Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1955 GMC project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Hydramatic, May 20, 2011.

1. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

We have brakes!! Rebuilt the master cyl, new shoes, springs, wheel cyl. 1st time the brakes have worked since 1981! Yea I know I have a pic of the rear brakes and then the front...they looked pretty much the same when I pulled them apart, all had a million spiders that went running everywhere when I pulled the drums off!

Attached Files:

2. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

3. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Sounds good ,at this rate it won't be long till you can put the body back on.

4. 56gmctruck

56gmctruck
    from Mass

I've got a '56 gmc that I'm trying to do the same thing with. How did you manage to get the cab off the frame? I managed to rip off the front bumper, fenders, engine, and tranny and I've been desperately trying to get that cab off. I've got everything unbolted, but can't lift the thing off for the life of me. It is a lot heavier than it looks.

Thanks,
    56gmctruck

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

My dad and I lifted my cab off, but I've also done it with our tractor. The best way is to probably 2 or 3 guys and just pick it up. Is all the glass and everything out if it? Stripping it bare makes it a little lighter but its still way heavy for one person to try and get off. Another thing I've seen guys do is use and engine hoist pick it off with that.

6. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Well I couldn't help myself....I got the exhaust all in place and tacked so I decided to drive the frame around!!! And do a burnout!!! Don't worry about the rear pipes I still need to cut them so they aren't hanging so low...will do that once the bed is on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf6M9W03iHE

7. Mart

Mart

I like the way it's coming together.

Mart.

8. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

The Jalopy......good thing this is only temporary. Got alot of weird looks from my neighbors when I drove it down the street, one even ran out to stop me so he could take some pictures.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  9. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Another one of them old trucks being saved.:D Good job.:cool:

10. sweet truck !!! more picks

11. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

So I cut the cab corner out today and was suprised to see this sitting there. I don't know how I missed it because I had felt around for anything down there, so it was a nice suprise

Attached Files:

12. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

13. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

14. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea...its kind of scary to drive like that....string on the throttle...seat bolted to plywood....but its fun!

15. haychrishay

haychrishay

Free .......man some guys haave all the luck. cool though ! There was a guy in north phoenix earlier in the year with a complete chrome front grille for 600 ! I looked at it when I was out there and it was nice. GMC radiator and supports are different, there is even a difference between 6cyl and v8 supports. the V8 supports are wider. when mine was wrecked I seemed to be able to find parts. Looks like you are coming along on it .

16. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Yea I had seen that, I think he was down to 400 by the end. Most of my grille is ok except for that center bar which is really beat up, so I need to find one. I hope to have it done for next years route 66 car show up here.

17. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got the new cab corners in.

Attached Files:

18. NITRO GARAGE

NITRO GARAGE

i have a 1955 GMC heater assembly . Blower blows hard, but don`t know if the core is any good. Its a stock 6 volt. Located in LAKE ELSINORE ,CA. NEWT [email protected]

19. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks but I found one already. I'm still looking for the center grille bar though, so if you know of one in decent shape let me know!

20. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Got all of the rust in the cab fixed. Getting closer to putting it back on!

Attached Files:

21. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Well I started stripping all of the old rubberized undercoating off the bottom of the cab....FUN job...not, should have it painted this week then I can put it back on! Should be a little safer to drive with the cab on instead of they way I'm driving it right now.

Attached Files:

22. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thought you guys may like to see this truck too. Years ago my old neighbors grandfather passed away so we went to Globe to get this old truck for her dad. It had sat in this garage for 21 years. When we opened the door it turned out to be a 56 Cameo with only like 60k original miles on it and had the original tires too. NO rust whatsoever and the interior looked like new! I wish I could have kept my hands on this one!!! But you can't have them all......:(

Attached Files:

23. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Was the underside of your GMC cab, painted red oxide, underneath the undercoat? Or was it body color? Or some other color?

Also, would you know what color the underside of the Cameo is? That is, if it wasn't undercoated. I'm slowly rebuilding my 55 Cameo, and do not know for sure what color the underside of the cab floor was originally. My truck was from Illinois, so it was just rust underneath.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

love the GMC - used to have a '56 with original Pontiac motor and 4 speed auto - saw one recently for $3,500 - hate being broke and can not impulse buy -

25. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

It was pretty much painted body color on the edges of the bottom and the middle was like that EDP coating stuff, but gray and all of it had undercoating on it. As for the cameo I'm guessing it would be pretty close to what my 55 had on it, I don't remember too well though because I was around 7 years old at the time we went and got it.

26. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks! Price was right on this one! hahaha I realized I was really lucky when I fired up the motor!

27. MrArt2u

MrArt2u

That burnout in your garage video was pretty awesome. And I'm guessing that was your parents helping you out and holding the camera. Man, that's one cool family...

And very cool build too.

Art.

28. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Thanks Art. I have one cool dad to let me take over his shop....again...to restore another truck. This one is much more fun though because unlike my first truck I know what I doing now thanks to him!

29. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Well now your right tire has 2 inches less tread on it, than your left one. LOL