Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Iron duke Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CopperBandit, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Hey guys. Ive got an excellent running 85? chevy inline 4 (TBI) that Id love to use in a project. Only problem is the TBI is UGLY and theres alot of wiring. Any thoughts on cleaning it up/hiding the TBI to give it a more correct look? Thanks!

2. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm.... The "Iron Duke" is a Pontiac motor... ;)

3. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Didn't they put some in the early 80's Camaros?

4. Yup, I had a '82 Camaro with one in it. Just a little undersized, but it served me well.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Don't know!.. I lost interest in those when the '82's came out... Gag! :eek:

P.S. Sorry Brett!

6. You could put the wires inside some conduit/tubing so they look like piping I suppose. I didn't think the TBI unit was that cluttered, but I'm used to them on V8s.

7. Put a carb on it?

8. The easiest is to put a carb on it. You can get a distributer from an earlier model either points of electronic or you can get a mag for them as well.

Iron Duke was the generic name for a GM pushrod banger. They came in Chevies as well as Pontiacs.

Clay Belt likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! It came out '74 I think..:confused:
    To replace the oil burning aluminum 4 banger in the Vega.. :rolleyes:

10. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

It is a second generation of the Chevy II four cylinder, then Mercury Marine 4 cylinder. Basically an in line 6 minus two cylinders. They came in a lot of vehicles, but not the Vega. GM used to offer a Holley 2 bbl intake, although I think it was discontinued long ago. Good luck with your project!

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What's it look like now? MoPar had electronic fuel injection on some of its '58s (recalled and converted to 2x4), maybe that could be a route to follow if you want period inspiration.

-Dave

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

13. and a lot of mercruiser powered boats!

14. Pontiac used to carry alot of stuff for both the cast iron block and the Super Duty aluminum block. I'd check the GM Performance Parts site (or catalog) to see if they still have part #s.

Definitely carb it!

15. I had an Iron Duke 4 banger in a S-10..it was a 85 I believe....????... I ran the shit out of it...only could get 80 - 85 out of it..I drove it 200 miles a day for a summer job...sold it for more then I bought it for...super strong little engine motor..

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

im no chevy guy but yeah i believe the motor you posted is a different version of the early little chevy motor often mistaken and refered to as the iron duke , found in 60s chevy 2s and novas , boats , mail jeeps , and some forklifts ! i had on in my roadster pickup out of a 64 chevy 2 , neat little engine clifford makes intakes and headers for them , even ran em in minnie sprints, as stated though i believe the newer 80s engines are a different family and nothing in common

17. My sister had an '85 Camaro with the 4- had lean forward to get it up a hill :D

18. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Does your engine have a distributor? The Tech IV EFI engines I have seen had a crank triggered ignition. If you eliminate the EFI you will need to do something about the ignition.

As was said, at one time there was a lot of upgrade pieces available from GM for these engines. I have no idea what's currently available. Knowing what was once available might find you something to look for. There was even a laydown conversion for sprint car use.

The stock blocks are fine when used as intended. A stronger block with five cam bearings is needed for good durability and big power.

19. yep that is what I was thinking called an iron duke to try and rescue the car from its demise. That and the cosworth.

They were actually an upgrade from the banger in the box Nova from what I have read.

Al they still had a distributer in '88. At least the ones in the S-10s did.

20. Griznant

Griznant

I'm often wrong, but I'm pretty sure the early four-banger engines that were based on the straight six are not the Iron Duke. The Iron Duke was a 2.5L that came out in the late '70s in Monzas and stuff like that. Used in S-series, F-bodies, X cars, Fieros, etc. Not the same as the early '60s bangers.

bct and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  21. jipp

jipp

it seems the cheapest way to get any performance out of modern 4 bangers is to throw a turbo on it. with mild boost id think the stock guts would hold up. i like the idea of the gpg of the 4 banger, unfortunately you really need a banger hooked up to a stick ( my personal opinion) and i cant drive a stick. im thinking maybe a slant six would be a fun engine to explore for mpg/performance.. and they seem to go for dirt cheap.
    chris.

Clay Belt likes this.
  22. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

You sure that's not a quad4

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one n an '80 Monza. You could not kill it.

24. Whatever it is, its an inline 4 thats in a mid 80's S10. The truck has a 5 speed and its bagged. I dont have a title... bought it as a parts truck (someones unfinished project). Id like to scavenge whatever I can off it for a 31 model A build. Its a strong runner and with a little work I think it could make a decent looking, highway friendly powertrain.

sko_ford likes this.
  25. THats a nice idea... Ive seen it done, but didnt even think of it. Thanks!

26. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Thats the ticket! You can pick-up those boat parts cheep too.

27. gtkane

gtkane

You can make them look pretty good, and they are cheap!
    I have this rebuilt one taking up space in my shop, and I can't even give it away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sko_ford likes this.
  28. bobscogin

bobscogin

You're not wrong this time. The Iron Duke was designed by the Pontiac division. The 153 Chevy II engine and it's Mercruiser variants were based on the Chevy 6 architecture of the time. Not the same architecture as the Iron Duke.

Bob

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  29. Dapostman

Dapostman

Mounted a carb and mechanical distributor on an OT Dodge 2.2, when the brain took a dump. Made a bracket for the head and mounted it to the cam; kinda looks like a flattie. Much easier than fixing the bag o snakes.