etc and will fit in a UK garage and not be an issue keeping on the road, especially with the laws always making it harder. Nice warmed B20 and O/D should scoot along just great.Hey can always dream. Just have to go to the Netherlands to buy a good one but don't mind a roadtrip.
    The caravan is a late 60's/early 70's model that gets taken to the shows. Now modded to look more early than late. It's mint original inside though i've replaced all the fabrics inside, added a hidden stereo and sure beats being in a tent.Camping is a big part of the UK show scene and after years of being in a tent this place is heaven. It's real good fun, our mobile clubhouse, can cook up a storm and a great place to lay my drunken head at the shows. Matched the rims to my car, got a few more mods to come but it's all cheap fun and to me thats what its about. Whole lot , car and van, owes me less than 3K so far though the mods over winter will see another 1K(ish) being thrown on the car and van. Cheap laughs and more looks than a streaking nun!!! Once qualified as a teacher maybe it will all go, maybe it won't but for now i'm doing the best i can with what i have (not alot) and at least cruising my car, having fun with my mates and doing what shows i can. I know its a million miles off the sort of cars that grace this place but like to think it at least has the right idea.

So there you go, life story or what!!!

All the best Dan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

love those old Volvo's.

welcome to teh HAMB from an ex-limey

8. Dan,
    Welcome from another RnS'r from the highlands!!
    Charlie!!

9. Welcome Dan!

I have some business associates in West Dudley. How close are you?

10. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

About 12k away and driving over this weekend to use a friends pillar drill and drill out holes in some steel rod for my new shifter.

Are your friends in the car/hobby related???

Cheers Dan

11. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Welcome aboard! LOVING your car and caravan combo! Just spent three weeks visiting our families back in England, took Mum and Dad to the Lake District for a couple of days and popped into the Lakeside Auto Museum. WELL worth the trip!!

12. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Wow what a small world. The Lakes are a nice part of the UK for a trip, just rains alot! Hope the UK weather wasn't too bad whilst you were here. Where were you from? Thanks for the kind words on my combo, hardly any where near the sort of stuff on here but i do get a buzz from it and if nothing else we have a good laugh doing our thing.

As with anyone else reading this if your ever trying to track down stuff in the UK shout up and i'll do my best to help.

Take it easy, Dan

13. ibarodder

ibarodder

Welcome from Mattoon, Illinois U.S.A.

14. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Hey Dan! I'm originally from Liverpool, my wife from Teignmouth in Devon. Been in NYC a few years now! Got a soft spot for caravanning, as we spent a wonderful holiday in one in Towyn, North Wales as a kid. It was actually my Mum and Dad's honeymoon!!! There's a nice one at the Lakeside Museum. Travelled around New Zealand in a Camper Van in '97, a bit similar.

15. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Welcome and enjoy the Hamb!

16. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from the Netherlands!

17. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Welcome from Ga

Grommet

18. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hahahaha honeymoon, in Wales, in a caravan, brilliant. No honeymoons but that sounds like holidays i had as a kid in Rhyl. Hope these guys are looking after you now then. Was hoping trip to VLV but it was toss up between that or getting my ride sorted for next year and the car won, as ever! Promised myself a trip out there sometime, never know i may get to know a few folks and have someone to say hi to when/if the day comes. Got the invite aswell, cheers.

Also thanks to others that have said hi, great to feel part of of a place and learning so much and seeing some truely inspiring stuff. Place got me that pumped earlier, sun was shining and warm so threw my last £10 towards fuel, went for a quick cruise and believe it or not it didn't rain.

Thanks again for the welcome, really appreciate it.

Take it easy out there, where ever there is.

Dan

19. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hey fella look after all those tidy PV544's for me, roadtrip later next year may be on the cards. Told the Netherlands is the best place to go and find a PV. Can you give me any good places, sites etc i could be looking at in the meantime to track one down and start to get an idea on what sort of money i can find them for? As in my post i'm in hurry to lose the Amazon but no problem doing a bit of window shopping and finding out what money i need to get together.

Cheers Dan

20. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

You should make the trip to VLV!! It's a great weekend (but only if you like Rockabilly and Hot Rods!!)

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Hahaha yep i fit the bill, i think. My sisters kid saw Grease for the first time and came around the other day so i could fix her car. She says " uncle dan i get it now, your one of those blokes in the film grease aren't you, you know greasy hair, white t-shirt and big turn up's on your jeans, they drove cars just like those old ones your always working on".

Bless her:D

22. tattooscratch

tattooscratch
    from Romania

way cool amazon Dan

23. fitty_2

fitty_2

Welcome from Boston!

Volvo Amazons hold a cherished place here, among other earlier domestics!!

cheers!

nater

24. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Edited as change of mind and slight re-think

Recently i had a health scare that has made me look at the world in a slightly different way. I had put my combo up for sale but thats now changed. After a cruise out in it i'd be mad to sell it, same goes for my van, unless a real bargain can be found. But what i am going to do is buy another car, either of the cars i've been talking about in previous posts. I want a PV544, love them, the little fat fendered euro beauties. If not a PV it will be an early Chevy 2 door of some sorts. I need to find out more about Chevys but thats what this place about. I'd be happy in either of them and a US car would be great. I'll start looking early next year and see what comes up. Both are cars i like, about the same money, see what happens. In the meanwhile carry on with the Amazon and first of all get it closer to mother nature. Who says 2 cars is too much!!!!

Onwards and upwards!!!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011