Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE engine swap for y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Aug 12, 2011.

1. oj

oj

A buddy has a 61 starliner with a wornout 'y' block and automatic, he also has a 61 country squire with a 390 fe, will the fe bolt to the tranny behind the 'y' block in the starliner?
    Thanks oj

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I would think it would. A FE will bolt to an earlier Ford o Matic ith the right convertor
    also.

3. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

GOOD MOVE ..y blecchh is not all that

4. Why blocks are great!!

5. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

Was the '61 Starliner even available with a Y block? I'm sure it's base motor was an FE Block.

It should bolt right in, depending on what they had to modify to get a Yblock in there.

6. A 292 y-block was available in '61.

7. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

You will need an FE bellhousing to fit your fordamatic or cruiseomatic.

8. I'd HIGHLY recommend you trade or sell the Ford-O-Matic and go with the MX 3-speed Cruise-O behind that 390. C-O-M should be easy to find since they were used in a LOT of late '50s-mid-'60s Ford/Mercury applications with big-blocks, i.e. T-birds, Galaxies/Montereys, etc.

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

An FE will NOT bolt to a Y Block trans. The bellhousings bolt patterns are completely different. However, a FE and Cruis-o-matic and/or C6 would be a very straight forward swap. Crites has most of the parts for the FE + C6 swap into that car.

Yes, the 292 Y-Block was still available in '61. It was a W Code on fullsize Fords and Mercs.

Good Luck

10. Agreed the 292 trans wont hook up to a FE. While your at it why not change over to a stick. Thare is a big differece between the fun factor of a auto and a stick. You already have a 9 inch rear. Plus no more pouring tranny fluid into it. OldWolf