Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wal-Mart Batteries ( Buyers Beware)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I used to get most of my batteries from the junk yard back in high school and completely forgot about them as a source for good batteries at a good price! Thanks for reminding us :rolleyes:

2. seatex

seatex

I thought guys only went to Wallyworld to look at all the "hot" chicks!

3. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

So I bought a $200 Milwaukee cordless drill. Good American manufacturer, right?
    When I got it - Made in China.

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

Why are you shopping there if you hate that Damned store........? Your part of the problem ... you are supporting them............

5. Shame on you for shopping at wall mart in the first place

6. slammed

slammed

Their batteries suck. Always have. Most (poor) are forced to go, due to lack of money. Followed with their spreading like cockroaches across rural Amerika. They have those 'Go Team' chants that are scary.

7. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Had to recently buy a battery for my sister`s car. I have friends that work for Batteries Plus and the cheapest I could get one for was about $70.00 through them...and that was paying barely over cost.

Walmart had one in stock for $48.00

I see no problems.

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Actually,I`ve had really good luck with their batteries over the years. It`s the Diehards and Valucraft ones that freaking suck.

9. rgaller

rgaller

LOL, interesting way of rationalizing things. :rolleyes:

10. therein1951

therein1951
    from onsted mi.

last year i replaced the k-mart battery in my 35 ford. it was 15 years old. i keepa maintainer on it when not driving it. the battery in my wifes 85 el camino is a wal mart. made by johnson controls. it is 10 1/2 years old. I live elswhere in the winter so keep maintainers on every thing that sits all season. i would buy another wal mart battery in a heartbeat.

11. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Walmart's here to stay!

My guess is that a lot more of you are shopping there than care to admit it...............it's a matter of economics.

12. EXACTLY! Keep the receipt in the car with the registration/insurance papers

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

What about one of these self-sticking pouches? Seems simple enough to attach one to a battery and put the sales slip inside.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  14. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Actually Walmart batteries ranked better than most in Consumer reports magazine. I dont see a problem with Walmart.

15. "I don't see a problem with Wal-Mart" says the guy with USA#1 in his profile. :confused:

16. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

Show me a grocery store that has 100% everything inside made/manufactured and grown in America. Walmart gallon of milk $2.39 Safeway "union store" $4.69

17. the-rodster

the-rodster

As far as batteries, Wal-Mart is the only place I buy them from.

You never know where you might be when a battery fails, and
    they're is always a Wal-Mart nearby to exchange.

I never keep a reciept, and I've never had a problem.

I just melted the terminal on an 8 month old marine battery.
    The terminal was loose, and I was laying on the starter.
    Took it back, they said no warranty the terminal is melted.
    I said that I don't expect a free battery, just some kind of prorating.
    They said no, I said let me see the manager, the manager came to look.

I got a new battery, and they paid ME $4.26.

18. Dave K

Dave K

When I can not find a tool I need made in the USA I look for a used one made in the USA. Used USA tools work better and last longer than new tools from China. Plus they are not make from electronic waste :rolleyes:

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

[​IMG] Harbor Freight MIG welders

Posted By rld14
    [​IMG] Re: Harbor Freight MIG welders

Odd.. I work for Hyundai and own a Lexus.

20. wristpin

wristpin

better yet, try going down to the local disability/wheelchair shop. my late sister in law had a semi new chair that they came once a year to change out the gel batterys
    for new ones and did not care to pick up the old ones. when i brought the used batt. to the battery shop and put a load tester on it the kid said that was a way better
    than what they sell. i'm still running both in different vehicles to this day!

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Lots of drama once again for a thread that says the OP bought from Walmart but hates doing so.
    If I hate something I don't do it.
    Trying to find out what part of China the Walton family come from.
    They sell cheap shit because that's what their customers want.

22. wristpin

wristpin

try the local wheelchair shop. they use gel type battery's replace them once a year and leave the old ones behind. i'm still running them both in different vehicles

23. Boycott Walmart. I wonder how any person who is unemployed would knowingly buy a Chinese made product.

24. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I thought for years batteries were a big bargain until a couple of years ago when the price skyrocketed. The first battery I bought years ago was $40 and I cannot remember much of a price change for years. Lead prices have shot up along with fuel prices is what I think caused the big jump in battery prices. Of course the price of everything else has jumped too. This has been the worst inflationary period I have ever lived through.

The Walmarts around here test almost every battery I bring in the exception being the one I brought in that had the side blown out of it and was leaking. They were more than eager to get that one in the back.

I destroy Chinese can openers, I had one heck of a time finding a can opener made the USA. I found a Swingline at Walmart, of all places, and I've had it for several years. The surprising thing is the cost of the Swingline was about mid-range of the dozens of can openers there. It doesn't always cost more to buy American.

I just bought another pair of New Balance running shoes, even thought I cannot run. Made in USA is the reason I buy them. I bought them on sale for $49 but they are normally $62, again they are not the most expensive shoes in the store but mid-range puts you in American shoes. If I could find USA work boots I'd buy them.

I couldn't find a new USA made microwave but if I could that would have been the one I bought.

25. rld14

rld14

And a Jaguar too!

Here's my current keychain though, had you read the post you'd see that I mentioned what a POS the Lexus was when someone compared it to a Hyundai.

Lexus is also gone[​IMG]

26. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs

Its not just Walmart either, I went to our local OOOOreillys and bought a new Red top Optima the other day and luckily i looked at the sticker before walking out the door & the manufacture date sticker was a year old already.... so i told the guy to order me in a new one and it came & had last months date on it :)

27. Dave K

Dave K

I just found out that New Balance are made in the USA. That will be all I buy now. Can't tell you how tired I am of buying $50 shoes from China that last for less then 2 months.

As for the boots Danner has a few models that are still made in the USA but make sure you get the correct ones because many Danners are made in China now

http://www.danner.com/boots/?activity=51&features=79&top=work-boots-usa

This pages has some really pricy boots but they have some made in the USA that are in the just over $200 range

28. Im aTEAMSTER and we dont shop there! Walmart could care less about the worker and the automotive products Ive tried to use from there in the past have been nd rate.......look for your local auto parts guy for your needs much better in the long run,

29. rld14

rld14

I also like new balance shoes for the very same reason. I recently needed a new hot glue gun. Chinese? $6. American? $18. I bought the American one. The Chinese one was a cheap POS.

Like I said I'll happily buy American but on so much stuff these days you just can't :(

30. I'm all for buying USA products. I looked weeks on-line (all the local stores have Chinese shit) until I found a USA made grease gun, and I'm glad I waited. But, I can buy a huge bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce cheaper at Walmart than I can a small bottle of the same brand at Smart & Final. So, I guess "it's a place for everything, and everything in it's place"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.