Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 2, 2009.

1. hammered30

hammered30
    from west aus

just ordered some head gaskets for my 392 hemi through this companywww.scegaskets.com they have a large range of gaskets for all types of engines. the ones i was looking for where 60 thou over 80 thou thick they told me no problem . also told them i lived in australia they said no problem we ship around the world. i hope this helps someone .thanks scootermcrad for your help

2. Gasket trip.... It's time for a NEW set- I have an older set that I don't feel comfortable using. Best,Fel pro, others? Recomendations and experiences will apply here. I have other "remedies" for potential leaks,but after going for the long haul, it's kinda do your homework at home,and not worry while playing. 58 354. Mild build w/ some cam,intake/carb,and pipes.....Thanks.:confused:

3. 35desoto

35desoto

I'd say you have a warped head or even worse a warped block
    Only way to straighten them is to have them planed - not a hard job but a precise job

4. 35desoto

35desoto

Sorry to disagree but the 1956 Plymouth came with a 277 poly v8 which is defintely an "A" series poly engine

5. 35Desota is correct....the 277 and the Fury 303 from 1956 are the first of the "318 poly" motors....like I have in my 56's....

6. George

George

You should be able to get Fel-Pro from Rock Auto.

7. BashingTin

BashingTin

Hey, thanks George!

I had never thought to look at Rock Auto for Hemi parts.

I see the Fel-Pro gasket set for my engine is $2 less than the "Best Gasket" brand. I was always under the impression that the Fel-Pro sets where a LOT more expensive. At least with all the suppliers I've found so far.

Good to know!

David

8. Abomination

Abomination

You're right!

Sorry - I get caught up in 318 land over here a lot. Maybe I should stop sleeping with mine...

Hey, it's got a lot of speed parts on it. Don't judge me. :cool:

~Jason

9. BashingTin

BashingTin

Hello smart people. :D

I'm getting ready to purchase a full engine gasket set for the 392 I'm using in my project. The engine will be mild street use only, so no special needs that I can think of.

Has anyone got any complaints or praise between the two most common sets? Best Gasket set vs the Fel-Pro set? They're only a few dollars difference in price so that's a non-issue.

I did notice that the Fel-Pro set #FS7908PT4 is listed for both the 354 and the 392, where the Best set has it's own separate part number for the 392 set, compared to the number for the 354 set. I was under the impression that the 354 used 3/8" head dowels, and the 392 used 5/16" dowels. How does the Fel-Pro set deal with this?

Just thought I would ask before pulling the trigger.

Thanks in advance gentleman,

David

10. 73RR

73RR

The 56-58 sets are essentially the same. FelPro combines 354 and 392 and gives you intake gaskets for both.

Fat dowel pins were on the early engines.

11. George

George

Intake gaskets should be the same, but there should be a diffrence in head gaskets because of the bore sizes, I'd think.

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

"Just for the record, I would like to see those head gaskets from the little Dodge 240/271 hemi overlaid with the later 60's/70's Poly/Knobby head.
    I can see the top row of bolts are not the same, but I bet the bore centers are probably the same and the heads fabbed to work on the later block."

No. 4.1875 vs 4.3125 vs. 4.460 Dodge, Desoto, A and LA

13. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thanks Gary and George!

No change in the head dowel size between the 392 and 354? I was under the impression the low deck Hemi Chryslers (331 and 354) used 3/8" head dowels, and the high deck (392) used the 5/16" dowels. I read somewhere that mother Chrysler did that to keep people from putting low deck heads on the high deck blocks. Something about making sure all the intake manifolds would still fit. Well, sort of, the truck intakes have that tall water port in the middle that will not work easily with the car heads.

I've learned here that with a set of stepped dowel pins, and a set of intake spacers, you are supposed to be able to put low deck heads (331-354) on a high deck block (392). I could be completely wrong! HA! :rolleyes:

14. I just got my 392 running and broken in yesterday. I bought a Best full gasket set for this engine. I have had a Fel Pro head gasket blow on my 330 Desoto. I replaced those with Best also and beat on it for another year without issue. I always buy Best Gaskets now.

15. George

George

The 331s had the other size pins. I've been running Felpro on my 331s w/o any problems.

16. BashingTin

BashingTin

Ah, got it! Thanks George!

I just checked the part numbers for head gaskets on the Best Gasket site. Sure enough, the part number 585G is the same for both the 354 and 392.

17. BashingTin

BashingTin

I just wanted to give a positive "Shout-Out" for the Best Gasket company. They have super fast, friendly, and great customer service!

I ordered one of their engine rebuild gasket set earlier this week for my 392 Hemi project. When my gasket set arrived this morning, I opened it up and noticed there was a small gasket missing from the set. Because the kit was still factory sealed, I assumed it somehow got missed when the kit was being assembled at the factory. "No problem" I thought to myself. Mistakes happen to the best of us.

I contacted Best Gasket and told them what I found. Within an hour I had a response and was informed that my replacement gasket would be shipped out to me today!

It's so nice to do business with a company that is so fast with good customer service. Another good reason to do business with a small company.

I highly recommend Best Gaskets!

David

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I thought I would mention that I now stock early hemi oil pump base gaskets. This gasket fits both bolt patterns of hemi pumps, and can be used in place of the o-ring on very early pumps.

I also now sell the sb mopar oil pump base gaskets also, for those who are running a converted sb pump with the adapter plate.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2012
    RODIST likes this.