Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wal-Mart Batteries ( Buyers Beware)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48 Poncho, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Went to start the 66 Custom Cab truck last week and soon found out the battery was shot. I don't use the truck a lot and didn't want to sink a lot into a battery for it so I go to our hometown Wal-Mart for a replacement.
    My first shock was how much batteries had gone up since I last purchased one. Anyway back to the real reason for the post. I was quoted prices on 3
    different batteries. Each varied in price according to cranking amps and warranty ( or so I understood) with 2, 3 and 5 years being the warranties. I settled on the 3 yr battery at $72.97. The Service guy who checked me out handed me the receipt(also warranty) which stated for me to put it in the plastic pouch located on the battery. No pouch! I asked and was promptly told we don't do that anymore; the pouches deteriorate so we stopped. I said OK but what if I lose my receipt? Then we go by the "Manufacture"date on the battery. I looked at the round blue sticker....12/10. Each time I bought a battery my warranty has always been month and year purchased not when the battery was made. I asked did that mean the battery I just purchased had already lost 8 months of warranty...."Yes Sir", "That's exactly right". I said I didn't want it and told him that the warranty was extremely misleading. He ended up going to the back and pulling one out of stock with a 6/11 manufacture date and we swapped.

Just thought I would offer a heads up to everyone to question the warranty if you buy a battery there.

That's just one more reason why I hate that Damned store!!!:mad:

2. you only would have lost the 8 months if you lost your receipt.

3. You dont hate as much as I do...move everything around once a week,,cant find a damn thing...I have made my LAST trip there..

4. Elrod

Elrod

Also, set your alarm for May, 2014 and go into WalMart and return that battery. They will hand you a new one. I've never seen a WalMart actually check to see if a battery is dead.

I bet that day you will say you are glad you bought a WalMart battery.

PS - I can't stand going in a WalMart.

5. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

That fucking place is part of this countrys problem

6. Can't put all the blame on them - you have to put a lot of it on the stupid people who go and buy all the Cheap Foreign Junk they carry. If no one bought it, it wouldn't be a problem ;)

7. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Yes it is!!

8. eddie1

eddie1

x 2!

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm kinda being a smartass, but if you hate Wal-Mart, why did you go there? Many actual battery specialty stores still exist, some even still build and re-build them on site (for example, Illinois Battery, Irving Park and Western in Chicago, and Remy Battery, 43rd and Lincoln, Milwaukee). They actually know what they are talking about, will help you pick the right one, and here is the best part - both of those places I mentioned are cheaper than China-Mart.

I know neither of those help you in TN, but you may be surprised what you find in your yellow pages.

10. Racrdad

Racrdad

That about sums it up right there!

11. rld14

rld14

Option #1: Save American manufacturing jobs, buy $99 Drill made in America.

Option #2: Fuck the country, buy $69 drill made in China.

Guess what the average dipshit chooses?

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I needed some terminals and wire when I wired my '54 Autozone & O'Reillys= CHINESE, Wal-Mart carries 3M made in St.Paul, Mn USA as far as the batteries go they are also USA made and if you don't have a receipt it's your fault and warrantys are always to the original purchaser,a lot of other businesses will tell you the same thing.Retailers have to get their goods from a middle man wholesaler who buys from whatever supplier gives him the best deal so he can pass it along and still profit,as long as Americans continue to lose jobs and lose pay and benefits they will buy cheap to get by and survive.

13. bingo!

14. hightower611

hightower611

A problem up here too.... too much shit not made in North America

We all love old American steel here... so we should all support what we love!

15. squirrel

squirrel

I been buying batteries there for a long time now, they last 5 years, I replace them when they're five years old. That's the cheapest ones, which last time I looked (month or two ago) were $47

And of course I always check the date before I buy, to make sure I get a fresh one.

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Check your yellow pages (if they exist in your area) or on line for regional battery warehouses. Fortunately we have 2 in the area, Exide, and Interstate. When I need a battery, I go to the warehouses and ask for seconds or blems. Ihave a 6V in my Plymouth that is 5 years old and still cranking, one in my Wheelhorse tractor that I thought was dead but tested fine, cleaned up the terminals and the tractor connections, now it's still going strong and was bought in 2006. I also have one in the wife's old car that my daughter is driving, that is going on 4 years old, and one in my beater that is three years old.

They are typically half the price of same battery at retail, and what makes them seconds is scratches or dents in the plastic case, or the decal is on crooked. They warranty them for 12 months, I have yet to have one fail.

My 6 volt battery cost me 19 bucks, at the Excide store.

17. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I have Auto Zone btrys that are still going after 10 yrs.

18. I put all those reciepts in the glove box of the vehicle, I thought that was what it was for.

19. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

I put 800+CCA batteries in all of my vehicles, usually NAPA batteries, I get a big discount there, and it's a mom and pop operation, and they know their crap.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah, and no one buying there means NO GROSS PEOPLE TO WATCH THERE!

Sheesh, back to the Greyhound bus terminal...

21. Willy301

Willy301

I am not certain who handles their batteries, but when I worked at Quality Farm and Fleet, the Exide Battery guy came once a month and any battery older than 3 months was rotated out and replaced with current dating. I am sure they probably either sell those older batteries at reduced cost or possibly even redated them if they passed a load test, not real sure. I would never buy a battery that has been sitting in the store for 8 months...

22. RichG

RichG

Who got the time machine out? Walmart b.s., parts store bitchin'...

[​IMG]

23. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

There is going to be a sudden,
    complete stop to Chinese stuff coming here. What are you going to do then?

24. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

This is yet another reason not to shop at Chinamart,, I mean WalMart.

25. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

You are right, I checked before I got a Walmart battery for my T(needed it on a Sunday night)' and it was made here in the USA, so I got it...wouln't buy anything else though...lasted thru the whole winter too.

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Wal Mart's price fixing put lots of people out of work in this country. So, they can't afford the $99 drill. Of course the slaves that make the cheap drill can't afford the $99 drill, or even the cheap drill. The makers of the $99 drill seek to lower costs due to a lack of sales. The solution: get the slaves in China to make the drill and close the plants in the USA. Now the $99 dollar drill costs 1/4 as much to produce, but still sells for $99, and profit margin increases. It still carries the Milwaukee name, only it is made thousands miles away. Problem is that the unemployed workers can't afford the $99 drill, and the people that can affoord the $99 drill don't buy drills. They hire cheap labor to do the drilling for them and the cheap labor buys the cheap drill. So, who is going to buy the $99 drill?
    They do that so as you are wandering around trying to find platic widget "a",you will see all the other plastic widgets and want them too.

27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Wal-Mart, bad to their people,bad products, bad to their suppliers, bad for local businesses.. Why would anyone shop there.....

28. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

1st mistake, shopping for car parts at Wal-Mart

29. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

You know if you shop there a baby kitten dies.

Why on earth would you buy a car part at Wallmart? , maybe a sweet set of camo floor mats but batteries? not even AA's from this guy

30. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Cool! Does Wal Mart sell those?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.