Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use a stock "A" tank?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2ratty4u, Aug 19, 2011.

1. 2ratty4u

2ratty4u
    from dallas, tx

Anyone use a stock model a fuel tank? I want to take mine out and get it cleaned and such, but the more I read, the more I find negative comments on doing it. Who's running one? Problems? Solutions? Would you have done anything different? I just won't have extra room in the back for a fuel tank. Thanks guys!

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The only problem, if it is a problem, is that you need to install a shut-off valve like the original A had in the line so the carb or carbs won't get flooded. Some do, some don't, better safe than sorry.

3. The other issue is more practical.
    I removed the tank so I could put hanging pedals, gages and fuse panel behind the dash, that's valuable real estate in a model A.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i use the stock tank. no problems.

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Stock tank as well. Just use a good shutoff valve.

6. Stocker....no issues.

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Had a stocker running in my dads for nearly 30 years now. A shutoff valve and youre good. Makes great conversation running the original fuel gauge too!

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Mine has stock tank with shut off, works fine! Yep mine is sporting a new fuel gauge as well, working of course!

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

28,29 stock tanks tend to seep around column mount.. They were riveted and soldered when new and loosen up over time....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. Mine got a rinse out, a slush with Macs slushing compound, a brand new shutoff valve, new in-tank filter and a new fuel gauge. No problem. The slushing compound is fantastic for sealing up any little pinholes.

11. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Still have mine ,over 80 years on the truck without a problem.

12. flthd31

flthd31

Stock tank with new shutoff...no problem.
    I took out the original gas gauge and turned down a Stewart Warner sending unit to fit the hole. Works great. I put a 32 style dash in front of the tank and had just enough room for the gauges.

Attached Files:

13. I'm using a stock tank in my A with an 8BA. Mine leaked at both the shutoff valve and where the steering column mounted to the underside of the tank. Fixed the leak at the shutoff valve with a new ball valve, and fixed the leak at the column by wire brushing the heck out of it when empty, and then going around the mount with epoxy. Painted to match, and no leaks.

14. daddio211

daddio211

I ran the stock tank in my A, but my experience was a little different.

When I got my car the tank had already been welded (and smoothed with bondo) in place. Taking it out for cleaning wasn't an option. Well, it was, but was more work than I was willing to do.

I cleaned that tank (through the filler neck) with water and brush for DAYS. When I finally got the car roadworthy I found out just how much I DIDN'T clean. The first 500 miles I spent emptying out a filter with removable brass element... it was a huge pain in the ass. After about 500 miles I switched to a clear plastic filter and had very little sediment or scale after that.

If I were to do it over again I would have removed the tank to clean it properly. If it was impossible to remove I would have run a '32 tank, but I don't really care for those on an A with an A chassis if you know what I mean.

15. 2ratty4u

2ratty4u
    from dallas, tx

So, I guess my next concern would be remembering to shut off the fuel line EVERY time I park. Is it necessary every time, or only for extended periods, or...? I just took out the original shut off while preparing to remove the tank.

Also, is there any sort of electric valve or something I could add that would open and close with the ignition? Or something that would act similar?

16. Fenders

Fenders

I understand some 30-31's also had a problem at the column mount -- which is why Ford went to a separate column mount for the late 31. It attached above the dash area.

Those late 31 column mounts, attached to the firewall in reverse, can make a nice lower column mount in a rod, see photo.

But to answer the question, many do run the original A tank, go for it.

Attached Files:

17. studematt

studematt

I shut mine off EVERY time.

18. 2ratty4u

2ratty4u
    from dallas, tx

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

We shut ours off if were done driving for the day or putting it in storage, sometimes leave it on for a week or two with no issues.

20. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Shutting it off becomes second nature after a while.You can leave it turned on but if you have a leak at the needle and seat it will fill your motor with gas.The shut off might help if you car is taken most people don't think about opening the valve.

21. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I used the stock tank and glad i did.Mine didnt have any holes in it that i could see,but i got a local guy to use a creamer to coat the tank,to make sure that it didnt leak and its been a year and no problems.

22. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I use stock tank with pre-74 Harley aftermarket petcock which I modified to let the fuel flow both normal and reserve holes at the same time.
    No pump now with the A carb and electric pump when I use my OHV engine with two 97's.
    Have worked well for years.

23. I use the stock tank. Good shutoff and I close it EVERY time. Never a problem

24. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I've used the stock tank on two flathead A's, only problem was a sticky needle valve in a 94 empitied the tank into the intake overnight and filled the oilpan with gas, use a shutoff.

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Yea, my first car was a stock A, I liked it. It was unusual and neat to watch the fuel bounce around in the sight glass. But in a rod I might thiink twice about it. There usually is a gasoline smell with them but In my first rod [265 chevy in stock A] my home made engine mounts interfered with the fuel pump so I used the gravity feed feature for awhile! When it was low on fuel and stood on it, --it would cut out becuz the fuel flow would stop!