Register now to get rid of these ads!

There's a new name going on the Yay-Hoo Cup!

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by buzzard, Aug 6, 2011.

1. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Will it be your name that goes on the not-so-sacred Yay-Hoo Cup?

As you've probably seen on SportsCenter, Fox News, or read in the Ladies Home Journal, Jeff Yocum (Flamedabone) is not driving his fire-breathing beast of a blown Pontiac powered Model A to the Hamb Drags this year.
    I haven't seen an official comment as to why, but we think he deserves
    a year off from the 1300 mile trip to whup everyones butt. That does leave the competition for the Yay-Hoo Cup wide open to all comers.

This is the year that anything can happen and anybody could have a shot
    at taking home the title. You just have to have the guts to drive your jalopy from home to Mokan in the 100+* blistering summer and run 'er down the track faster than any of the Cup contenders.

Pull that off and you'll get:
    1) a bitchin' timing tag to put on your dash or firewall
    2) your name forever enshrined on the Yay-Hoo Cup
    3) an ice cold Shiner Bock to drink from of the Cup
    4) the admiration and reverence of hot rodders for generations to come

As always, the Yay-Hoos want as many competitors as possible to take part in this year's race. Slow, quick, or in-between; if you drove it from your hometown to race, we want your name on our list. Come see us at Hoo-Ville just past the bleachers on the pit side. It's the blue pop-up with the Yay-Hoo banner and a bunch of Yay-Hoos lounging around.

Here's the fine print. The Yay-Hoos have final say and decisions on how the Cup is awarded. You must live and drive at least 150 miles from Joplin. No trailering to 150 miles out and driving from there. You must be signed up on the the list to be eligible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. senior fried

senior fried

Hey All You Yay-Hoos, I still think this is one of the coolest things out there in traditional drag racing today ! Although I will not be able to compete this year, I will most definitely be wanting to race for the cup next year ! Thanks for all you DO !

3. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

I`d love to try it but I`ve still got the 4:56 gear on a full spool. I plan to change the gear for a 3:73 posi unit when I get back home from joplin. Maybe next year.

Tom T

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will be there in person, just not with the car...I'll be more than willing to give a hand to anyone who drove their pile who wants to take a shot at the title.

There are three guys I know that can make it reeeal interesting this year....maybe even one can break my record....but it's easier said than done..

See you in two weeks, -Abone.

P.S. No matter who wins it this year, I want them to know...I have had my LIPS on that trophy...

5. jho

jho
    from Omaha

The Obama and I will be down from Omaha. Oh the Obama is my black 63 Galaxie Im gonna try for the 13s this year in the 4000 pound pig

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

Thanks, Dennis, for the kind words and for all the support you guys give to the silly shit we come up with.

Seriously, we're bummed to hear you won't be competing... I think we all sorta envision your name getting added to The Cup sooner or later (preferably sooner)!!

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

Cool.

Gross.

8. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff so you gonna tell the rest of us who you think could take it ? Since you can't talk any real smack this year, you could maybe stir the pot a little right ? Oh and by the way you still have the respect of everyone I know for driving my second favorite A sedan from BFE S.C. and doing what you do for so long, you sir have HUEVOS a plenty!!

Lumpy

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Lumpy, I'm not gonna spill it, but I will say that you need to get out to your local track and practice your launches........

Save me a beer, -Abone.

10. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Hows about:

Tudor Josh?!

Dirty John?!

USMC50lx?!

Anyone else?

Stand up Fuckers!

11. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Maybe 8th grade genius will whip up some sick shit overnight (just like Krass & Bernie!)

Show everyone how it's done.

Mike?

12. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell I could work on my launches for a year and never get close. My A is slooow compared to alot of the hardcore drivers that are at the H.A.M.B. Drags. That's why this is the best event of the year ! Alright let's hear from some of you guy's who are going for it.

Lumpy

13. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Awwwwww shucks man I'm blushing...LOL! I tell you what though Big D...I was VERY serious about coming up this year and having myself a nice cold Shiner! Honestly too serious and so now the T is a dedicated race car. It's just too impractical for that kinda trip now. Can't wait to spill the beans to you good folk, but it's not quite finished yet. Oh,...and my money is on Paul (USMC50lx) taking this one down! Sic 'em Stroker!!!

14. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Ahh man maybe next year D.W. and John, I will be there wringing the hell out of it but its an untested combo so its arriving on a stretcher! 5 hours from home waiting on a ride SUCKS!!!! lol but thanks for the vote of confidence!

15. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

And Jeff that trek of yours beats my puny drive anyday even if it was in a new Cadillac....

16. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My whole trip ends up being right at 3000 miles and 44 hours all together. Every year I look back and realize it is more stupidity on my part than manlyness....

But, it doesn't really matter as long as you get your rod out and play with it. 5 hours or 15 minutes.

Have you had yours at the track yet or is Jolplin gonna be your first pass with that set up?

I'm looking forward to seeing you make a pass. What do you think she is going to run??

-Abone.

17. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I'm aiming for high 10's, whether she goes it or not is the question! She's been tested on the street but Joplin will be the first pass with all the changes but I'm out for fun and a good wheelie photo on a 13 sec. pass would still make my weekend

18. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I'm driving my Jalopy down this year, already been to Bowling Green Ky, Rust Revival, Meltdown Drags in Byron and a few others. Coming from just south of Saint Louis I only have about 300-ish miles to drive. But me, usmc50lx, Monsterflake and a few others are going to drive a bunch of old 66 on the way, so I get to count those miles right?

19. BLAKE

BLAKE

As long as you drive yer jalopy to the event, and as long as that drive is at least 150 miles, length-wise, you are eligible to compete for The Cup.

In the several years we have been awarding The Cup, we've never had anyone try to game the system by lying about the length of their drive, trailering part of the way, etc... All the competitors have been really supportive of the 'spirit' of the deal.

HAMBers are cool like that. :D

20. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

it sure sounds tempting....300 miles seems a long way on 4:11's.

21. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Not sure what rearend you have in your coupe, but there's no rule against swapping gears in the parking lot of the hotel. If you have a 9", you just need to find a chunk with highway gears.

22. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I wonder if anybody'd think I'd flipped if I went to Joplin via Omaha?

That would be a long drive!

23. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Do it Reggie! You could take this thing!

Give em HELL Mr.Wishbone.

24. ryno

ryno

ive got a lift and your more then welcome to swap them out sat am during my open house deal if you'd like? swap them back to hwy mode on Sunday am?

why isn't the worlds fastest yay-hoo DRIVING his car up? paging D.W. mr D.W. your trophy is ready.
    i understand its your club and all, but really how could one argue the fact if you drove your car and won?

25. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

ya ...d.w. are you driving yours up? i wouldn't have a chance if you are....but it would be fun trying!

why isn't the worlds fastest yay-hoo DRIVING his car up? paging D.W. mr D.W. your trophy is ready.
    i understand its your club and all, but really how could one argue the fact if you drove your car and won?[/QUOTE]

26. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

it's a 12 bolt. if it was a 9 inch i would have driven it a long time ago, thanks for the offer ryno

27. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Dang ol' stupid 12 bolt.

28. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

yap...i just went to the tire store to try and find some taller tires. kinda working that direction maybe some 16" wheels and a real tall tire.

29. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Whats keeping me? Nothing but excusses really.

I've yet to make the committment to putting a rearend that will take the abuse (after having roached the last one). Too busy enjoying it on the street. I also want to tinker with an adjustable drag clutch before I race it again. All just time & money really.

Having a hot rod HOT enough that it has an identity crisis (am I a race car or a street car) is tough (and stupid maybe?) but thats what the Yay-hoo cup is about for me. I'm just not ready yet....

30. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

my 2 boys just asked me if i drive the coupe how will they get there....i said duct tape!