Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Block powered Model A pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deek, Aug 7, 2011.

1. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Heres a fun little project we started mid January. Powered by a 292 Y-block with a early 3-speed adapted to it. Also running a banjo rear end with the closed driveline. Cab is chopped 4" and running it highboy. Here it is after we finished the chassis and set the cab and bed on. Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Deek

Attached Files:

2. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Here are a few pics of the chassis

Attached Files:

3. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Chopped and with the wide 5 wheels.

Attached Files:

4. koth

koth

Looks like it will be a fun ride!

5. Fun....Y-Blocks sure look and sound right.

6. RAY With

RAY With

What transmission and bell housing you use?

7. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

It's a 39 Ford trans with an adaptor. The pickup is already finished, but more pics to come.

Deek

8. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

That is a cool little truck! Can't beat the Y-block with headers sound.

9. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

11. Nice! You're right next door, I'd like to come see it. Let me know if you need any Y help.

12. boones27t

boones27t
    from redding ca

just wait tell you guys see the finished product.... Its bad a$$!

13. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

Thanks guys!

mctim64- come on by anytime! I'll deffinatly be getting a hold of you for y-block help

Here are a few pics of the chassis after paint.

Deek

Attached Files:

14. Did you fab the motor mounts? How close is the crank pulley to the front x-member? Got any close up pics of that and or the mounts?
    Thanks,
    Richard

15. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

16. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

I have an old FE Big block in mine which I think sounds awesome but i love the way Y blocks sound. They just have a such a nice old hot rod sound to them. Just good thing you didnt put a chevy engine in it....not that there is anything wrong with chevy...just saying. haha

17. deek

deek
    from Tulare,CA

RB35- yes I fabricated the engine mounts. I'll attach a pic. The crank is about 3" back from the crossmember. Hope this helps!

A heres a pic of the cab after paint. It looks greener in pictures, but it's supposed to be dawn grey.

Attached Files:

18. jipp

jipp

what a cool project. i dig it, and im really feeling the Y-block.. did some reading up on the engine the other night.. they sound so cool. :) ford made enough of them.. thankfully so there is plenty out there for hotrod projects.. i still do not really understand the oil problem and the fix by a copper tube to the rocker? but whatever, if and when i ever get a Y block to play with ill figure it out i guess.
    chris.

19. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool project.. I like your frame.....

20. Deek,
    Thanks for the pics! Big help!!
    Jipp-Between the block and the heads, the oil passage to the rocker shaft makes two 90* bends and restricted the flow. With old non-detergent oils, crud would build up and block it-not a problem with new oils and a rebuild/clean out. The top oiler was a lame method to provide drip irrigation to the rocker shafts, not very effective.
    Second problem was the oil comes up through the cam bearing, then to the heads. The groove in the inner side of the bearing let oil pass the cam journal until the journal put enough miles on the bearing, wearing down the groove. Builders now put a slight groove on the outside of the bearing shell in addition to the inside groove to eliminate that issue.
    RB

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  21. k-member

k-member

Very handsome hot-rod pickup, like the color on that motor and chassis.

22. Deek, do you have a pic showing where the front pulley/harmonic balancer sits in relation to the front x-member?
    Thanks,
    RB

23. And let me add-Nice Project!! Sorry, got so caught up in chasing mounts....
    RB

24. jipp

jipp

thank you.. maybe you could add that bit info to the wiki page on the engine.. it showed the picture of the copper tube running to the rocker and did not mention new oils or the fixes you mention.. i thought was kind of odd hack having copper tube bent over the top of the rocker.. but what the hell do i know was what i was thinking.. and figured its a old engine. maybe thats just the way it is.. im glad i was wrong.. so it seems even if you get a running Y block probably should have it rebuilt anyhow.

chris.

25. johnie22

johnie22
    from so-cal

y-block has a nice sound to it, not to loud with open pipes. what are you going to run.

26. Mine is a 292, .030 over, about a 230* cam from John Mummert, all built by Bill Coleman. It's going in a '29 Coupester with a t-5, 8"" rear, small Z and 4" drop up front. I think it will scoot a bit quicker than the '35 w/flattie.
    Rebuilding an engine on a ground up car is my preference and I've worked long enough that I can now afford it. I'm just leery about putting in a motor that "ran when it was parked".
    I'm at the age that I want to drive it, not be repairing it.
    RB

27. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Beautiful, I love it too. I have a friend with a Model A pickup in pieces and I'm going crazy trying to decide if I want to tackle another major project. He doesn't have a title however I have a coupe title that I'd like to pass off on it in order to get it "legal". Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but this question is on my mind constantly. What do ya think, will it work? If so, I'm right behind you my friend.

28. How about a finished picture. I thought it looked pretty good in person.

29. Deek,
    Thanks for the pic, the mounts look good! Did you use 1/8" or 3/16" for the mounts?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  30. Taking Respect

Taking Respect
    from New Jersey

The y looks right at home