Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Ford Unibody LSR Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Mar 23, 2011.

1. I loved checking this truck out and I really dig it.Congratulations on reaching the goal. Tman that storm was crazy when I was leaving the salt yesterday I hope no major damage happened.

2. Looks like a few tents at the bend. One outhouse on the starting line area and tons of mud. Tim left me a message and said Buick59 has the BEST story so I am waiting to hear that (he was camped a mile NW of the bend).

Mikey? Please chime in!?!?!

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Classic picture...nice to know the truck has performed to expectations.

4. Not to be speaking for Tim...........wait, that was my job!:eek: He has a real simple/mild mill in it for shakedowns. He has a methodical progression he did/is doing to this truck. The class record is a titch under 165, look for that and more in coming meets.

I can't describe how much fun I had helping. Tim is tops, I again thank him for the chance to play! When we rolled him to the line the first time I SWEAR he was running nitro since my eyes got blurry:eek:. Damn things were leaking as he sped toward the One. 35 years of reading about actually doing it weighed real heavy on me I will admit. The stupid grin on my face probably showed it!:cool:

5. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

congrats fellas...making us y-block fans proud

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

this was great fun to watch. can't wait til next year. maybe i'll get to see him run with that crazy motor.

7. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

8. Tman, I'm glad you had a great time that is what is is all about. As for goals I wanted to see 130 this year and 127 is pretty close. All in all I'm HAPPY! :D I think I should add a little correction to what Todd said, I have decided to stick with the D/PP class for at least another year so I think this engine will get a lot more compression and I'm in talks for a set of the Mummert heads. I have a Mummert intake already but it will need some port work as we found a modified "B" intake is as good as an out of the box Mummert, atleast in our case. I'll leave this post with our last three timing slips and explanations. Pix to come later. ;)

These are the timing slips from our last day, Mon., after the head and manifold change.
    My best timing slip, close to perfect run.
    [​IMG]
    second run on Mon. set the timing to 40* btdc from 35* and see what happens. Ran good, just not as good.
    [​IMG]
    Last run of Mon. we were hoping for good things with a carb spacer change and the timing set back to 35* but after the first mile the engine got a little rough and you can see what happened to the speed. Haven't had a chance to see what is up with the engine but I'll bet it is a small thing. I didn't feel the need to take my foot out of it.
    [​IMG]

9. One picture for now. The bend after a down pour. :p
    [​IMG]

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It was nice to meet you there. Wish I had been able to hang with your pits for a while. Maybe some other time.

11. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, Looks like you guys are having a BALL ! Wish you all the best. Sure wish you could tuneup/build my Marine 312. . . . Would sound better than a stock build.

Dave

12. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

That would suck.

13. drag_punk

drag_punk

Nice to see the truck in person, nice to meet ya'll. Thanks for hanging out Tman, it was a pleasure.

14. edweird

edweird

no it would'nt. i would rather be there in the rain than here in good weather!

15. It did, we had a few beers and THEN it hit even harder!!!!!!!!! Lost my tent from the rain, wind. And then almost got stuck on the flat it was so slimey. Wish I could have just stayed and waited it out but I had to hit the road early and could not risk getting really stuck!

16. <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=9 width="100%"><TBODY><TR id=ctl02_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_trRow2><TD id=ctl02_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_tdPostCell3 class=TableCell_Light vAlign=top width="24%" nowarp=""></TD><TD id=ctl02_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl20_tdPostCell4 class=TableCell_Light vAlign=top width="76%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top>Got lots of pictures!
    [​IMG]
    waiting to get on the salt at sunrise the first day.
    [​IMG]
    sunrise in the pits as we unload.
    [​IMG]
    moving to tech inspection.
    [​IMG]
    going over him with a fine tooth comb, three issues were found that were easly fixed. Not too bad for a new car. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ys guys Charlie, Ted Keith and Tim
    [​IMG]
    Tim McMaster
    Our little corner of the salt all set up.
    [​IMG]
    Some more of the crew Trent, Tim, Kathy, Carl and Lance.
    [​IMG]
    Adding a little "Go" juice. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drivers meeting on Sat. morning.
    [​IMG]
    Waiting in the staging lane
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  17. While testing in the pits our starter hung up in the flywheel and burnt up the bendix. After that we had to push off from the line. made our best run this way. The starter must have been slowing us down. LOL

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h0uvMTOC5_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

good god that sounds awesome

19. Glad your trip home was safe Tim, thanks for calling last night. The Ranger purred like a kitten and gave me no troubles. Looking forward to next year!

20. Here's some more pix!....:)

[​IMG]
    Tim McMaster
    [​IMG]

You meet some interesting people in the staging lanes, Leslie Porterfield the fastest woman on two wheels. ;)
    [​IMG]
    Tim McMaster

Tman straping me in, he got pretty good at it, essential to the crew as I couldn't do it myself.
    [​IMG]
    Tim McMaster
    [​IMG]
    Tim McMaster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cold water after a sucsessful run. It's 90* outside, I have to wear a fire suit with all the windows up. By the time I wait in line and make a run I'm soaked with sweat. It feels sooooo good when I take off the helmet and jacket.

[​IMG]
    Tim McMaster

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Tman - Did we meet? I know I met some of he truck gius, but if I met you I didn't know it. Sorry to have missed you. I was the large white guy in the big red van at Buddys pit.

22. No Rich, I posted this over on landracing.com but by the time I remembered your red van you guys ALWAYS were on the course when we were in the pits and vice versa. :eek:. I tried to catch you several times, sorry.

I had read and talked to many racers about the new cages/HANs devices and the troubles they have.

Now after strapping Tim in I see it 1st hand. Tim did a great job with his setup. A person really needs to build the cage,select the head restraint and belt combo with care. Then after you get it all sorted out PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE your exits. I basically had to almost climb in and kiss him to get the head restraint hooked up. Very good experience for me. I learned a ton.

We held our breath every time Tim got in or out. All of us were paranoid of bumping the fire bottles! I heard someone tripped theirs while in Tech, not fun and $$$$$$$.

BTW Tim, I have an idea about that tin that kept catching the left lap belt.

23. Well looks like the engine is coming out tomorrow, I went to put another starter on today and found the ring gear had come off the flywheel. Appairently when the starter bendix jammed it moved the ring gear and after three runs it worked it's way off. That must have been the roughness I felt at the end of the last run.

24. Carl made this one, enjoy!

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uQqHH-fHys0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

25. rebelrat

rebelrat

Very cool Tim glad to see you got home safe and sound and you reached your goal's
    Nice one mate !!

26. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Tim, It was great finally meeting you!

You guys kicked ass, and that Ford is even prettier in person!

I'm looking forward to having more time to just B.S. with you and Carl next time.

27. Pulled the trans. back yeasterday to see the ring gear off the flywheel. after getting the flywheel out found that the ring gear had expanded and would just fall right on the flywheel. I tried a couple of gears I took off two cast 'wheels I have and both were loose. The machine marks were still on the outside of the 'wheel so it wasn't worn down. I found a place in town that said they could get me a new gear by the afternoon and that one went on tight.

Jake is up and running again and is ready for El Mirage on the 11th of Sept. ;)

[​IMG]

28. I sure would love to make it to El Mirage and see Jake in person.

29. Here's a couple pix that were done by Mike Harrington (Buick59) nice job I think.
    [​IMG]
    Tim McMaster
    [​IMG]
    Tim McMaster

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011