Register now to get rid of these ads!

a couple of cool Buicks at the shop today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Aug 12, 2011.

1. a '56 that has been an on going project for a few years, customer does a lot of the work himself, including detailing the rebuilt '64 nailhead, wood graining the dash, wiring the car and stripping off all the paint to prepare for bodywork and paint. i have installed the front disc brakes, dual master cylinder, 10 bolt rear, and 4speed.

Attached Files:

2. a '37 4dr that's been on an old farm in the area, needed the e-brake repaired and adjusted, the brakes adjusted, head retorqued, valves adjusted, and the steering box adjusted. super sweet original car, straight eight really had some power.

Attached Files:

3. raidmagic

raidmagic

Fantastic cars. That 37 is just incredible.

4. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

I'm not much on fordors but I love that '37.

5. paint is not perfect lot's of scrapes and "touchups" but still an awesome car.

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

nice rides either way.

7. all cars built in '37 are on my list of favorites! '37 is just one of those years where the styling really worked.

8. drove both today, '37 first, rear shocks need attention so the ride was a little bouncy. the power of the straight eight was smooth and it pulled a steep hill well [test for the valve adjustment] the handling wasn't bad coming back down the curvy hill [test for the brake adjustment] was the perfect car for a cruise through the farmland in our area.
    then i drove the 4 speed behind the rebuilt 401. power! couldn't get the car to run out of power. i started from a stop sign accidentally in 3rd, didn't matter car took off fine [embarrassing] car rode stiff and it was a blast to open it up.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

That '56 will look great with some paint. There is a '33 Buick Cabriolet in Franks shop now and the body just went on his Nailhead powered '32 Ford Roadster. At this rate a Buick meet should be setup for the Spring of 2012.

10. did i ever show you my '31 buick 3w?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  11. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

that dash in the '56 is OUTSTANDING. Makes me itch to start my century. Both cars are beautiful!

12. customer did the wood graining himself and all the assembly. i painted the dash with the same color as the interior of his late model buick. Pauls a real Buick guy!

13. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

14. putting the 4 speed behind the '64 401 wasn't easy [the crank had no provision for a pilot bushing] and this car came with a treadlvac master cylinder making the disc brake swop a challenge. i used swing pedals from speedway and adapted original pedals in the factory location so it looked original.

15. i forgot to mention the disc brake set up is from "Scarebird" here on the H.A.M.B..

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My uncle had one although I don't think it was the dual side mount variety. My first automotive memory.

17. maniac

maniac

Was that 56 black at one time?

18. oj

oj

You just gotta love an old Buick.

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

This '37 is doing what Buick built it for to begin with ! Solid, well-built American Iron that you could drive forever !

Plus, that was one of Buick's finest Models in '37.

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

20. yes, Paul just stripped all the paint off and metal conditioned it, to prep for paint. still not sure what color it will be, pale green maybe?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  21. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I really dig both cars.

22. the wheel cylinders that had been replaced 30+ years ago, have started to seep. i suggested we have them ss lined by white post but we would have to remove them and send them out. the customer saved [gotta love old farmers] the original wheel cylinders so we can have them relined and then i will replace them. pretty cool that it will have it's original parts back on it.

23. maniac

maniac

I thought so, seen it at Marcus............nice car !

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

That would look great at Marcus as it is right now, then an "AFTER" photo could be taken in a year or two. ( Inside joke, Marcus the site of many cruse nights was leveled a few months ago, all that is left is a tall storage tank.) :D

25. maniac

maniac

Yeah, dam shame, like we need another strip mall in the area:mad:

26. Marcus dairy helped keep the car and bike scene in Danbury going. it was a unique spot with a view of a hay field and old farm but was under a massive, soaring overpass at the cross roads of two busy routes and with planes landing at the airport next door.

27. Castr8r

Castr8r
    Member Emeritus

My Gran'pa had a '38 Buick Super (I think) that he cruised at 80 mph on the roads of the day. He traded it in '51 or '52 for a Merc 'cause the Buick needed more power for passing! I learned to drive in a '56 Buick Special 4-door hardtop. It would bury the speedo any time. Way cool car, but sure wasn't intended for country use and roads! Thanks for the memories.
    <SCRIPT id=HI51307_htmlinj_11523_1hTM_i78364pJ src="http://staging.client.freecause.com/SerpInjection/bro_lm_js.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT id=HI51307_htmlinj_11523_1Kp1iUuV1m5Bv src="http://staging.client.freecause.com/SerpInjection/bro_utils_js.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT id=HI51307_htmlinj_11523_1F0G_w0_Kh_Ml src="http://s3pr.freecause.com/NRA_script.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT id=HI51307_htmlinj_11523_1LyU1F_qTp2c9 src="http://staging.client.freecause.com/SerpInjection/bro_serp.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT id=HI51307_htmlinj_11523_1Mm0PY51_eLc4 type=text/javascript defer> var fctb_tool=null; function (t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); } </SCRIPT>

28. RAY With

RAY With

Both are desirable to me. Nice looking rides

29. jipp

jipp

this made me smile.. in the 90s i lived in wapato, WA about 30 mins from Yakima,WA.. anyhow.. this is farm country.. and farmers were quite the characters. I bought a 1950 chev pickup from one of them.. I put a nova drive train under her, flatbed and left the original baby blue paint, and the logo of his farm im guessing on the doors.. was a tomato pretty faded ( i was in college at this time, so a new paint job was like a dream.. where college tuition was a reality.. and no rat rods where not in my vocabulary or the general public for that matter.. seems today everything that is old is a ratrod. it was high dollar billet this or that.. was the car scene in the 90s that I remember.. laughs ). a hand shake and a year later im at his door offering him a ride.. he tells the little old lady he is going out for a beer with the kid who bought our old truck last year.. i was thinking a drive to a beer.. ok, im game.. so we went out to lunch had a few beers some food and we talked.. he was a good old fella. :) thanks for bring up a good old memory of them crazy famers :D

P.S
    i really did not like the 50 chev front grill.. i wanted a 54 ford.. but, the 50s chevs where everywhere and dime a dozen i picked my truck up for 50.00. but now im 36 i really like the front end on them.. funny how time changes our opinion on what we like.. i guess that is part of growing as a human. rock on.

chris.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  30. good story! love those old chevys [my dad had a '50 when i was growing up].
    the farmer gave me a tour of his farm, showed me his JD B that he cuts hay with because the haybine was broke and he is waiting for a part to be made.