Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aug 2011 Banger Meet. Better late then never

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Did anyone see that there's T sprinter that Tom Butterworth built on ebay right now?

It's a single seater and is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! JUST the thing to drop your banger project into!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

Great looking projects Jake. Please provide more detail on what you've done to each one. Where do you get you're inspiration?

3. jakeknapp29

jakeknapp29

Thanks for the compliments! Actually my grandpa got me into Model A's and he and I restored my coupe together. It is completly restored back to original condition. My speedster is a boattail that I fabricated myself. The engine has a counterbalanced crank and lightned flywheel, high compression head and stromberg 97 carb. I also fabricated the body on my T speedster. I made a 5 inch dropped axle from two T axles and Z'ed the frame in the rear. The engine is mostly stock except for a 6:1 head and exhaust headers. I try to do all the work myself! This past year I have learned to pour and line bore babbitt and put engines together. I have a few Model B engines I am going to build after I get my Model T done.

4. T__N__A

T__N__A

Hey Crazydaddyo,

Any more information on the car this is going in?

When is the Route 66 hillclimb?

5. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Can any one tell me if it is possible to fit rear A cast iron drums to rear AR hubs and backing plates?
    Thanks
    Brendan

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The car is the black car with the two guys behind it.
    the hill climb is Sept. 18.

[​IMG]

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I went on a drive today, and found my self in the low rent district.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Crazzzz

I bet yours is one of few fully paid for :D

9. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Looking for some guidance on a distributor for our A engine ,we got a good used engine it started and ran nice ,not driven though, our original motor has a nissan electronic adapted ,i am getting the feeling that the nissan dissy is not giving its all now that we have started the better engine ,i dont have the lever setup for manual advance and retard ,i can get a ford 10 type which has a bit of mechanical advance or is there an aftermarket unit anyone could recommend ,,thanks from Rod,,

10. RussTee

RussTee

nissan dizzy should go well they can be adjusted best on a rolling road. However I would be looking at your leads are they new I have had more trouble with the wrong leads than anything else I find wire leads best dont use modern carbon or silicon leads Bubba just had a very interesting thread on the main board in the last few days

11. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Great Stuff , 20 and you are into it !
    ;)

12. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Thanks Russ,i am going to get dissy checked on machine ,i had it checked by our local "expert"but have a feeling he wasnt real interested and said would be fine as is with no vac advance ,I have just found out about Bubba and will check for that thread ,my son has a hot 10 HP Anglia [Pop] i believe those dissys go in ,he has a spare i will try ,looks like it needs 30 degrees @2500 rpm,we feel the stock dissy ran better but cant run it with no lever setup ,F100 box and column ,,,

13. You could use an old choke cable for mechanical advance . It might not look good but it could get you running. You would have to build some brackets.

14. borntobewild

borntobewild

my new 4 banger project :)

[​IMG]

15. RussTee

RussTee

Roddy I dont recomend the ford ten dissy it Nissan dissy on a modified B4 really check those leads

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I am proud to say I will be working with Matt @ Gear Drive. http://lakeheaders.com Making some banger intakes to go with his very nice lake headers. We have been talking for some time now and this is the 1st of hopefully many intakes.
    This one will bolt to his header he made for a guy that now wants to add a intake to his header. Most will have the intake and lake header all on one flange.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  17. DurerHaus

DurerHaus

Hey fellas, I have a question reguarding flywheels. Are there any negitives to running an aluminum or very light (25 lbs) flywheel for daily street use. The wheel is going onto a rebuilt B with a C crank 5.5 head and B profile stipe cam and single 97. I am also running a 39 trans. Thanks guys.

18. RussTee

RussTee

for a street car to light a flywheel can be a disadvantage no torque not much good on hills

19. You didn't say what body style. I think it would be okay in a roadster but iffy in a 4 door. You might have to slip the clutch a bit more in a heavier car. I ran an 11.5 Al wheel in a 1500 lb. car usually with 4.11's but I think it would be alright with 3.78's. You don't gain horsepower but it should accelerate and decelerate quicker making faster shifts possible. You could run further into the turns and come out faster if on a track. I think it would pull the hills but would take a little more effort to start on a hill. This is if you stay at 25 or heavier. With the exception of the starter drive conversion a flathead V8 wheel would work well IMO. I have a 30 Lb flathead wheel in my 29 RPU with a 10" clutch.

20. Awesome. Let's see some pics when the whole thing comes together! :)

21. my welding suppler caught me as i was going to lunch today and offereds to buy if i gave him a ride in my phaeton. I said sure..but he was going to buy me lunch anyway lol. we get to the main road which is a 45 mph speed limit. pull out step on it and in a flash we are up to speed and passing traffic...he looks at me and say" i thought model a's were slow" lol
    that made my day
    tk
    29 phaeton, c balanced b ,stipe cam ,snyders head ,lightened flywheel ,stock everything else.

22. DurerHaus

DurerHaus

Bill the car is half of a 26 touring body on an A frame. I believe the rear axle ratio is 3.54. I think the car should not weigh more than 1600 when its done. What do you think would be a resonable flywheel weight should be?

23. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

I noticed that Scat cranks is making a steel, balanced, forged, and counter wieghted crank. Has anybody had chance to used one yet? I like the sound of a new crank..

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the ex-Bothwell car?

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Yes, "The Black Widow".

26. I would say you are right on the edge, I don't think I would go under 25Lb. with those gears even as light as it is. I don't drive my car on the street as a rule. With the 3.78's it will break loose off the line. When I was younger and drove on the street my flywheels were chopped stockers and were about 35 Lb's but I never went higher (Yeah, I know lower) than 3.78's. My RPU daily driver had 4.11's and I did a lot of second gear starts. Tire size should also be included in the calculations. I had 600 16 's on the RPU. There is a handy tool available called a speed power calculator or something like that. I just replaced the one I have from Morosco, bought it from Jegs. Really helps with the tire size, ring and pinion questions, also compression ratio, cubic inch displacement. A good tool to use while you are sitting there in the evening dreaming and planning your future, possible when you get the bucks, build.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

is it yours now??

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

My Uncle bought it @ 25 years ago.

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

somewhere i have pics of it being raced at "re-enactment" of the Santa Monica road races. That is a real haul ass machine. any more shots of it today?

30. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm putting one in a T now. And will be building a B with one soon. Very well built. Good quality.