Register now to get rid of these ads!

who else is in rural america?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tjmercury

tjmercury

The closest "town" to me is 6 miles away and has around 350 people in it, and next closest is 7 miles and has maybe 900-1000. I am 29 and went to school literally in the middle of a pasture. they tried consolidating the three small towns around us by building a centrally located school, with absolutely nothing around it but crabgrass! There are some of HAMBers fairly close though, the Straykats are only 30 min or so away, and definately make you feel welcome when you swing by.

2. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Graham wa. is 10 miles from Puyallup(Good Guys held in puyallup) but we don't have a Tavern, no fast food at all and one grocery store. But, everyone seem to have 2 or 3 horses that never get ridden and just burn hay and s--t.

3. tjmercury

tjmercury

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, there is only one stoplight in our entire county! You know where the cop is.

4. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

I live in the biggest country town in America.............Houston

5. I live 4.5 miles east of Trinidad CO. I have 11.87 acres and my neighbors are a 1/4 mile and one irrigation ditch away. Love the peace and quiet. Trinidad has about 6,000 people and 1,000,000 Cacti.

6. dexleo2

dexleo2

I was born and raised in a small rural town in Nebraska. The pop was around 700. I spent 6 years after highschool in Lincoln Nebraska and could not wait to get back into rural area. Now my wife and I live out on the farm and the nearest town is 14 miles away and has limited stores. 42 miles to the nearest Menards, Walmart, all them major chain stores. I would not trade my location for all the gold in China. Love the peace and quite. It does suck when you need a .40 cent part from town.

7. Kingman , AZ not the end of the earth but you can see it from here.!

8. outlaw256

outlaw256

now thats funny!!!

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im due south of The Highlander, about 10 to 15 miles as the crow flies..a township of a township of a city, used to be way more corn and bean fields until the housing boom..but still very rural

10. lawman

lawman

My town is so small that if someone paints a wall outside we all like to pull up a stump,set down and watch the paint dry as thats the most exciting thing that goes on here.!!!!!!!!!LOL

11. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

BTDT, spent a weekend in Pella <grin>, I'm in "Charlanta", Clinton, SC to be exact but halfway 'tween Atlanta and Charlotte, so be "Charlanta".

12. RichG

RichG

There's about 350 folks in my town, if you count all the outlying farms in the zip code it goes up to about 600 or so. We have a tavern, they'll sell you pop, beer, and they have a little grill and fryer... best damn gizzards and jojos you can get!

13. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I couldn't live in the city anymore for any reason. The worst part about living in a rural area is forgetting to buy something while you made the big saturday shopping trip to the city. Just in time inventory eats into the gas money fund. I often use a motorcycle to run errands to town unless I need to haul something big.

14. I live so far in the sticks, that they have to pump sunlight back here. One town to the north 5 miles Pop. less than 2000, another town to the south, Pop., summer too damn many, winter less than a 1000.

Most people might see a stray dog out there back window, this is what I see.:cool:

Attached Files:

15. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

in 2006 I lived In butte city Ca 20 miles north from chico Ca population 85

16. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I see quite a bit of deer here also. And then there's this feathered little fart that has adopted us, He even eats with the horse. Unfortunately the better half named him so he's off the menu for thanksgiving.:rolleyes:

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

My town has population of 2,266. The racial makeup of the town is 88.35% White, 7.90% African American, 0.84% Native American, 1.46% Asian, 0.44% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.46% of the population. It is the typical small " SOUTHERN TOWN " Here is the chief of the PO-PO :eek:

[​IMG]

It is a small town but we have a FAST Police car ... :D

[​IMG]

Sort of a slow moving kind of town. But HEY ... at least we now have a Burger King. :)

18. rustdodger

rustdodger

my location line says "Everson wa." but you don't want to walk there from my place! attached photo is taken from my back door

Attached Files:

19. markjenks

markjenks

I'm about 5 miles from the nearest town of 3800. 2 cities 20 miles one way, 30 miles the other way have over 100,000. Nearest neighbor is about 400yds, 2nd closest is 1/4 mile away. If you drew a circle 2 miles wide and put my house in the center, you would get about 20 houses.

Big change from growing up in Milwaukee with houses 20ft away from each other.

Attached Files:

20. Hey, 33 ford 3w, we have vacationed in Nisswa Mn (Gull Lake) since the 80s. Absoultely wonderful place. If we could support ourselves we would move there in a minute. Yes, I know it snows Sept to May but we still love it. I envy you.

21. havi

havi

Dad gave me a ride to the nearest bus station and asked me, "How long are ya in the service for again?"

I said, "3 years"

"Hell, I may as well wait here for ya then."

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I live on a 38 acre family owned plot of which 9.5 acres are mine. We are about 1 mile out of the city limits of Berry, AL, pop about 1200. We have a great auto parts/ general hardware store, ran by three brothers who are all hot rodders, three restaurants, three gas/ convience stores, a Dollar General and a Piggly Wiggly grocery store. All are less than two miles away. No red lights, not even a stop sign on the main drag, St Hwy AL 18. I'm surrounded by farmland on three sides, and have about 8 acres open land to store goodies on. Been here 33 years, ain't going nowhere. Was raised in small town with a pop of about 500, so rural life is all I've ever known or wanted. I like to be able to go out in my back yard and pee and not worry about what the neighbors think!

23. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

My town has around 5000 but I movedout to the family farm a few years back.

24. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Yacolt - population < 1500, no stop lights, 1 gas station and 20 minute drive to the nearest drive in. We live on 20 acres in the shadow of Mt St Helens - 23 miles away as the lava flies!

I get tired of answering the question "Where is Yacolt, so I just say I am from Vancouver which is about 35 minutes away"

25. Finally got out of the crime and racial divide of Memphis, and moved to picturesque Rogersville, pop. 7000 or so. The whole county (Hawkins) only has 28,000. Nice friendly folks, laid back, leave you alone, and the largest percentage per capita of car people I've ever seen.

5 miles to town, if you really need to go, and 30 miles to the closest "cities", Kingsport and Morristown. 11 acres of privacy with good neighbors. Low taxes, utilities, and surrounded by beautiful mountains.

What's not to like?:D I will NEVER move back to ANY city.

Attached Files:

26. we have 6,000 or way less in the COUNTY, got 10 miles to get to my shop kinda a laid back place and no one to help out, mostly gotta find out on your own and do your thing in the big world
    sure learned a lot racing and fabricating with no help, made a few mistakes;) but still have not given up:eek:
    kinda nice hanging out on the 320 acre ranch with trees and lots of wild life, the 4 legged kind:)

27. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I live in rural Northwest Tennessee. Around 3000 pop.. Our claim to fame is gravel, sorghrum mollasses and the site of the plane crash that killed Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas and their pilot. Nearest "big" city of around 20,000 is about 20 miles away.

48 Poncho

28. 067chevy

067chevy

I've lived in western and central Nebraska all my life. The good life!!!!!!

29. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I live in a one stoplight town in Iowa. If things get too hectic here I can go to the town I grew up in about ten miles away. Their entire town budget is about $30,000.

30. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i grew near alderson, wv in wolf creek. nearest neighbor was a mile in each direction, nearest mcdonalds was a 45 min drive, a stoplight? ha. you know you live in a real rural area when you cant find your house on google earth cuz they dont get closer than about 5000ft