Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 30, 2008.

1. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

HEY. Who knows the exact address of the front gate/entrance to old US 30 Dragway in Indiana???? I'm gonna be right near US 30 highway this weekend. Really want to locate the old strip and stop to take some photos!!!! Wife thinks i'm nuts..."why would you want to take photos of old asphault"...DUUHHHH...lol. I have a Garmen..if you can give coordinates...etc? What landmarks...etc... are visible to help me locate it?? Thanks alot in advance, Joe

2. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

3. Da Injun

Da Injun

It is off of Clay Street North of U.S. 30......GO to Google type in this as a close by reference then hit Google maps...........

4901 E 81st Ave, Merrillville, IN...hit the map and go north up on Clay...you will see the strip.

4. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

7752-7950 Clay St
    Merrillville‎ Indiana‎ 46410
    United States

From the map app on my I phone. That puts you looking straight down the track. It looks like it's all still there. My wife thinks the same thing. Post your pics.

Kevin

5. This was racing on an old highway that was closed in 1970. Grass roots

Attached Files:

6. torino_Joe

torino_Joe

Man that's legit.What I wouldn't give to back to that time for a day.......
    Thanks for the pics.

7. Falconred

Falconred

I don't know if I have posted already about this but Lloyd's Drag Strip was the first track I ever visited. When first opened it was mostly dirt with a concrete (way ahead of its time) starting pad about a hundred feet or so long. You can go to the like about the Double H and see a little about Lloyd's.

8. I grew up going to LACR in Palmdale, CA. My dad and i used to go there every weekend for as long as i can remember.

[​IMG]

9. 71Dart440

71Dart440
    from Wichita KS

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  10. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Here's the coordinates: 41.475601,-87.2796

Kevin

11. boullion

boullion

does anybody remember a vega called the rabbit full tubechas i just got the car

12. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

I found US 30 and took a ton of photos. When i get time i'll post them up. You can still see the blue crest with "AHRA/US30" painted in between the lanes!! Thanks guys for the address info!

13. flboatman1

flboatman1
    from Florida

Say Hi to your Dad for me I'm the old owner of Tenora Dragways your friend Gary Hansen I live in Fl. now. I wish I still had the dragstrip. e mail add. [email protected]

14. aar0s

aar0s
    from So.Il.

This is what the track in Harrisburg looked like before they started working on it, getting it race ready a year or so ago.
    [​IMG]

there was a track in Williamson county Il just west of Marion, there is a car dealer there now i think but when i was a kid i remember seeing the lights still on the poles with trees grown up around it.

15. derbydad276

derbydad276

16. David Gurr

David Gurr

Lions and Santa Ana are still intact. The former is under the 405 behind hurricane fencing and the latter is just there alongside of the road; even the tower is still there for SA, or Santa Anita as it was called then by the competitors and spectators.

17. 296ardun

296ardun

Are you sure? Lions was just south of the 405, you can still see parts of the pits --- it is now a shipping container yard....I don't remember Santa Ana having a tower, CJ Hart had a rickety stand above an old hearse that served as the "tower".....you can find where Lions was on Google earth by locating Alameda and 223rd ...Willow was at the end of the finish line...I know because I got there once when the chute came out late.....

18. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Santa Ana is, in fact, beneath runway 19 Right at John Wayne Airport today. Do you mean OCIR?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  19. Igosplut

Igosplut

I am actually surprised they haven't managed to kill off New England Dragway (NH) due to all the houses that have been encroaching on the site for years now, but they keep getting bigger...

20. Normbc9

Normbc9

I'll run some names by you. I ran at all of these 1953-1970.
    LADS, Colton, Ramona, Carslbad, Paradise Mesa, Holtville, Riverside raceway, Santa Paula Airport, Goleta, Famoso, Half Moon Bay, Vacaville, Santa Rosa Airport, Orange County raceway, Irwindale, Torrance (North American plant airfield) and also another at Victorville.
    Normbc9

21. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Damned sad thread but someone has to keep the history alive. Was hoping for maybe a pic or two of the old Harrison County Dragstrip near Corydon Indiana. It was the only track in the region I never got to.

22. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Where was this track located? I live near corydon and wasn't aware of it.

23. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

24. Lusos

Lusos

Hi all, me and a friend did some investigating a few years ago and found [what was left of] the old Warner Robins International Dragway outside of Perry, Georgia.

http://www.sedsm.org/showthread.php?33636-Old-Warner-Robins-Dragway...

Only approx 1/8th of the track is left. In the distance you can see the foundation of the track was used for the base of the 4-lane "bus highway" that leads to the local public schools form the bus barns.

I just wanted to compliment you guys on an awesome thread. Though a bit depressing, I have enjoyed every sentence.

25. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Here's a old shot from Harrison County[​IMG]

26. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Can anyone tell me where the Dahio dragstrip near Dayton, Ohio was? Was it near or at the Dahio airport?

Thanks,
    Kevin

27. fogs58

fogs58
    from ooo

28. Robert1555

Robert1555

Does anybody remember Willow Run Raceway in Oklahoma City? It was 12 miles east of town on I-40 and you exited at Chochtaw Road. It was also called Oklahoma City International Raceway. Does anyone remember directions to where the track would have been once you exit off I-40 at Chochtaw Road? One thing I remember about the track as at the very end was a creek. If you have any info email me at [email protected]

29. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I was stationed at Robins AFB after I came back from VietNam. Used to go out to the dragstrip regularly and play "towfish" for any touring F/C's that needed a hand. The track owner was Bobby "Waterboy" Boyd. He got that nickname because he once had almost an entire season rained out. The funniest thing that I remember was that after the shutdown area,there was a farmer's soybean field. Any car that couldn't get stopped wound up in there. Whenever Radici & Wise ran there,the farmer would sit on his tractor out in that field and wait for Radici. He'd charge 10 bucks to pull him back onto the track. The joke back then was that Radici went into the po'beans so many times,he had bought that old farmer a new tractor...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  30. hotrod19611

hotrod19611

Hey Fellow racers and rodders!! New to this forum as of today. This thread unbelievable!! So much history and also so many tears. I grew up with York US 30 and remember it well. What I'd like to know is any info on a track outside of Lancaster, PA. Actually it was in Mountville, PA. Originally called the Garden Spot Airpark. I believe it was shut down around "61 or "62. Some farmer had a chinchilla farm next door and the noise was tormenting them. Oh well,,,,he should have moved!! Anyways, if anyone has some photos or info about t let me know. My girl and I just drove down that way this past weekend. The concrete runway/racing surface is still there but nothing else. Keep this thread going. It is so informing and nostalgic!!