Register now to get rid of these ads!

gas line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pokey, Aug 10, 2011.

1. pokey

pokey

I was having this conversation with some hot rodders and we don't know which is true. I put it to the HamB. When it comes to gas line, That is the line from the fuel pump to the carb. What is the best material to use? Steel line, braided line or aluminum. This one guy was using rubber fuel line and was having problems I think with the hot weather we have been having his gas was boiling before it got to the carb. Although the car was running ok in the early part of the day it started to really "acting up" would not idle and would die as he backed up. What do you guy's think?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I prefer steel. I don't know if it's better or worse as far as heat....but it's more likely to stay put and not get mangled by moving parts, or cut, or come disconnected. I think that's probably important.

3. oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy

I wanna say nhra says no more than 12" rubber lin efrom tank to carb

4. 32Gnu

32Gnu

Most cars come stock with steel from pump to carb that I am familiar with..
    There's no movement requiring anything other than that. Unless were talking about an electric remote pump....

5. GREASER815

GREASER815

Steel is best. Maybe a little rubber to connect at the fuel pump. Something has to give as the motor mounts will flex a little, also for vibration. I run as much steel line as I possibly can.

6. chubbie

chubbie

tech inspection says 12 inches of rubber line. this should be enofe to answer any ones question

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

PLUS ... the 10 per cent ethanol gasoline eats the rubber up bad ... turning the inside of the line into mush ... which in turn clogs the carb.

The less rubber to the BETTER ... IMHO. :D

8. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Except for the fact that that doesn't answer the question that he posed. Steel vs Alluminum was the question. I have always used steel with good results.

9. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

exactly, There is new rubber fuel line for cars these days for both carburated and fuel injected cars.
    Its a Barricade style fuel line (it has an inner tubing that withstands the different harsh chemicals in the fuel today) because of fuels today it breaks down the inside of hose and turns it to mush.
    Alot of parts stores are just starting to carry it now and alot of stores are not even aware of it..... if you are running rubber line, ask for a Barricade style fuel line.

10. deto

deto

I second that. The rubber line might not be compatible with the gas.

11. pcterm2

pcterm2

steel line-better be safe than sorry

12. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Steel hard line. What Squirrel and other suggest... Steel.

13. Fenders

Fenders

What you said if you have an electric pump somewhere...
    What Gnu said if you have a mechanical pump on the motor - nothing has to give.

But steel... I would not trust aluminum, I'd be afraid it would stress harden and crack.

14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

steel all the way,ive always swapped out the cheap hose that comes with fuel filters ,oil coolers etc with fuel inj hose which has been available for years ,also the inj style clamps work better.

15. Dapostman

Dapostman

Steel, and chrome will keep the heat out.

16. Steel
    Gates has a new rubber hose for use with eathonal

17. pokey

pokey

What about braided line. is it good for heat protection? it gives so vibration is not a factor right?

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I always use steel. Try as I may I can't get the rolled aluminum tubing to look good enough for me. It's easy and cheap but you can spot it from 30 feet. Steel with a good bender will make a much more professional job. IMHO

I can understand someone using aluminum if they were building a late 60s gasser clone with the chrome Fram filter and a big SW electric fuel pump as part of the details. I'm just not into that.

Braided stainless hoses look too street rodderish for my personal tastes.

All of this will work except 15 feet of neoprene hose. It's just a matter of style.

19. fordor41

fordor41

Use nitrile hose. it's ethanol safe