Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Plymouth, It's time!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SlmLrd, May 3, 2011.

1. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

sweet car good look

2. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Newer model Dodge Ram pickup, theyre everywhere!

Hemi

Thank you!

3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Well, we got started on the chop today and bygod, its gonna look titties!! I deleted my glove box yesterday as well. (pics)

Went with a 3.5" chop in the front and about 4" or so in the rear. The ones I saw that has a nice smooth rear slope and looked proportional, seemed to go kinda small in the rear windows. I wanted the rear windows to be proportional with the stock openings and flow, so we moved them back and kept them roughly the same width as the stock windows. This allows me to have more viewing area and less sail panel.

I saw some that looked good, but there was too much sail panel for me. I want a classy yet aggressive stance, so here goes! The front floor pans were a little crispy on the edges, so we took em out and made new ones. Only soft spot left is the corners of this trunk lid- arrrgh! :eek:

So far, so good!!! :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Looking great so far!!!

5. 73RR

73RR

Looking Good.
    Can you share any more pics of the chop job?

6. farmer12

farmer12

Looking great. Curious what the next pics will be!

7. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Yes,

Got a bit more done today!! ready to lay the rear window and work some sail panels tomorrow evening. Everything went together really well, and the cuts are nearly identical on both sides. Gaps are nearly perfect and the glass is going to fit great!!

I am keeping my vent windows and will be sending a few items to be chromed this week or next. Will be doing some bodywork on the firewall in the morning before work, so more pics to come. Cell phone pics are shit, I know. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. farmer12

farmer12

Looking good Rich! Are you keeping the drip rails? What are you going to do with the bottom of the sail panels? (A definite/divining line or flowing towards the rear deck lid?)

Just out of curiosity.....when are going to sandblast the body? All to often here on the Hamb I see people fabricating/repairing metal while most of the car still has paint. My point is: how do you know what to repair, when you aren't able to see what needs to be repaired. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you:), it just baffles me sometimes how people "restore" a car.

Keep up the good work though. Nice chop! Good to see everyone has their own ideas about a 40/41 Plym chop and not just a copy of someone else's. Eric.

9. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Going to be molding round bar for the drip rails and the sail panels will flow into the trunk. Im not sandblasting the body, the car was bone stock and has never been repaired in the past and I can see all the metal. The problem spots have been cut out and the rest of the car is solid.

The only rust repair left to do is the trunk lid and the lower front clip.Im not going for a total restoration, Im building this car to drive the hell out of!! :D I plan on getting everything in strong running/working order then doing bodywork one panel at a time, while I drive.

Years ago, I took apart my 1955 Ford truck for a "total restoration" and as the years went by, I just kept finding new things to do. It took years and I spent more time on the build and not enough time driving my truck. Needless to say, I built it for two years and sold it to fund my business before I got a chance to enjoy it. Not this time :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Quick update on the passenger side flow. Getting there! Sorry for the crappy pics.

Attached Files:

• flow.jpg
      flow.jpg
      File size:
      387.3 KB
      Views:
    Richard Hartman likes this.
  11. looking really good

12. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

As luck would have it, I met a guy on Thursday that does soda blasting and said that when I bring my car by, he would do it on the cheap, so yeah- Blasting is after we get her welded up!!:)

13. powhatan42

powhatan42

I'm diggin it! N I C E :cool::cool::cool:

14. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Yes, yes, yes...last profile photo of the chop and stance is spot on!!! Treatment of the rear side windows and flow from roofline down onto trunk couldn't be nicer.

15. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

yeah, its turning out very nice indeed. I get to start on some more bodywork in the morning, will post pics of both sides. :) Thanks for the motivation!!

16. farmer12

farmer12

Yes! More pics! Love this build thread!

17. thinkfink

thinkfink

Great work and more pictures please.

18. pseudo121

pseudo121

Looking good.. this build seems to be moving fast... where are you located?

19. 50's dreams

50's dreams
    from colo spgs

That thing is bad, I love it, the chop flows so nice. Spot on man

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice work ! These 40-41 Plymouth coupes look so good chopped !

21. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

that is a super sweet car. love it.

22. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Working on it, did a bunch of little things the past two days, not many cool pics.

San Diego

Thanks alot!!!

I have to agree. I found this one here on the hamb and after seeing the potential in Eric's (Farmer12) I knew I had to build one. Done right, the stock lines are hard to beat!!

Thank you!! I have some cool stuff planned for the build!

The chop is coming along VERY nicely. The past two days have been spent finishing up the details, getting the flow just right and figuring out the drip rail situation. 1/4" Round bar has been added and smoothed to flow with the body lined of the car. I also got the firewall and dash smoothed, prepped and painted!!

Will be going with brown with gold micro flake for a final color. That bit is still a long ways off, but the dash sure looks sweet :D.

Thanks alot for the positive replies guys!!!!

Attached Files:

Richard Hartman likes this.
  23. pseudo121

pseudo121

24. Daddy-O

Daddy-O

Looks great. Drooling now. First the Ford, and now this! Great vision.

I want one!

25. 50bomb

50bomb
    from Lodi CA

Wow, haven't checked in on the build in awhile and damn you've been busy! I need to get in the shop n give my 41 some attention. Was scrathin' my head on chopping it?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  26. powhatan42

powhatan42

I like the dash, mine is welded in as well. It is nice to have a clean slate to start with. Keep up the great build!

27. kngfisher

kngfisher
    from Virginia

That dash looks nice. Mine was pretty hacked up when I got my Plymouth. I ha no choice buy to replace it with a wabbits dash.

Yours looks real nice. Great build thread

28. pseudo121

pseudo121

29. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Update time:
    The build slowed down quite a bit with some family time, heat wave and work. Ive been putting together loose ends in the garage at night when its cool, but the devil is in the details. Im bending fuel/brake lines, got my motor fitted nicely and FINALLY found the right pulleys for my motor.

Ill post some pics, but the big stuff is complete.

30. farmer12

farmer12

Love the new avatar! But we need pics.......