Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead carnage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Aug 8, 2011.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Larry, you're fired. ;)
    Blower? Please say the old V8 is gettin a blower.

2. Under compression it could not push oil/fuel into the water jacket? Thats what it looked like happened, there was a black trail on the block from number 7 to that upper keystone right were the dark mark on the gasket was. It was running a bit warm, not overheating but was foaming from the cap. Look at the photo of the drivers side head surface...it's hard to see but you can see the dark spot. I'm not an expert by any means, were else can oil leak into the cooling system but not coolant into the oil??

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. OK, on to other things, heres a sneak peek. I went to my Dads tonight as he is helping me get this thing together. My Dad has built hundreds (if not thousands) of flatheads over the years. He is a true master! He machined it a while back, and we cleaned it up, got the lifter valley and timing srea coated and the cam bearings in. That was all I had time for tonight, hope to get back on it later this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No carnage here , just a little bit of a flathead mystery.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I agree with the diagnosis, the gasket seal was bad, you can see in the gasket pictures and the piston tops on the passenger side are partialy washed clean
    it doesn't take much oil/gas to make rusty coolant look like that

if it was a crack or some other failure I would expect to see water in the oil as well

the new block looks beautiful,
    so, is that a Mercury then?
    can you tell us what your plans are?

6. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

On top of it already ;)

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I figured you would be. That's mighty SWENSON of you. :D

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

What'd you do!?:D:D:D

Looks like a nice upgrade. She outta really boogie now!

9. The plan- I'm going to yank the 221 out and I think my Brother may buy it for his A roadster he bought from me. I was going to use this engine in it originally, so all the mounts and such are set up for it.

I love the way this thing runs. It sounds EXTREMELY cammy. It has a Windfield SU-1A in it but I think the small cubic inch makes it sound mean. But it is still a small lil engine and I am yearing to go faster.

So...I have a 59AB in the works with a 4" Merc crank, Another Winfield cam, adjustable lifters, Sharp heads, and the same Thickston intake that is on the truck with a couple 97's. I was building this engine for my A roadster, but when I bought that 41 convertible the A roadster came up for sale and my Brother stepped up after selling his A roadster/pickup. So I have this lil gem 59AB just begging to go into something, and I figured the pickup be best suited. For all the cars I have owned and all the engines my Dad has helped me build, I have never owned a V8 with high compression heads let alone a 4" crank, so it should be a nice wake up!

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Are you feeling ok? You're slow for life.....well not as slow as me since I have nothing driving but slow none the less Chris!! I'm liking the direction your heading. That plan sounds like a warm little motor that'll yank the Ol' Lucifer back in her seat or bed depending where she's sitting.

Go man go, that's going to be so rad!!! I think the engine needs to be painted that same dark maroon that your wheels are painted...just sayin.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

excellent plan, I love the sound of a built flathead- there's nothing like it

12. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Who in their right mind would trust a 21 stud flathead that won't even run for 80 years?

13. CARNAGE?, who do I see about a refund? maybe I'll check with Pay Pal, TR

14. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

15. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Things happen for a reason. I think you really wanted a fresh flatty. Now your enjoyment will hit a new level. You're going to love the fresh bullet.

16. Yep, Lee wins hands down!

17. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Get 'er done Chris!

Nick.

18. Got my heads back today, machine shop said they were both a little wavy so glad I had em done. Got one head on and torqued. Went to the second one. Got about 18 bolts torqued and one stud broke! AWESOME! Put down the tools, time for bed :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Damn, sucks about that bolt. That's swear word worthy.

20. Same here hahaha !!

Easy fix is good....

Rat

21. Have a beer, it'll be better tomorrow.

22. Not a huge deal, just drill the thing out. I was just REALLY hoping to be driving it today :D

23. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Chris>>Got about 18 bolts torqued and one stud broke!>>>

Wire-brush & Never-Seez threads till you can run nuts down their full length by hand. Torque only to 45-50 ft lbs. Re-torque often.

Jack E/NJ

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the old girl must be telling you something, maybe she wants the new motor too

25. Yeah, but I need this one for another couple weeks!

26. Alright guys, she's back on the road! My ol man came over and gave me a (steady) hand drilling that stud. He has done this A LOT...and although I don't mind trying it myself, beings it is a stud in the head of a running engine I took his offer! He drilled it dead nuts center, little by little going bigger and bigger until it was the right size for an easy-out. The out she came! Put in a new stud, buttoned it up and off she goes! Runs cooler, does not miss and I think problem solved :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

What do you mean he has done it a lot?;) Glad she is all fixed:D

28. fatstax

fatstax
    from cobourg

i think its time for a good reliable small block chevy, i hear they put the valves in the heads on those motors.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn that little tool that he took the stud out looks like a life saver? What is it? It's like tapered square shaft.