Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Motorama-Long Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuck Foster, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Chuck Foster

Chuck Foster

Wondering if anyone has been to this show before? Long drive to see duds. Sounds good on paper , but so does a new puppy.

2. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Sick show! If you don't go you are missing some of the best cars in the buisness and around the world. The promotion is awesome , and trace and his crew are badass and know their stuff. You need to go. Its the new grand national! Imhfo - chris

3. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

look it up they have a killer website and there is alot of info on threads on this site. do some research about it!

4. I went last year. Broke my car on the way and went anyway. The show is more about the customs. It's a lot like old time indoor car shows. There is some life style scenester BS, but not very much. It's about the customs. I'll go again. Trying to make my car ready.

5. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

Long Beach is a long drive comming from San Diego. I'm going this year, but I don't know how well the car is going to take the long drive. I'm trying to cover all ends and make sure the car is tip top before I leave. One of the guys is going to have his car in the Dome.

6. Check out my thread from last year. Lots of pic's.....I definately recomend it,if you are driving distance. Many changes to tune it up from last year. Trace has listened to all the feedback and made adjustments to improve the experience.
    Also....It's NOT just about Customs. There were some great Hotrods in the show last year. Bikes also.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

They don't do a very good job of answering questions about the show from their website...I asked for info and sent a pic of my car back in March. I'm still waiting...!!!

R-

8. Trace Edwards is a HAMB member. Send him a PM.

9. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

there are two ather people on the hamb that are on the advisory board for this show thats me and evil as well as trace PM sent to you 0StudeDude

you could even post your car up here as well

10. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

if your a custom car guy this is and was as of last year one of the BEST custom car shows put together that ive seen in my life time simply amazing !

11. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

12. I drove my '56 down from San Jose with Alex in his '54. I have to say I walked inside and I shit my pants. It is to much to take in. It is by far one of the best shows in the world. I would highly recommend it.

13. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/faphkpi68I8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/faphkpi68I8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

14. Deu55

Deu55

Went to the show last year, best show I have been too!Looks to be just as good or even better this year.

15. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Much respect for you and the products that come from your shop but thats a matter of opinion. This years Customs display at GNRS was epic, made history, and will never be matched !

16. went last year and no idea what to expect.. ..kicked myself in the ass for not taking a car, i had no idea there were not only bad ass customs and hot rods parked inside..AND bikes! but also a full car show outside on the grass all around the lake as well!!.. i'll be taking a car to it this year for sure. its worth the drive or travel time for sure.. plus the so cal weather is perfect this time of year .. really was a killer show last year for being the 1st one.. i bet this year is gonna be really good..

and really ? san diego to long beach is consisdered far ? bitchen easy drive up the 5 fwy and cut accross the 405.. ride along the ocean most the way..

got till the end of september.. see ya there

17. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

yes it was and so was the history of the merc display in sacto.have you been to the long beach motorama as of yet?

18. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Best show in my opinion! I had an absolute blast last year!

Yeah the inside show is all about customs but the outside show is amazing. We are displaying our 1958 Te-440 flathead dragster "The Antique Doll" with all of the other historic race cars.

19. Trace Edwards

Trace Edwards

Hey Mate, I am gonna have to ask you to Pull your head out of your axle!

No one on this side of the fence is trying to "match" a one time gathering of history's' greatest kustoms.

What is going on over here is creating a bigger then life experience for the automobile enthusiasts; and yes, we focus on the builders of today that are building our future classic and revered kustoms and hot rods. This year we have coach builders debuting and showing on the arena floor as well. I encourage you to have a long read all about the show on www/lbmotorama.com

[FONT=&quot]Since last year over 30 people have started and are completing traditional kustoms-hot rods-restos and coachwork craftsman built cars to debut on the arena floor; builders like Oz Welch-John D’Agostino-Rick Dore- Zane Cullen to name a few. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This year the arena floor will be sprinkled with the finest examples of hand crafted automobiles to a beyond restoration vehicle from legendary builder Hershel “Junior” Conway. Last year’s America’s Kustom D’Elegance winning car; a 1953 Cadillac built by Rick Dore will be featured on the white carpet turntable, at the end of red carpeted "Avenue of Dreams" that splits the entire arena floor. Again this year we will import and distribute 7 tons of pure white salt rock to surround the outer placed kustoms and traditional hot rods.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Taking place in the Historical lobby a uniquely special collection at this year’s Motorama will pay tribute to the pioneering horsepower godfathers. This is the first time in car show history that three of the biggest names in horsepower; Edelbrock-Iskenderian and Hilborn, will be shown side by side with 2 of these living legends in attendance as well.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Motorama will be the car show debut of the original race roadster Edelbrock Special owned by Bill Lakes, Bonneville records 53-54, which has not been seen by the public for 57 years (Pictures to follow soon). Alongside the Edelbrock roadster will sit Ed “Isky” Iskenderian’ s roadster and Isky himself, next is the Hilborn lakester (clone) and Stu Hilborn himself, sitting with the 63 year old ORIGINAL injector that Stu created in 1948.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Other cars that are part of this salute to horsepower are the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ralph Whitmore owned-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Tom Cobb roadster (I will go into greater length on this car in a later post, as this is a very large display with a lot of great stuff!) The SoCal belly tanker of Alex Xydias, graciously lent to us from Bruce Meyer and the NHRA Museum.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Motorama will also host the debut of the Frank Lockhart-Stutz Blackhawk Speedster (clone) being completed by Jeb’s Metal Works utilizing the original motor. (I will go into greater length on this car and driver legacy in a later post, as this is a very long story with a lot of great stuff!)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The one-off Timbs special will again be seen for the second time in 50 years; but this time we have recreated the house from the 1947 Motor Trends cover that featured the car; as a back drop. Additionally, you will be able to view the streamliner from an elevated platform which brings the silhouette to life![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This year we have expanded on the diorama car display concept and have recreated a couple of Southern California’s historic Kustom shops and one very legendary drag strip. The first one we have completed is the Atlantic Blvd.-Lynwood, Ca-1959 Barris Kustom City shop. The steel facade is 60’ wide by 12’ tall, the back wall of the 12’ deep display is a full length backdrop showing the shop and grounds. We plan on staging four original Barris built cars in the “parking lot” of the Kustom City shop. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The first to confirm is “The Emperor”, owned by Blackie Gejian, this is the roadster that won the 1960 AMBR. Stay tuned for announcements on the other two cars confirmed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The second shop to be recreated is Ed “Big Daddy” Roth’s Crazy Painters shop. We couldn’t think of a better platform to showcase the wild show cars of the late 50’s-early 60’s. So far confirmed cars are the "Origanal" Outlaw, Tweedy Pie, Rotar, Beatnik Bandit 1, Mysterion, Mega Cycle, Von Franco will be on hand air-brushing tees and sweat shirts in front of the shop all weekend long on the arena floor. Stay tuned for announcements on the cars confirmed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Partnering with NHRA Museum, we have created a 24’ wide by 80’ long starting line of the most famous drag strip in the West-Lions Drag Strip. See 8 cars on the asphalt strip complete with metal guard rail-hanging starting light with recorded 1968 introduction of Don “the Snake” Prudnomme over the track speakers. See vintage photos and videos of Lions Drag Strip racing on the starting line wall.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Rattler-AA/FD— Yeakel Plymouth Special-AA/FD[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Magic Muffler Fiat-AA/FA— Winged Express-AA/FA[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Antique Doll-50’s front engine Flathead— McCloskey/Jordan-60’s front engine Flathead[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Stone-Woods and Cook Willys 60’s Gasser—Greer-Black and Prudnomme AA/FD[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]We have continued to expand the Wall of Legends tribute of America’s first generation of Hot Rodders and Kustomizers. This year 14 men will join last year’s 11 inductees in the Historical Lobby area of the show. Minus our fallen heroes, all of the Legends will be on hand for conversation and signings throughout the weekend. We make each inductee a half page post card of their wall plaque for signing; so be sure to get one from each of them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mike “Blackie” Gejian[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ed “Isky” Iskenderian[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Stuart Hilborn[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Jesse Lopez[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dick Bertilucci[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Art Himsl[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Bill Reasoner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mike Alexander[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Larry Alexander (passed)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Daryl Starbird[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Chuck Miller[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Harold Murphy[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Spencer Murray[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tom Kelly[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2010 Inductees:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]George Barris[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sam Barris (passed)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Hershel “Junior” Conway[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gene Winfield[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Bill Hines[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dean Jeffries[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sam Foose[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Frank DeRosa Sr.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Dick Jackson[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Larry Watson (passed)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Joe Bailon[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    This year we have added a new recognition award titled "Legend of Motorsport". The criteria for this award is based on a persons contribution to the show car sport; of having cars built and showing cars for a minimum of a continuous 30 years. Weather this is through restoring or acquiring and preserving historical vehicles. This year's inaugural award will go to two men that have done just this and way more, Jack Walker from Missouri and Joe & Phylis Moreno of California. Jack Walker will be showing his 1941 Buick for the first time on the WestCoast,[​IMG]

and Joe & Phylis Moreno will have their Bill Reasoner built 1941 Ford on display.[​IMG]

Both vehicles will have freestanding story displays explaining just what these people have given in effort of continuing this tradition.

The trophy head was designed by myself and metal craftsman Mickey Galloway and is hand created by him and his skilled staff. The topper will be mounted to a walnut pillar of the same diameter with a naming plate and the recipients names. The individual will receive a smaller version to take home and display proudly. This is all hand welded and filed edges and completely hollow. My hats off the Mickey!

[​IMG]

I hope this helps clear the air. I look forward to meeting you one day.

20. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yup sounds like a "dud" to me, HAHAHAHA!

21. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Last years tribute to my Homi Frank DeRosa Sr and all the other greats was kickass!

22. That "Wall of legends" is pretty badass!!!!

23. Are they making event shirts this year?

24. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

THis years show is going to out of controll.. I've been working with trace lining up cars etc.. and you guys thought last year was a greate show wait to see whats gonna happen this year... DON'T MISS THIS YEAR!!! you will regeret it.. :D

25. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Thats what I like to hear! :D:D:D:D:D:D

26. Trace Edwards

Trace Edwards

Ron Guidry called today to let me know the "Original" Renegades will be on hand all weekend alongside all the attending legends from the wall. We will have them set up on the outer wall of the arena floor. They will also be doing a club pick in the outside car show area on Saturday.

27. Trace Edwards

Trace Edwards

Yes sir!

28. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Got confirmation today for the shoebox, thanks trace, fastest confirmation I have ever had!

29. sololobo

sololobo

Nice work answering some questions, and a real informative capsule of this great event. I was so impressed with the arena set up. The wall of legends is so hip, great to see these innovators recognised Straight ahead Alex and compadres, it will kick ass again this year. When I lived in Whittier I attended a show there and it rocked. Pedal to the metal! ~sololobo~

30. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Incredible! I can't wait! Unreal work of epic porportions by Trace, Piero and the crew! See ya there!