Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wagon Guys......What's the difference on a Parkwood or Brookwood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadFarmer, Aug 20, 2011.

1. I found a '61 chevy Wagon that I think can be had for super cheap. It's really straight, has the third row for seating, SBC (im guessing 283) and looks to have a 4-speed.

It's a brookwood, I've seen there are Parkwoods also, anyone know what the difference is?

What should it be worth? IT has some rust in the bottom of the tail gate and two of the doors. The rest is real straight.

Thanks for the help. I'll post pics this afternoon

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The state of trim on it. I think my grandparents had a 61 Parkwood and the Brookwood was a level up from that if I remember right.

From poking on this site it looks like there were Parkwoods, Brookwoods and Nomads in 61. http://www.oldride.com/library/1961_chevrolet_impala.html

It sounds like fun and to me is one of the best looking wagons Chevrolet built.

I know that a pair of grandparents can pack a passel of grandkids in one and head out for the hills or on vacation pretty comfortably.

3. Thanks for the help....I figured if I could get it cheap enough, it'd be cool to do for the fam after my '55. I'd rather have a hot rod......but itd be fun to take the whole fam damily on a trip too.

4. belair

belair

The Nomad was a 4-door, I guess in place of an Impala wagon. Sounds like a fun car, good luck with it.

5. scrubba

scrubba

Brookwood = Biscayne

Parkwoods = Bel Airs

scrubba

6. Here's the pics, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

7. Furious Styles

Furious Styles

I love wagons and that looks pretty complete, if it is reasonably priced it has lots of potential, one of my favorite chevy wagons.

8. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

i had a 69 parkwood,i always wondered myself the difference.

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Looks very solid....Course, I'm used to rusty Illinois cars. :(:(:(

10. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like scrubba said....
    Brookwood = Biscayne, although it was the only model to come as a 4 door and a 2 door wagon, mostly used by delivery people and handymen .Bottom of the line

Parkwood= Belair, a little more trim and available with the third row seat

Nomad= Impala, most options and trim and powertrain choices , only available in 4 door though....of course I'm talking about the 59-60 models

11. Snatch it up if the price is right....My favorite longroof!

12. 1961 Chevrolet Full size wagons
    Brookwood 6 Passenger Biscayne trim line
    Parkwood 6 Passenger Bel Air trim line
    Kingswood 9 Passenger Bel Air trim line
    Nomad 6 Passenger Impala trim line
    All were four door
    "61 Wagons are not very common. It would be a very cool car to build. Good luck!

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Cool, Has the sufboard.errrrr luggage rack already!

14. Haha ya, I was diggin the rack too!

15. I was actually coveting the rack... I have a '59 'Crookwood' :)

16. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

it's just plain old farm junk..give me directions & i'll be there in a bit,LOL.......i love long roofs/wagons.snatch it up!!!

17. pumpman

pumpman

Here is our family funster, I really don't know the difference between the two brands, ours is a two door with no third seat. That wagon looks pretty darn nice.

Attached Files:

18. Nomad, Parkwood, Brookwood. Nomad had Impala like side trim, Parkwood had Belair single like side trim, Brookwood had no side trim....

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

So whats the word..any luck?

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Get it.. Wagons are cool.....

21. It's parked in the backyard of an abandoned house here in town. I found someone that knows the guy who owns the house. He said that the guy lives about 45 mins away and usually checks on the place a couple times a year. I gave him my number and he said he'd call the guy. My middleman gets a lot of business from me at work, so hopefully he puts in a good word for me. I can't quit thinking about it!

22. I'm not sure what to offer the guy for it. Any ideas guys? $1000?
    I don't HAVE to have it, but it'd be cool to scoop it up as a future project.

23. TexasDart

TexasDart

if it's a true 4 speed car from the factory that is pretty rare and makes it worth more.

24. That what I was wondering.....283 with a 4speed in a base model wagon....has to be pretty rare...not that i care about its originality

25. flatout65

flatout65
    from mid tenn

you sure it wasnt a 3 on the tree converted to the floor?

roof rack and 3rd seat with no bumper steps makes me think somethings not stock on there. so their could be other things swapped around

if it was near me i'd snatch it up, but i also have a huge thing for 61-63 chebbies....all types!

26. I thought the same thing about maybe a 3 on the tree converted to floor....I looked at the column...and didnt see a spot where the shifter should be, but maybe someone did a deal good instal back in the day. I probably wouldnt keep the manual trans in it anyway. I want something my wife can drive and feel comfortable in.

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

a friend of mine had a brookwood. he bought a totaled 409 impala and took all the drivetrain and put it in the wagon. it was cool as hell and looked factory.

28. In '61, 4 speed was only available with a big block. that would be 348 or 409.

29. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

It also has one piece bumpers...

30. slammed

slammed

Less than $2000.00 is a deal. Pull the trigger. There are a set of Supremes in the classifieds. Getting it running and I can buff that beach up nice for cheap!