Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thank you Gene.

I wasn't sure if anybody would remember, or if this Thread would need constant babysitting.

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Pickupguy, go back to the posts on the pages I have listed and read them.

The problem started because the thread started outside the HAMB format to begin with and went under the radar for a while before it was discovered to be out of line. I have no idea how or what happened, but the moderator had to bring it back in line and things went down hill from there. We have been through all of this before.

Think about this thread as a race track. Somewhere along the way, the racers (us posters) started pushing the limits, and the promoter (the moderator) had the get everything back to the rules the track is suppose to run under. He did what he had to do, then closed the track when the racers became demanding. We managed to convince him we could run under the rules, so the track reopened. In short order the racers began to go back to the old ways and the promoter reminded us of the promise to run under the rules. We got a clear reading of the rules to play be and we need to do so or the track will close again. If you can not follow the rules set down, you are free to not play here. The rules are not open to debate and the thread will be closed if there is much argument over the rules.

Again, these are the rules, it doesn't matter what happened here before or what happens elsewhere on this forum. If you do not want this thread to disappear, follow the rules. Simple as that. Gene

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The rules we have to live by. plain and simple. Gene

4. possum11028

possum11028
    from Charlotte

The first bumper deal with Bobby was the second race @ Talladega in 1981 when he lost his rear bumper in a scuffle in turn 2 . He was driving the #28 Buick, since NASCAR had restricted the spoiler on the LeMans making it uncompetitive. The '82 Daytona deal was with DiGard & was a direct result of the previous experience in the #28 car. Loss of a rear bumper made the "Nip Roof" Buick burble less air in its wake & thus helped it gain speed.

5. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, to 50Dodge4x4 and to the moderator for setting everyone straight. To be honest, when I started it I did not know the rules. The moderator was obviously busy and didn't see what was happening until later. He then clarified it.

It is what it is, be thankful for what we've got. Anything older than mid-60s, take it to TrackForum.

I for one don't want to be kicked off this site. There is too much other stuff I'm interested in.

6. Falconred

Falconred

Pickup Guy, this forum is for older cars whether it be hot rods, lakesters or stockers. The whole thing about the Jalopy Journal and the HAMB was created with that in mind. The owner and the moderators feel that that is the way is should stay and will not (understandably) allow any modern (anything late sixties and up) on it. We have been through this before and to keep this topic active we must abide by these rules. A Thread for later models would not be allowed here. I have discussed this with a couple of moderators and after a personal answer to PMs I understand where they are coming from and respect their rules. If this topic gets too far astray they will lock it down.

I don't know where you can go for the later stuff but you might try the site mentioned. You can go also go to
    http://racersreunion.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network
    and join in on some great old stock car information and debate and goes up to the ninties.

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

OK, let me be clear. I remain a fan of the HAMB and I frequent this site because there are so many cool threads that bring back so many memories.

As for the rules, it's like anything else in life. Ya got what ya got. If ya don't like it, ya go somewhere else.

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thank you for your loyalty, John.

As long as it can stay within the HAMB parameters, this is a valueable Thread.
    And thats why its still here...

As for the nuts & bolts of it, at this point.

We have 10 Deleted posts, and 2 Banned Users on this last page alone.

We cant keep putting this much time into this Thread.

Please keep things On Topic and Relevant.

9. Does anyone out ther have any pics of stock cars from the early 50's fro Raceway Park in Blue Island, Ill ? or Soldier Field in Chicago?

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

s10ace, we need to get Stan Kalwasinki on here. He's got all kinds of photos on his Chicagoland site.

11. s10ace, did you look at this entire thread? I've posted some Raceway pics andone or two from Soldiers Field from my Stan Kalwasinki collection.

I'll see if I can post some more this weekend...

Joel

12. Peter Pan of Chicago -- Yeh, looked at the thread several times. Great thread. Been to the Raceway Park site also. There is got to be more pictures out there of the early fifties? Looking for the 4 door sedan type stock cars. My Dad drove a 4 door 39 Chevy, I think #12, silver with red on the doors around 1950-1953 or so. As a kid going to the track with my grandfather to see my dad race, I remember these cars being real battle wagons. Doors caved in, broken springs and bumpers draging near the end of the season. These guys drove these cars to the track I was told. Anyway post anything you have, this pst needs more pictures to talk about. Wish I had some to post from that era.

13. denracer

denracer

The #32 Red and Yellow Ford would be Namon Martin from Cleveland, OH.

14. denracer

denracer

The car was found racing in the "claimer" division at Heidelberg Speedway just south of Pittsburgh, pretty much as you see it in the picture. I can't remember all of the details, but old Buck Baker verified that it was his car.

15. I emailed him, no response yet.

16. allstarracing

allstarracing

Which post was this car in? I would like to view it again. Allstaracing

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

i would like to see some more 59-64 cars. if you're holding out, don't. i love all the chrome bumpered racers, but since we do have a cut-off, i'll look elsewhere for my 65-77 fix...

18. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

I'm not sure If I will get in trouble with this picture or not. Not sure of all the rules here. Anyway, a tough runner from Michigan Wayne Bennett who I believe is still living down in Alabama. Bennett was some kind of tough on the dirt. This is the car he drove to the 1965 Pitts 200 at Heidelberg PA.

[​IMG]

19. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's great, as long as the cars themselves are mid 60's (or older), the time frame isn't an issue.

20. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Here is Wayne again and recognize the guy to the left. Yep, the late Benny Parsons who started out crewing for Bennett and that is where he got his start in racing.

[​IMG]

21. denracer

denracer

Kurt also built some fine race cars when he was living in the Cleveland, OH area back in the late 50s and early 60s. A real craftsman

22. Lightning071

Lightning071

Guys, this thread is what made me finally sign up here. The New Smyrna and Mopar stuff is great! keep it coming!

23. genuine jack

genuine jack

i'm wondering about these 2 pix . the top pic looks like it might be old bridge , n.j. during the northern tour in 1964 . i went to that track many times as a kid . also saw my first GN race there in 1965 . the track closed in 1967 , i believe . is this old bridge ?
    the second pic looks to be a NASCAR GN West [ can't remember what they called it back then , but i think their races counted toward the NASCAR GN championship back then ] race - obviously on a road course . it doesn't look like riverside , tho . i believe oscar maples [ on the flank of one of the fords ] sponsored parnelli at times , tho he usually ran #97 back then . where is this track ?

jack

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  24. meanwhile back at the track !!! >>>>.

25. more from the dirt tracks >>>>.

26. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Here's a photo that should fit into the date criteria - Detroit's then new "compact" cars racing in Nascar. GM's Corvair, Chrysler's Valiant and Ford's Falcon were all the talk when they first came out in 1960 and Nascar tried to capitalize on that by giving then their own series. The series was not very popular with race fans, however, and only lasted 1 year, if I'm remembering correctly.
    <TR><TH></TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

27. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

They piled up just like their big brothers did..........
    <TR><TD><!-- navigation -->
    <!-- navigation -->
    </TD><TD> </TD></TR><TR id=photo_view_row valign="top"><TD id=view_photo_td><TABLE style="WIDTH: 500px"><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE id=ph_style8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 summary=valiants600x375rj9><TBODY><TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR><TR id=ph8mid><TD><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var photonotes = new Object();</SCRIPT>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR>

28. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

The Pettys had one.
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

29. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Marvin Panch had a Plymouth Valiant too.
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>

30. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Marvin Panch in action in his Valiant.
    <TR><TH>[​IMG]</TH></TR> <TR id=ph8mid><TD>
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR>