Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shades Of the Past 2011 ...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, May 8, 2011.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preregistration stops soon. May 15th 2011

This has become about the best pre 1972 event in the area ( IMHO ) ...
    The town of Pigeon Forge is full of vehicles ( a good many HAMB friendly ) and a lot of HAMBERS go. The new event site ( last year's move ) is a improvement in my opinion. :)

This thread is not about talking anyone into going. It is just a reminder ... that IF you plan to take your ride ... preregistration is over soon.

:eek:

Disclaimer :
    I am not associated with the event, the management or the staff of this event in any way. I just like going to it :D :D
    And like seeing old friends there.

2. ratster

ratster

its a good show. i hope i'm still in tenn come sept

3. Wish I'd have seen this post two months ago. Always wanted to go to this show when it was Pre-49, does it still pull in cool Pre-49? Anyone been that can offer advice on where to stay?

4. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

always look forward to this show. we all should meet up somewhere.

5. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Best week in hot roddin It DONT GET any BETTER

6. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I have always wanted to go to this show. Maybe this year who knows.....

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

IMHO

The event is still mostly pre 49 :)
    There is a good many 50's and 60's stuff also @ the event. The town itself is full of all kinds of vehicles. A L O T of the non HAMB friendly stuff hogs up the motel parking lots and never leaves ... all weekend :eek: :eek: but it is still a good event ( IMHO ). It was better when it was pre 49 ... ( it drew more registered cars ... so it was BETTER :rolleyes: ).

I have been to all of the 28 Shades of the Past before this years event :D :D but advice on where to stay is up to you. A LOT of the motels are booked solid ... year to year. Gatlinburg Tn and Sevierville TN both have motels/hotels with rooms and you can always rent a mountain cabin.

I have a group of friends who get together and rent a cabin. 3 families ... and split the cost. My wife and I prefer a Motel on the Parkway where we can see the cars crusing.

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

4 more weeks to go !! :D
    Hope the weather cools down a little by then.

9. Gator

Gator

We'll be there.

10. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

where you heading, ratster?

11. thequietwon

thequietwon

We'll be there for sure...preregistered & cabin already booked!
    Sam

12. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

13. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

It pulls in a lot of everything. Still a lot of pre 49. We will be there. We go to the show for the swap meet one day. We do the parking lot crawl at night when its cooler to look at the cars.

DO NOT STAY AT THE GRAND!!!! Voted America's dirtiest Hotel 2 years running according to what's been on the computer lately. It probably will be expensive wherever you stay especially if on the strip. A $45.00 room on Wednesday can go up to $150-175 on Thurs.-Saturday. I know , it happened to our club on more than one occasion.

You will enjoy it.

48 Poncho

14. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

I will be there with several friends,i normally stay with them over in maryville and drive back and forth.Good show to go to.

15. ratster

ratster

I was going to move back to colorado, changed my mind for now. ill be at the show on sat

16. Tripple G

Tripple G

Wish I still lived in Maggie Valley, NC - I'd be there for sure, but at 6mpg:eek:, it's a little too far (and expensive) from N. Philla, OH. Some day, when I have a trailer, I'll be there for sure!

17. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

never been how many cars show up ?

18. Gator

Gator

Couldn't tell you how many, but the strip is several miles long and it's wall to wall cars - most for sale.

You guys needing a room might wanna try Expedia.com or other travel search engines, I booked a room for the weekend just last week and I'm paying HALF what a friend is at the same place ($74 a night) He couldn't believe I got a room at all - much less cheaper. Some hotels also have a 3 night minimum, you can avoid that booking online too.

19. 26 roadster

26 roadster

no desire to get in that traffic jam,

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The registered vehicle count is over 2,500 but like already stated

The town is FULL of cars :)
    Some just park @ the Motel for 3 or 4 days ... and the entire strip ( 2 or 3 miles ) on both sides of the 4 lane parkway is a car show.
    I would guess maybe 8 thousand cars.

21. Most people 'fear' the traffic and the cops there. I've been going for years and have learned how to deal with that:

I like to book my hotel in areas near to best food and areas that attract lots of cars in the parking lot. That way I spend most my evening in the lawn chair next to the cruising and we walk to eat to see more cars.

If you do need to drive, learn the back streets to avoid the main strip as much as possible. If you stay in the left lane you can still make pretty good time down the strip. Or learn to like the crawling in the right lane and enjoy the scenery of cars and people sitting on sidelines! More of just having the right attitude to enjoy hot rodding.

And, don't break the law and the police won't bother you.

I love this show, lots of cars for me and things to do and play for the family!

22. Gator

Gator

Yup, the strip is about 3 1/2 miles long and pretty much every parking lot will be full of rods, customs, muscle cars, etc. I went a couple of years before I realized there was an actual SHOW - I thought the strip WAS the show.

Traffic an be an issue, check out Google maps for the back roads - Teaster lane to Veterans Blvd. is a good one - goes almost the length of the strip and usually flows pretty good.

23. bodyman

bodyman
    from east tx

im thinking of making the trip from texas . where would be a good place to stay ? thanks

24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Most of the on the parkway motels are likely booked solid. Most folks book a year ahead. There may be some rooms but the motel I stay has been booked solid since May or so for that weekend.

Here is a online guide

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/accommodations.aspx

OR ... like Gator said ... try http://www.expedia.com/Hotels

25. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Awesome show ! I picked my roadster up at the show last year.... Pretty bad when you buy a car with no roof in the rain... lol Still was a fun show!

26. We will be rolling into Pigeon Forge on Wednesday,,I have been to all of them so I see no reason to start missing them now,,I look forward to this show even with all the changes it has gone through over the years.

Look for Deuce Roadster and I at the Deuce Show. HRP

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Randy, too far for me to drive from Oregon!!!!----But you all will have a good time I'm sure!---Don't forget to post pix!!---Don

28. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Try to stay in Sevierville, Tn. which is about 10 mins. down the road from Pigeon Forge. It should be cheaper, and if you get up early enough, you can still get through the traffic. If you don't like driving in bumper to bumper traffic, stay off the main drag and find out from a local the back roads. Usually from 10am to 6pm, it is bad enough on a weekend. But when cars are in town it is usually bumper to bumper from 9 am till at least 9 pm.

29. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Me and Harrison will be there in a Harbor Gray early Ford....

30. ...it will be our last year cuddled up in a borrowed car. ;)

JH