Register now to get rid of these ads!

$1M offered for James Dean death car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Ray, Aug 31, 2005.

1. AntiBling

AntiBling

So since someone brought this up anyways, anyone remember a movie, I don't remember too much about it, it was one of those late night movies on showtime or hbo or something, I'm pretty sure I was drunk when I watched it. It was about a mechanic that went working for a guy doing high dollar restorations, like mopar muscle cars. Then they set out to find James Dean's death car, they find it on some old farm, their plan to get it is to buy the land and make it a salvage yard to get the title for the car. In the end it turns out the guy he's working for is the devil.

The one other thing I remember is the mechanic points out that a number on the frame doesn't match and the boss has him use thermite to melt the old number and they stamp new numbers.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

Have you ever heard Garrison Keillor tell the story about getting up the morning of the crash, skipping school and driving to the site?

Sort of explains the desire pretty well.

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

I found a wheat penny today.

4. T.KITCHEN

T.KITCHEN

The last "show" the remains of the car was in Miami and disappeared on its way to another show. A few years ago I wrote of where it very possibly was/is in St. Petersburg, Fl. but was impolitely told and pulled (by HAMB)told that the owner should not be bothered if he wanted to keep it quiet as he may have obtained it under suspicious circumstances from the hauler that just happened to drive through Tampa/St. Pete. Owner of the building has not let anyone in on the 2nd floor since 1978 and has many old cars sitting out rusting away like a 1954 Buick Skylark.

5. RichG

RichG

Did it taste good?

6. chip chipman

chip chipman

Found this picture kind of strange. Kind of fortold the future!

Attached Files:

7. I sure enjoy off topic comments such as these. I cried myself to death!

8. jcur

jcur
    from Arkansas

A little OT, but I did see the Kennedy car. It's in the Henry Ford museum at Greenfield Village. ( Of course it was cleaned and no magic bullet.) Actually Nixon used the same car, after it was fitted with the protective top. Seeing it was eerie. But more eerie still, in the same museum, I saw the chair that Lincoln was sitting in when he was shot and it didn't look cleaned, several "liquid" stains. Freaked me out royally.

9. If the Museum is paying the owner then why should i give a shit about the car, i dont stand to make a dime let them get out and dont the leg, Rich lazy history freaks

10. TFF

TFF
    from Memphis,TN

The story I know is the car after the wreck ended back at Ernie McAfee's dealership on Sunset Blvd. from where it was bought. It was the foreign car dealership selling Ferraris, Maseratis, everything. The place Steve McQueen bought his first sports car; Ernie McAfee was killed racing a Ferrari at Pebble Beach which is what stopped the racing there. The story is it was broken up because and only the good stuff was kept because the teeny boppers had learned it was there and it was becoming a problem for souvenieer hunters. Tim Considine wrote an article about it; he was an original MMClub, oldest son on My Three Sons, and the guy getting slapped in Patton. He got to hang around the shop and saw the car brought in. Barris has a fiberglass clone in his museum right now; it would be interesting to know if he had the thing how much he started with? One tube? From the Considine article it was cut up and put in #10 wash tubs to be thrown away. The guy offering a million for it is cheap, a regular 550 is going for a million now.

11. What does this say???? :confused:

12. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

not sayin' it's in 'bama but i'd put money on that.

13. RichG

RichG

Weellll, the story I know is the car after the wreck ended up on the back of Bert and Ernie at Hollywood and Vine, where they were shooting an adult movie. It was about a foreign car dealership selling Fiats, Volgas, and Steve McQueen buys his first sports car from the Cookie Monster with a bag full of broken master links off his Husky dirtbike. The story is it was broken up and only the good stuff was kept because the Two Live Crew had learned it was there and it was becoming a problem for Steven Hawking. Tim Conway wrote an article about it; he was an original Broke Back Mountain boy, one of the bad guys in The Apple Dumpling Gang, and the guy getting knocked in the face with a balony in "Bustin' 2: Electric Boogaloo" . He got to hang around the shop and saw a giant popcorn maker brought in. Beavis has a fiberglass clone of his dong in the museum right now; it would be interesting to know if he had the thing how much he started with? The skin? The nosecone? From the Conway article it was cut up (...:eek:) and put in 100 bottles of mouthwash to be thrown off the roof of the Empire State building on New Years Eve, 1982 . The guy offering a million for it is cheap, a regular Tim Conway codpiece is going for several dollars now.

14. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Mcqueen was just the employer of the guy who got a picture of the highway marker where the acident happened...I believe that was Oscar the Grouch. The car and the title are in Baghdad Iraq. Buried in a vault with Joe Bailon's miss Elegance, the northrop flying wing, the Roswell UFO and Ben Affleck's talent. The guy who owns them will never show them to the public because he's belongs to the Modo family (Quasi's Great Grandson) and is waiting for Nicolas Cage to come and get them in the name of the fremasons and paramount pictures.

15. jipp

jipp

from what little i know of dean.. he sure knew he was living in the fast lane.. makes you wonder if he figure the little bastard would get him one day be on the road or the track.

chris.

16. Wow.Do some research people.Knowledge is power.Barris only owned the body of the car as there was nothing to salvage there.The motor,transmission,wheels and tires and anything else that could be used got sold off to other racers.The car then was bought by george as he is always one to find a way to make a buck off anything.The car was stolen while on a public safety tour and never resurfaced.There has been a 1 million dollar reward for the return of the car for many years now.Now all that being said I'm sure that many of you don't know this as nobody seems to be very educated in this area but Dean was hit and killed be Donald Turnupseed in a kustom shoebox.Evidence has shown that Dean was only running about 55 when he was hit by Turnupseed trying to make a turn onto another road at a high rate of speed.Also another interesting note is James Dean took his car to the Barris shop for the iconic 130 and little bastard paint job that was done by Dean Jefferies who was working for Barris at the time.Lots of neat stories behind the"cursed" spyder and the havoc that it and the parts sold off of it caused afterDean lost his life in the car.So The claims that people know where the car is step up cause I don't think they are true and if they are I want to see the car.

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have learned more on this revived thread in the last few days about James Dean's death and what happened to the Porsche than in the 55 years since. I was not a HAMBER in 2005. Thanks for the information. For me, I consider his death one of America's greatest losses and he has always been (and will be) an icon to those of us who came of age in the '50s.

19. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

It's here . I changed things abit so no one would know. Where do I collect?

Attached Files:

20. AntiBling

AntiBling

I still want someone to tell me what the name of that damn movie was, dammit.

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I get to drive through Fairmont about once a month. It's still kind of a erie feeling buzzing around there. Kind of feels like sacred ground.

22. studematt

studematt

When you find out let me know. Sounds like one I would like to see.

23. Champion spark plugs made a poster with dean and the car with a box of plugs mid 80's i have few some where

recently valued they are worth pretty much...

Attached Files:

• jd1.jpg
      jd1.jpg
      File size:
      23.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  24. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

That same offer has been around and around - That carp about being on tour -
    Someone step up that saw it - *Part of the car* is still around.

25. TFF

TFF
    from Memphis,TN

With a script like that, no wonder the Muppets had to make their shows in England and Tim Conway's carrier tanked. Good thing good thing you got work doing Canadian TV DIY shows after you lost your job watching the test pattern.
    The article I am referring to was called "Ernie's Place" in Sports Car International in the 90's.
    A couple of pictures of the dealership.
    http://nitrogeezers.smugmug.com/Pho...47572_Dbvd4/5/248598718_wsUkB#248598718_wsUkB

26. andrewt2

andrewt2
    from Topeka, KS

Does anyone know what happened to Turnipseed's shoebox? I tried to google it but didnt find anything. I would think there'd still be interest in that car too.

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Whattya mean airbags arent traditional?..

28. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

I remember this movie, from when i was like ten. not clearly, but remember the vin re stamping part. i have searched for 2 hours on imdb, google, and imcdb, and believe i have found it!:D

i believe the movie is called "The Darkling"
    the timeline when it aired makes sense (2000. i would actually been 12)

here is some pics from the movie:
    http://www.imcdb.org/movie_255914-The-Darkling.html

and a shot of the "porsche" actually a replica based off a VW pan:
    http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_21919-Volkswagen-Karmann-Ghia-Convertible-Typ-14.html

and the plot line and basic info:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255914/

29. RichG

RichG

The USS Tim Conway tanked??? Dayyum, I had not heard that, it must have been when Harvey Korman was at the helm.

...and I'll have you know I am a world class test pattern analyst.

30. AntiBling

AntiBling

That was it! Whew, at least something productive has come from this thread.