Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Sinn Of Sorts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. squirrel

squirrel

I think most of what you're after is found in old aircraft instruments. They are not quite right for cars, but an enterprising company could make them be.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Nope. That becomes a "theme" gauge and I'm sure someone makes fake aircraft instruments into automotive gauges.

This idea goes deeper than that.

5. Never2low

Never2low

You never cease to amaze me in the quirky odds and ends you find, and shed light on. Nothing I stumble across is ever note worthy, or in the slim chance it is, turns out everyone has known about it for ages and I seem even more out of touch for not having heard of it sooner. That's why I like it here...new things everyday.

And yes, they is strong visual resemblance to WWII aircraft instruments.

And the glimpse of a 300SL gull wing is a good tangent for sales. Supremacy among competitors, kind of thing.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I wasn't suggesting "fake", I was suggesting real aircraft instruments designed and built for automotive applications.

It would cost way too much to ever happen, of course. I think you figured that out already.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I've always had this image in my mind of a dash with nothing but a clock in it.

8. I have a small stash of square "tank" wind up wristwatches. I started scrounging them after I found one of my grandads in a junk drawer.

Each on unique, each one made/tuned by a craftsman, the sad part is like a great many of our craftsman/machinists, watchmakers are a dying breed.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

A few thoughts: Make a speedo that reads 360 degrees around. 120 at the top, 30 60 90 around the face. Same with oil and temp gauges.

These Sinn watches work (for me at least) because they have the right balance between increments and background. In other words, not too cluttered and not too uncluttered. Easy to read at speed, yet stylish.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

LOL, "quirky odds and ends" LOL:D Everyone knows all you need in a car is a oil pressure guage and a temp guage. And if it's in a dragster, just an oil guage. I love the look of those clocks. Lippy

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As much as I do love the design of the SINN examples, it is a bit busy for my tastes but that could be because of the function of them. I could see a modern built gauge built in the same vein with skinnier strokes on the marks and a bit more subdued numbers (maybe just smaller size) in a purpose built hot rod. It would take a company that's willing to let the engineers take the lead and the designers assist them for a true functionally built gauge that would look good in a traditional built hot rod. I feel like all the gauges built now are just a few notches off the mark ya know?

Good read Ryan, put some pressure on these son of a bitches to make some nice new products for those that appreciate quality and have good taste. And while you're at it, have someone make nice looking old timey fuel pressure regulators.

12. squirrel

squirrel

You don't even need an oil gage, if you happen to see it and it's not reading right, it's too late anyways.

13. I like the idea of rotating bezels with a center mark and a few hash marks to either side that match the scale on the gauge. Roll the mark around to the shift point or redline on the tach, the sweet spot on the oil pressure range, the running temp range, charging etc... that way theoretically a quick scan of the marks would let you know something is amiss.

14. n847

n847

I love it...I'm a watch fannatic, unfortunatly (or fortunatly) I can't afford to dive into the watch world. I think there is something so cool about a mechanical watch. Any one who has ever seen the pieces that come out of one of these watches can't help but be amazed. You should take a peak at the stuff coming out from Carl F Bucher! Form can follow function! These would make a great gage design, and I would be in line so spend my hard earned pennies for a set!

15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a digital aircraft gauge in an O/T car because no automotive gauge provided the required functionality. I needed 4 EGT readings on the same gauge at the same time (bar graph style). Can't get that from any auto gauge manufacturer but it wasn't too hard to find from an aircraft supplier. The only issue is that obviously it is out of "theme" with the rest of the dash, but the functionality is worth it.

16. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Ryan, very cool. I have had a unnatural wanting fo something simmilar I am a fan of Lumi nox watches, at least the black and white design which is not far from these, not as nice but close. i love the military/aircraft look and feel of them.

17. All I want to know is....HOW MUCH and WHERE DO I GET SOME??????
    I also love old watches and have quite a few.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I have Nixie tubes in my watch, I'm waiting for someone to put them in automotive gages.

19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

But I like to at least see if oil was put in it in the pits.:D Believe it or not, I did a burnout, and ran an 1/8th mile deal with O oil pressure once, Brad Penn 70 wt and never hurt the bearings. Took our check and went home. :cool:

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

^^^^^^^^^ not the prescribed way to save weight^^^^^^^^^
    Those guages are nice. I had an artificial horizon from a cessna in my T-bucket when I was a stupid kid. The oil in the guage would bubble up and take some time to settle when I shut it down. It was cool then though. Wish I was.

21. Ryan -

Interesting post ... When I first started reading it, I had to glance up at the URL in the address box of my browser to make sure I wasn't reading one of your Gear Journal Blogs :)

I would welcome a (high quality) mass produced gauge along the lines of your dream/vision ... the one-off custom faced gauges are still a bit too pricey for the average Hot Rodder.

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Sexy! Love everything about these photos and the story on these Sinn instruments. COOL!

PS: And by the way... Thanks a lot... One more thing to view and dream about on that auction site we are not supposed to mention. Already have a few timepieces bookmarked to watch!

23. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Hey Ryan, I get where you're coming from. It's one of the things I don't miss about being an engineer. You are asked to advise where to take a new product, potentially to leave the competition in the dust. And when you make your presentation, and in your case an actual jewel of an example. You can hear the crickets in the room. I always hated that!!

Your vindication of knowing fantastic design is found right here. With the Atomic Industry and all the message boards, known worldwide and loved by many.

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

doesn't classic instruments make gauges to look like whatever you want them to? maybe not bezels but at least the faces. maybe it was someone else.

25. sophisto79

sophisto79

I love Sinn watches, didn't know about the dash chronographs though. They would go perfectly in a Carrera Panamericana hot rod like "El Caballo" or, dare I say, the Spencer Deuce? :eek:

My watch obsession has evolved to car clocks, so now I'm really in trouble...:rolleyes:

26. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Or just a tach.

27. sophisto79

sophisto79

28. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Now all you need is a Halda Twinmaster or a Speedpilot.

Kurt O.

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I never really gave my gauges much thought. They are there and perform a function. Earlier this week my volt gauge started to act up and I just thought I'll pull it out, send it to Classic Instruments to be rebuilt and be done with it. Now you've got me thinking why not find some gauges that suit the car, and me, better. Something art deco. Thanks, certainly food for thought.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They make a fine gauge... Probably the top gauges on the market for us hot rod types... They are very good.

Of course, the brand used to be Stewart Warner... They were one of the best. If you take apart a gauge made by SW in the 1940's, you will see a really well engineered piece. They were beautifully done and built to last. And hell, many of them are still working just fine with little to no service.

Take apart a brand new S/W gauge and you will be disappointed. There is no passion past the initial impression. It's all glory, no guts.

I guess what I'm saying as a guy that LOVES gauges is... SCREW cost efficiency... SCREW low price points... Someone needs to step up and actually make an "instrument" again.