Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 days to hamb. i need help bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod69, Aug 14, 2011.

1. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Maybe it wants the old ones back. That opens up a whole new batch of possibilities.

2. gafridge

gafridge

Did it have an aluminum flywheel before?

3. I ran into a similar problem with a dirt oval trak car, could not get it to "RPM".
    (great song) It turned out that the secondaries were not opening due to a binding link clip. Make sure your throttle will open all the way FROM the gas pedal. 9K, no problem, we ran 8,200 with a 327 on a dirt oval back in 1986 with mismatched parts and unbalanced crank. (rods and pistons were balanced) Powerglide using only first gear. (gear rule)
    Another note: check your fuel line near the bellhousing and trans, you may have flattened it or bent it when changing transmissions.
    2. Is it a race prepped carb with large needle and seats. ?

4. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

stupid question, have you checked voltage supply to the distributor? brothers race car had a problem like that , finally found low voltage . only takes 1/2 ohm resistance in the wire

5. davedriveschevy

davedriveschevy

6. davedriveschevy

davedriveschevy

Ha. 37gmc beat me to it.

7. madmak95

madmak95

Yes at first ..... but then went to a heavy one cause it lost all rpm off the line and bogged hard. Heavy fly wheel help alot. These 301 are all rpm ....little toque... the motor (when running right ) will remind u of a 2stroke. It really start to pull hard around 4500. Like its got a power band. See the problem. When the motor is ready to turn on it hits the wall.

8. madmak95

madmak95

Checked and rewirded this morning. No change.

9. madmak95

madmak95

old car....11.89 @ 118mph ....pulled 3 ft wheels...

[​IMG]

new car......pull the cross ram off and went to one carb....but it still runs the same... may put ram back on.

[​IMG]

10. hotrod69

hotrod69
    from warren tx

latest thinking thanks to u folks is the timing chain an gears, they where changed between cars. i had forgotten about it. so no hamb run for the car this year. always next year. [ teach me to wate till the last min

11. It may sound dumb, but check your throttle linkage. Make sure the carb goes all the way to WOT.

I fought my flathead six on the dyno because of linkage, and didn't figure it out until A YEAR (!!!) later (mostly cuz I didn't run the motor again)

12. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

This is pretty simple and you may have already checked it, but it needs to be mentioned. Unhooked your throttle linkage, have a buddy mash the gas for you, and you open the throttle wide open manually, see it the linkage will hook back up to the carb in that condition, you would be surprised at how many I have found over the yrs. that were not adjusted right to fully open the throttle, or had a piece of floor mat under the pedal.

Edit: posted my answer forgetting I was on the first page, see now it has been mentioned.

13. hotrod69

hotrod69
    from warren tx

thanks to all for your help. hotrod69

14. We pulled a 305 yesturday that would never rev. It had an external balance flexplate attached to it. Amazing the stuff you find.

Anyway removed the balance weight and now it'll spin until it comes apart. My only guess is that the balance weight was setting up a harmonic that was ultimately disturbing the valve train.

Probably not your particular problem but . . .

15. oj

oj

You got plenty of time to do the timing chain! Grab some parts and load your mess up and go to the drags.
    One other thing i saw from your photo, is that fuel tank vented? If a poor vent or plugged vent what you are experiencing is exactly what will happen. It'll pull a vacuum in there and no fuel will come out.

16. hotrod69

hotrod69
    from warren tx

yes it is vented. first thing we looked at. just got in from the shop changing it. still got to put the rad in, reset the valves, an timing. then we will know. had to do it by my self, u know how it is with drivers. u cant get no help. haha

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm rooting for ya...

18. madmak95

madmak95

Piss on u..... driveing don't pay the bills!! :rolleyes:

19. hotrod69

hotrod69
    from warren tx

lol, wondered if u could read

20. I don't, my brother had a destroked 327 (301) that would turn 10,000 rpm with no sweat.

21. hotrod69

hotrod69
    from warren tx

well good or bad this hotrod is going to the hamb. timing chain an gears where the problem. now if we can keep it all togeather! looking forward to seeing every body.

22. andyg

andyg