Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Thanks SPEEDWAY Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vrod64, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Bought some 5 x 4.5 new ET Gasser wheels from SPEEDWAY MOTORS. Arrived in 3 days. Great.

Mounted a new set of Coker tires on them. Great

Mounted them on my Falcon and torqued to 75 PSI. Great

Took it for a spin...steering wheel started to shimmy . Not good.:eek:

Took wheel off-remounted and the same deal. Hmmm So I mount them to my Roadster and took it for a spin and one of the damn wheel was bent. Actually it must have been machined wrong.:confused:

On the inside of the wheel, one area was machined down 1/4". 180 degrees around and they it was machined over 3/4" and took 2.5 oz of lead to balance. The other wheel required 3.5 oz.:eek:

Called Speedway and talked with Brian Robinson and BINGO....He sent me a return slip and is sending me another set of wheels. Great

Nice to do business with this type of company. Thanks SPEEDWAY !

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Yeah Speedway has always been great to do business with

3. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Same here. Even when I got a recommendation for a part & I ordered the wrong part they still took back the parts and sent me the right ones. I will definately keep them in my "favorites" section!

4. rebelrat

rebelrat

Was looking at those myself when I saw that ford hubs have to be turned down to fit, see instructions on there page

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like Speedway.......

6. Jay Yuskaitis

Jay Yuskaitis

I've dealt with Speedway since about 1960, good luck except for ONE transaction and a lousy ending for me. My fault for not reading the small print. Since then, about 1990, I've read every little bit of info, "let the buyer beware", and have had no other problems with them. I'll continue to deal with them. Talked with "Big Bill" on numerous occasions over the years, doubt he is taking many calls at this stage of the game. Jay Y.

7. Only had one bad experience with them in may deals. Bought some SBC valve cover adapters that were drilled and tapped in the wrong place. Tried them with stock valve covers, Edelbrock valve covers, cal-custom valve covers just to make sure I wasn't wrong.
    I wasn't.
    Drove the 50 miles to their store in Lincoln and placed my valve covers, my gaskets and their adapters on the counter...some young kid just shrugged his shoulders. I asked him to grab a few more pairs of their adapters off the shelf..maybe only one pair were machined wrong. He obliged me and we had about 6 pairs of them on the counter.......all drilled wrong. He just stood there...giving me a stupid look.
    I asked if they'd refund my money and still got the silly look.
    Pissed me off and I left...went home and modified them to fit my covers.
    Havent' seen that kid on the counter since. I still do bidness with them but I'm a little more careful now. no big deal but it's something I won't forget.

8. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I've had no problems with them either.

9. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

They do have a great selection for the do it your self fabricator at a reasonable price, and for someone that is on a tight budget like myself.

10. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

They sent me the wrong part one time, turned out to be their fault. They sent me the right one, AND a $20 gift card!!!

11. 1RuleRods

1RuleRods

I've bought from them since 1999 and always had great service

12. Should have mentioned.....yes they were/are machined down. When I had them balanced, the tech made a comment about the one wheel.

Thanks

V

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

never had a bad thing to say about Speedway or their service. Bought a lot with them. My dad got his T bucket parts from them in the early 70s and has been a lifetime customer.

14. indianhead74

indianhead74

I've always liked the fact that Speedy Bill is a hot rodder thru and thru. In this business climate it's certainly tough enough to make a liv'in let alone build a hot rod. Speedway is one of the gooduns! Indy

15. Ok....Just pulled the defective ET Gasser wheel off that was the wobble source. The one that Speedway was so nice to replace.............Guess what. take a look at the inside machining of the wheel. One side has 1/4" inch machined and 180 degrees around has 3/4" machined off.:confused:

Maybe this is why it wobbles and takes 3 1/4 oz of lead to balance.

Like I said, Speedway backed the part, but it was not their fault.

Not Cool for $ 279.99 per wheel. The box DOES NOT say where it was made ?:eek: ET Wheel alert......

16. Ricky B

Ricky B

I got my Offy I6 valve cover from Speedway.......friends dig it !!!!!!!!

17. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I have bought form Speedway for many years.Mostly good parts. I did have a vibration with one of their driveshaft/slip yolks. took to local driveshaft co. They found slip yolk was out of round. Looked like Chinese parts.

18. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

I have bought tons of race related stuff from speedway over 15 years and never had any problems. Also had great customer service. Even the best business' have problems sometimes and when they make it up to you thats what makes them great.

19. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I've also purchased from Speedway for many years and have found that they have good service and a liberal return policy. However, after moving to Hawaii they use the most expensive shipping available, when USPS at least a quarter of the price. I ordered a SW Tach w/$30 FEDEX shipping and returned it for $6 via USPS. They shipped it in a huge box full of air bags. For two brake fittings that would have fit in a padded envelope, they shipped it in a 1 sq ft box. Very expensive and unnecessary.

As for parts, unfortunately most aftermarket parts are now hecho en China - along with most everything else you buy parts for...sign of the times. It's now the norm instead of the exception. Sad really.

20. N2hotrods

N2hotrods

Thanks speedway motors for 20 years of good prices and great service.

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

YI...YI..YI...Lucy!..you got sum splainin to do!

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If a company sells enough stuff some problems are bound to occur. What makes the difference between a good company and a not so good one is how they react to that problem and help solve it. Speedway and Summit have stepped up to the plate a bunch of times for the few issues we have had, and that is why we keep ordering from them. I can't imagine what this hobby would be like if we didn't have sources like both of those companies. :)

Don

23. bobscogin

bobscogin

They're my first "go to" source. I only deal with other vendors when I can't get something from them, and that ain't often.

Bob