Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Dennis I think your car is great. Thanks for the info but I am in the UK so it is a case of doing everything myself. I will be using an 'A' front axle and I will drop it myself. ( I did this for the first time twenty odd years ago and swore I would never do it again.)

David

2. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Found a photo of the axle I dropped twenty five or more years ago. I did it the hard way with a sledge hammer and heat. Its been under this little pop (Anglia) Coupe that I built way back then. The axle is a Ford Pilot axle (more or less the same as a 32 heavy) The little Pop coupe is now in Australia and is being re-built by my good friend Bob.

[​IMG]

David

Here is a link to the thread on the Pop (Anglia) Coupe http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364638&page=2

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  3. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

I was lookin at model A's till I sat in one and found out quick that wasn't gonna work...

4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Cut the box section out for the chassis jig this morning but had several interuptions from customers, had to weld up something for a customer who popped in so did not manage to get tha jig welded together. I only had a few hours.

I am still trying to decide what rad shell to use or if I should build a track nose. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

David

5. Went to http://www.picnik.com and adjusted the contrast a bit. Axle looks mighty fine. I have a lot of respect for self reliant hot rodders.

Attached Files:

6. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for sorting the photo and thanks for the complement on the axle. Back then here in the UK there was no choice but to do stuff yourself. We have plenty of stuff coming in from the USA these days but back then stuff was thin on the ground.

David

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Jet96 and 29EHV8 like this.
  8. I don't know how the hell I missed this one - keep up the good work Dave.
    I'm looking forward to the seeing the progress of it all.

"I started this car twenty years ago but ended up selling all the parts I had collected because I could not see me ever having the time and money to finish it" - I've still got 99% of the parts I bought off you. They're still waiting to be used once the Pop is done.

cheers

Bob

9. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

is only one side of the axle dropped in this picture? hahaha, awesome!

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I was on vacation with my wife and daughters for two weeks so no progress for a while...

But today I put together the chassis table. I use 4"X2" tube for this 1/4 Wall. I cut most of the parts on my little cut off saw before I went away so today I was ready to weld the whole thing together...

[​IMG]

I bought this little Bosch saw a few years ago and wish I had done so long before. I would not be without it now.

[​IMG]

The jig is being built on my8'x4' bench. I have very limited space so I am making it so that it will sit on the bench while in use. (The bench itself is too small to act as a jig in itself) I laid out the tubing so that it was square and checked it by cross measuring. Once everything was tacked I checked it all again before welding it.

David

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

12. Going to be solid. Can you hoist it up to the rafters when you are done? That would be a good way to keep it ready for the next time you need it.

13. Heres a couple of pics of the dropped axle - taken yesterday

Attached Files:

14. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yea, then you soded off to Aus with them!. ha.

David

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I plan on hoisting it up while I am working on customers cars.

David

16. Yea, then you soded off to Aus with them!. - Yup, certainly did.....

Nice chassis jig by the way, have you started work on the body yet???

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  17. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Bob, I am going to get the chassis together before I start on the body. I hope to get the chassis done in a few weeks.

I left my old chassis table at the workshop in Walton 'coz I just did not have the room here and I had not used it in a while. I have a few chassis jobs in the pipeline so this will get used again.

David

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I finished the jig last weekend and managed to get a couple of hours in on the chassis. this is the chassis rails bent to match the 27 body and fitted in the jig ready for the next stage - making the '34 style crossmember and the boxing plates for the partial boxing of the chassis.

[​IMG]

The jigging points on the chassis table are all the known points such as the position and width of the bulkhead, the width and position of the front of the turtle deck and the width and position of the front X member, everything else should follow the original chassis lines between these points.

David

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is another view of the rails in the Jig its clear in this photo where I 'pinched' the frame but actually the whole frame is narrower and tapered then the front is brought back out from where the bulkhead (firewall) will be.

[​IMG]

David

20. flatheadal

flatheadal
    from P'boro, uk

Hey Dave, Just tripped across this thread. I've heard a lot about this from the rest of the guys but the pictures are better proof that it'll be done soon. I'll have to pop round some time soon to say hi and see for myself. Al

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

You are welcome any time Al. I may have to do a thread on the work I did on yout 'T' and your 'A'...

David

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I got some time on the chassis , I began to make my center crossmember. I had some 1/8 plate folded into Chanel section. After working out where I would put the holes I used my plasma cutter and circle attachment to cut them.

[​IMG]

I dont have a '34 chassis to copy so I am just working to photos and drawings. It does not matter if they are exact, they just need to look right.

David

23. Johnny Speedster

Johnny Speedster
    from Atlanta

[​IMG]This is going to be great. Like T on 32 rails also.

Any pix of the two chassis at the top of this pic
    Thanks

24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

26. Looks great David! Will you be attending Goodwood? We are in London and plan to attend Friday and Saturday.

Mike

27. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I blew up some chassis drawings to full size (or at least the area of the curve in the cross members). I used this to make a template to show me the curve in the cross-member sections. Here are the finished items ready to fit to the chassis rails...

[​IMG]

With luck I will get this chassis in one piece in the next week or so.

David

28. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

No sorry Mike I have too much work on and I need to get on with this car... after all its been thirty years in the planning.

David

29. Following your build, as I have the makings for the same car waiting in the wings.

Here are some pics I've gathered, for inspiration:

Attached Files:

30. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! You may want to look at the Model "T" built by Tony Thacker in the Feb 2004 issue of Rodder's Digest, he replaced the normally flat floorboards with recessed "pans" so the occupants sit lower in the car, it isn't "traditional" but a great solution to the problem of looking like you're sitting "on" instead of "in" the car, Good Luck with your build, Mike.

A Boner and 29EHV8 like this.