Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1960 f100 short bed custom cab w/big window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, May 23, 2011.

1. can anyone help me with info/descision on the intake and carb situation.

2. Im using an original 4 barrel intake with a new holley carb w/ manual choke. It runs pretty well.

3. Mrharvard, See I thought about it but I want to save gas and keep it mostly original. I dont know if I shoulf run the carb or intake thats on it now and rebuild the og carb or run the carb and intake off the old motor thats rebuilt and painted.

4. Anyilone know about the intake and carb situation im having?

5. Anyilone know about the intake and carb situation im having?

6. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Either of those carbs should fit either manifold.

I would say run which ever one is in the better shape.
    You can always swap carbs later.
    The Holley is probably a better performance choice but the Autolite 2100 is about as simple and reliable of card as you can find.
    It might depend if you can get the automatic choke to work to suit you on the Autolite. The simplicity of a manual choke would be a plus in my opinion.

Your choice.
    Either will work if in good shape.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  7. fordf1001954

fordf1001954

you can put the later two barrel holley on there from a v6 to a 351w they should bolt right on there then you can tune the carb to your liking, plus parts are easier and less expensive than one for the autolight carb that you have i have the same one

8. The thing is, I would need to make my descision now since the manifold on the motor has a line tapped into the intake and the painted one doesnt.

9. Go with what your gut feels or what you like. and be patient for people to reply ;)

10. 53olds, thats the thing....I dont know what my gut feeling is on this haha. I honestly am being as patient as I can. Im just tlstrapped for time to get this truck out of the garage. Im sorry If I was pushy.

11. haha it's all good man. I know what it's like. Just run the good carb on your painted manifold.

12. Ok cool,thats what I will do. I just dont know what color to paint everything lol

13. When in doubt, paint it black

14. Well im trying to find a high temp cat iron paint over 1000 degrees for my manifolds. I already painted the intake with duplicolor cast iron, now the block black?

15. Well I think I found the paint. Its vht cast iron paint 2000 degrees. Dount it on the summit website. Also I am leaning away from por15 and closer to rustoleum because por15 will never come off of things and its messy.

16. Well at my job we sell eastwood stainless steel temp 1300. Not sure which one to go with. For the manifolds

17. Well I got back to working on the truck yesterday and night. During work I went to the muffler man and purchased all ned exhaust manifold studs,nuts and washers for the collectors. Then when I got home I split the new motor from the trans. Hopefully I will get the motor on the stand tonight so that I cant take it apart for cleaning and I can install all the new gaskets. I was wondering, do I need to take the torque converter off to put the motor on the stand?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Yes you will have to remove the torque converter. Most engine stand mounts aren't deep enough to go around the torque converter

19. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Hey dude -

If you want to really get anal (like I do) with restoration, check out this link that I started on fordtruckenthusiasts.com. I was trying to decide how to color my engine.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/293251-how-to-properly-color-a-y-block.html

It's proper engine colors for the truck Yblocks from '54 - '64.

Sure - I restore, but I have a hand in the kustom goodies too. I like to mix the two....it's kool to see an engine in its clean, original finish...

Just another '57 - '60 Effie guy chimin' in...

20. I thank you a bunch for that! I read every page! Still get alittle run around of what my motor is supposed to be painted though.

21. Thanks kage, hopefully I get this thing on the stand tonight.

22. I got the torque converter off I tried everyway and the sawzall was last resort. Its finally on the stand.

23. Well the motor has been on the stand and its pretty well stripped down, I will be cleaning it this weekend and prepping for paint. Do the block and heads need to be primered first then painted?

24. thishero

thishero

great thread, just found it. I'm build a 57 f100 myself, it's going a lot slower then yours though, just over 2 years, but I'm not being as 'correct' as you are, it has the camaro clip, and I just picked up a painless wiring harness off of craigslist. Oh, plus I've been using POR-15 on everything that the sun doesn't see including frame and firewall.

25. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Let's see some updates....where are the pics?...lol

26. Thanks for the kind words. Sounds like you got a nice little project there. Have you started a build thread for yours? I was going to use por 15 but its kind of messy and it fades easily. I think im going with satin black rustoleum on the frame and a few other components. Its cheaper and is pretty durable.

27. Im workin on it....lol I have the motor down to just the block and heads now. I just need to finish up on the cleaning then I get to set all new gaskets and paint everything.

28. Ok some progress here. I got the bed to frame wood blocks and pads in the mail yesterday, now im waiting on the radiator support bolts and bushings along with the bed to frame bolt kit.

29. Finally some news!!! I finally received some parts in the mail from dennis carpenter. I received my 180 thermastat, front flex fuel line, thermastat housing gasket, raditor support pads and bushings, waterump bypass tube,gas liine to floor grommet and bed to frame bolt nut and washer kit. now lets get this show on the road!!! haha