Register now to get rid of these ads!

small block Ford into 32 rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by H.R.charlie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. H.R.charlie

H.R.charlie

I would like to put a 302 into my 32 3 window.I'm starting with a new So-Cal 32 frame.The original frame had been tortured over the years and just waned a good solid foundation.I have to put new Ford motor mounts in it because it came through with Chevy mounts(long story).I need some measurements for the new Ford mounts.So-Cal told me the placement is vague because of the water pump and fan set up.They also said the firewall would have to be modified regardless of the equipment.Is there a way around this,I don't want to cut the firewall.Any measurements,suggestions and tips would be helpful.Thanks in advance.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You may be able to get away without cutting the firewall. There is a member on here (whose name I forget right now) whose car I have seen at Billetproof, and he is using a sbf with an uncut firewall. I don't think he is using a short water pump setup, as I recall.

But, if you need to make the engine shorter you have a couple of ways to go. Ford Racing sells a short water pump and timing cover, plus you might need their racing damper (I did) and pulleys from Runne Rite.

Another route is the Snow White setup that uses an Opel water pump, but I have no experience with that one. Either the Ford Racing or Snow White cut off about 1.5 to 2 inches.

What I would do is put your firewall into position then place the engine back as far as possible, while still giving some room between the block and firewall. Then you can see how much room that leaves you when you put the radiator into place. With the 106 inch wb the Deuce has you should be able to squeeze that one in there pretty easily, compared to a model A with only a 103.5 wb.

BTW, the mounts I used on mine are for a 63 Ford Falcon Sprint, but that part was probably used on lots of Fords with 289-302's.

Don

3. dcwest32

dcwest32

Hey Gharlie PM me and I will give you some help on changing Socal frame and have done a couple of SBF 32s

4. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

you'll also need a oilfilter adapter if your using a vega box, stock filter will be right in the box. also need to make sure you mount the motor abit higher than you would a chevy or the fuel pump will also make whoopie with the box.

not sure on firewall I cheated and made my own.

5. rallisracing

rallisracing

there are also mounts with different heights. ..seems like 302 mavericks were about 1/2' taller to help clear shock towers..

6. slepe67

slepe67

yes it does! I'm stuffing one in my car now. I am using flathead motor mounts and made my own brackets. I'll look forthe photos of the design I borrowed. Look for some of my posts on the matter. You should find them

302 w/ Hilborn injection, 4 speed toploader.

7. dcwest32

dcwest32

8. spooledup

spooledup

In setups that ive done. The c/l of the engine mount is 16 3/4". Back from front axle c/l. The mount is also 1-1 1/2 inches down from the top of the rail. That is using mount part number i think is an advance autobparts number m2287.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boxed my frame area & used stock FOMOCO motor mounts---Works great!
    Yes, you are going to have to cut the bottom of the firewall slightly to clear the rear intake manifold area. All this BS about running shorter water pumps, etc. is bogus if you are a true driver. Just try & replace a shortened water pump when you are out in "nowhere" on the road.
    By using all stock FOMOCO parts, I can still get my hand between radiator & end of pulley. I use an electric fan mounted high as possible on radiator to clear water pump pulley, & an expansion round cyl. on right side for pop off from radiator.
    All this has been used successfully for 300,000 miles now, since 1968 & making 5 trips across the USA.
    Good luck on your SBF project!!!---------Don

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One view!

Attached Files: