Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects M/F-ing HOT RODS, '32 3W build for a HAMB member!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Aug 12, 2011.

1. HAHAHA! ELpolacko,didn't we just talk about this at the LARS?
    "why don't you do this...."
    "why don't you use that...."
    Some guys just won't ever get it.....

2. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

I was a bit afraid if the traditional Nazis showing up on this and lo and behold. They brought their sbc hating friends!

3. Hell, let them rant. Not changing our minds.

42% of the video is loaded.

You will laugh, you will cry. Some will say I have a face for radio. In the end, my strengths are in fabrication not videography.

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Carry on.... its all good.

5. MORodder

MORodder

Last time I checked the sbc was introduced in '55 making it traditional in a 50's 60's theme. But the tremec, not so much. Who cares though, drive the shit out of it. Love the car and the craftsmanship going into. Sooo jealous.

6. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Oh I wasn't worried about the rant or the trad police. If this was a community build, we could take up a collection though.

:^|

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  7. 14:25 of frame rail welding and grinding fun!

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

X2 well said zman

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool dude! That was one of the better tutorials I have ever seen on fabbing hot rod parts!!! You DO have a face meant for radio! Seriously though, you just gave away one of your secret weapons as far as how stuff is done.
    Make no mistake, this technique can be used to form ANYTHING chassis wise... If you look on the Gowjobs and Speedster thread, I did a much less detailed write up with pictures for building a smooth frame kick up last year. It's just how all this stuff goes together. 'Course, the first thirty five times YOU or I do this deal it won't go NEARLY as fast, and we will screw it up at least once, but it does work!

As always man, thanks!!!

10. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man when you think you have seen it all !! some one raises the bar one more notch and you have done it. Dont pay much attention to the traditional police . I had much rather have a strong chassis !!looks great keep up the good work .

11. Clark

Clark

ElP ...I thought you were above starting drama and the drama queens. This thread deserves every bit of sbc bashing. Nothing wrong with Chevies in my eye's but when you start throwing stones it's only fair when they are thrown back.

It's another great build, just a shame to screw it up with the drama.
    Clark

12. badshifter

badshifter

FINALLY! A real hot rod is being built by guys we can all learn something from!
    Good on all involved. Neat when effort/skill/vision/talent/money etc. all come together.
    Put the HAMB back on track.

13. Channeling my inner Jamie Hyneman, gawd I need a haircut.

Hey i think they took too much off the top !

14. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hi El Polacko great vid !! just curious whether your weld pulled as it cooled? and if so...which direction? Paul

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude! We haven't met yet, but we will run into each other at Steve's at some point... We're gonna get along great!!!

16. I'm fine with what has transpired here. Just more clash of opinions than real drama. No one got called names, at least not any that got posted :D

Full frontal Lobe-Dome!

That part didn't curl up too much. If anything gets too out of shape I throw it in the press and flatten it out.

17. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i dont have any petty drama or bitching to add so lets try a question- do you have a guideline for how big to go on the holes you cut out on the legs that run to the frame before you weaken the part? they look great and really add to the finished peice but i'm always scared i'm gonna take too much strength out by cutting them too big when i make crossmembers and brackets. also how much more prone is it to warping from welding heat with the holes?

18. I really don't have a rule for the hole size. I usually make them close to 60% the height of the rail. As far as warping, I really don't have much of a problem. I use 10 gauge cold rolled which is pretty stable stuff. I get more movement out of A-36.

19. Excellent skills! Excellent tutorial. Thanks for producing that video.

20. haha, the perfect response to some of the comments made on here!

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

some beautiful work on the car , shweet

22. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

Thanks a million for the welding/grinding video. That kind of stuff helps out the newbs like me a lot.

23. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

24. Turbos10

Turbos10
    from Texas

Brand new here, but was thinking the same thing when I saw the TKO and SBC. In my mind hotrodding is doing with the project what you like even if it is different from the main stream group does.

Cool build, and will definately be fun to drive.

25. Mean Green

Mean Green

Didn't intend to insult...guess I was thinking outloud / keyboard sound. (joke)
    Looking at learning more about this aspect of car crafting.
    I'll read more type less....nothing but the best of wishes for success on your build.

Thanks for the input.

26. 117harv

117harv

Kill all drama threads to make room for REAL hot rod threads. This is how it should be done, well thought out with Quality work all around, thanks for sharing! This is what the HAMB is all about:)

By Elpolacko..."poverty is no excuse for lack of ambition"...there is a HAMB signature:)

27. beauishere

beauishere

Thanks for this thread. The video is terrific. Look forward to more. Aloha

28. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

X2...Awsome work El-P... Fun vid, and the car is awsome. Keep up the good work. I'm sure that beard has been on fire a couple times...mine has.

29. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Great build,very clean work.
    Just when i thought vans were poping up on here a little to much,thank god some others one here think this is a hot rod site too...

30. johnod

johnod

Could be worse , you might have insulted someones studebaker hood install, then you'd be in the shit.:eek: