Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Ford Truck 1-ton 4x4.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Black Label, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Black Label

Black Label

This is for a friend of mine that i owe a favor or three to. its claimed to be a 1936 but when i had it at the gas station an old man said it was a 1935. i personally dont know the difference so for now this will be a 36.
    You'll have to excuse the poo pictures for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i love pin striping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will be a slow build so stay tuned.

2. Where are the hood side panels? '35 had Ford logo in center, '36 were at front.

3. Its a 35 cab.

4. Yep, its a 35. The 36 has a smooth transition between the A pillar and the cowl whereas the 35 (like this one) does not transition smoothly into the cowl.

5. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Guessing the buggy build wont go over to well.... but I dig it.

6. Black Label

Black Label

well it wont exactly be a buggy. thats just a chassis i have laying around. im going for a stock...ish appearance

7. Being an X-wheeler... I'm here to see this.

oh, wait while I grab some..
    [​IMG]

8. Black Label

Black Label

i havent been 100% decided how i was going to build this thing but i ended up cutting and bending some material to use as a sub frame/crossmember/link mounts/skid plate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

10. Black Label

Black Label

still havent fully decided how ill make the chassis. i know it will be a traditional ladder frame but i dont know if i should use round or rectangle tube. if i go round tube i plan to double stack it. im leaning towards 2.5x5x.120" rectangle tube. what do you think?

11. 35-FORD-NH

35-FORD-NH
    from Swanzey,NH

There's my truck. Took forever to find the thread.
    I got your message. You can use this now that I found it, either way works. Looks good so far.
    It is a 35, the owner before me had it striped and 36ed before he actually knew and found out when he registered in CT so it stayed. I'll see if I can find any pics before I tore it apart.
    Some may get a little upset when you find out that it was already a pretty sweet rod. When I bought it, it was a halfas_ed driver, I ran it for 2 years. Mostly original truck, Flathead V8, trany, frame, even the good ol mechanical breaks, cab, hood & sides. The last guy had to make the bed, seat, and find a grill.

12. 35-FORD-NH

35-FORD-NH
    from Swanzey,NH

Rectangle is fine with me.

13. Black Label

Black Label

im really leaning towards the rectangle frame rails. that just means i need to make a set of dies to bend it. i dont want to cut and notch them together like most. i have almost all of the suspension brackets designed and ill post pictures as soon as i get them cut/bent

14. modeleh

modeleh

Darn. I was hoping this thread was about a Marmon Herrington. :mad:

15. Black Label

Black Label

that would be too cool!!! more of a modern marmon herrington on this one

16. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Am I the only one who thinks this build doesn't belong on the HAMB? WTF?

17. Black Label

Black Label

would it be as inappropriate if it actually was a marmon herrington?

18. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Is it a real Marmon Herrington? No.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Am i the only one that says it'd be interesting to build this 4x4 with a flattie and some 1940's tractor tires??

20. Sucks ass. If you are going to use it off, road why tear up a nice old cab, slap a late model cab on there. If you aren't going to use it off road, what's the fucking point?

21. What is a Marmon Herrington?

22. Diavolo

Diavolo

So far? Yes.

I, for one, would like to see if it's done in a tasteful manner. I am currently turning my 55 F600 into a 1 ton 4X4 dually. It isn't going to be lifted and is being purpose built to be a tow rig for a toy hauler so I can get even more fun out of it. Where I live, I can't imagine not having 4 wheel drive in at least one vehicle.

Also, I plan on pulling a boat with it from time to time and I would like the assurance that 4x4 has in getting the thing out of the water without everything going the other way and ending up underwater.

Lastly, a solid Dana 60 is so easy to get the steering and suspension figured out. I really don't even have to hook up the front drive shaft. Considering I am running on widowmakers now, I am really happy to have good brakes, good wheels and 4x4 capability.

23. I'm with ya. It should be a gasser like all the others! I'd turn my Riviera into a gasser, but it only weighs four thousand pounds, it would be way too fast!

24. 35-FORD-NH

35-FORD-NH
    from Swanzey,NH

Sounds good man. Your Site looks good, same but differant.
    Thinking of bumpers for the new rig before winter. Will hit you through your site when I am ready, probally early Oct.

25. 35-FORD-NH

35-FORD-NH
    from Swanzey,NH

WWWAAAHHH Just be glad I am giving this 1935 Henery Ford Steel Truck Cab its due respect and running it as high as I can on 4 rubber pedistals.

26. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Go post on a 4x4 forum then. This place is for HOT RODS AND CUSTOMS. Not 4x4 Rock Crawlers with old sheetmetal. We do like clean old 4x4's and the occaisional OT build thread shows up but they rarely survive. This one won't last long. Good luck with the build. It will probably be a nice setup, but just not appreciated here. It would be like some guy posting on a rock crawler forum that hes going to take a clean FJ40 and bag it on 22's and put a Supra motor in it...the guys on the rock crawler forum won't appreciate it...well nobody would really appreciate that. Anyway, BYE.

27. 52pig

52pig

What happened to hot rods and customs any way? Is the fad dead?
    We all jackin' stuff up now-a-days!

28. 35-FORD-NH

35-FORD-NH
    from Swanzey,NH

Because I can. And yes it will be a multi-purpose vehical that will be used as it should be. ONROAD to get OFFROAD.
    Your just a winy bitch, uh?

29. No you're not. But we're both rom Washington.....and there is something in the water. ;)

4x4 does not mean it's going to be a rock crawler. Around here we need a 4x4 for snow. I couldn't even get onto my property in the winter with out it.