Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevy with Camaro engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Treevorr, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Treevorr

Treevorr

Hey, I'm new to this site, but I've spent hours reading random stuff when I started looking for a classic car, and decided this is the place to ask questions. I finally found The One, a 1950 two door Chevy Fleetline with an unknown year Camaro engine and transmission. I'm completely car-tarded, and I'm wondering where I should start. The engine runs decently, but the fuel tank and radiator are full of sediment. The trunk doesn't really open. There is some rust on the block itself. The carburetor looks kinda shady. Obviously, either I'd need to be more knowledgeable about cars or someone would actually have to see it to give any major input, but I figured somebody somewhere could help. Thanks much

2. indyjps

indyjps

go to the intro page and do one.

have you purchased this car or just looking at it. Camaro engine doesnt matter, its just a small block chevy. pics might help.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Read This First! then do an intro, fill out your profile, then find some of the Charleston guys like flamedabone and see of you can hang out with them, maybe just maybe they'll look at it and tell you yay or nay...

4. Treevorr

Treevorr

Intro done.
    I just bought it today. I'm gonna try to get the wife to take some pictures. I'm able to run a submarine engine but I'm hopeless around electronics...

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Like I said lookup flamedabone and check out the south carolina hambers social group. There are some real good guys in your neighborhood, buy them a few beers and bet you can get some help from them.

6. Treevorr

Treevorr

Got some pictures taken. The car takes up literally all the space in the garage, so the shots aren't the best. I'll get better ones when it isn't raining out.

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that the one that was parked in the old NAPA parkinglot??

Welcome to the hood. Holler if you need anything.

-Abone.

8. Treevorr

Treevorr

The very same. Thanks for the welcome. I hit up the lowcountry group as well.

9. F&J

F&J

It looks like they were not running antifreeze, just plain water, that turned rusty color.

I'd start with removing the thermostat, then put the housing back on, so you can flush the cooling system out. Just keep a constant flow of water into the filler, with the radiator drain open. With no thermostat, it will keep circulating real good, and finally run clear. Then put a new thermostat in, with new antifreeze.

If the tank is full of rust, I would see if there is a new repro tank available. It would pay off in the ong run.

10. Treevorr

Treevorr

The water is a lovely shade of poop brown; I'm guessing it'll need a new tank.

11. 50styleline

50styleline

Your ride would look much better without those unsightly fender skirts! You should pack em up and send them straight to me.(LOL) Nice score, and by the the way this site is the best place for advice and how to info. Good Luck

12. koolkat269

koolkat269

WOW thats a kool ride.

13. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

From the distant pic it appears that your carb is a rochester 2GC....good carb (if it is that) fairly idiot proof and parts are readily available.

scince your "car-tarded" I"ll bring this up, get rid of the glass fuel filter or secure it down exceptionally good....glass breaks and the exhaust manafold is pretty close....your a sub driver you can figure out what could happen....that said start small, clean the engine compartment up, straighten out the wires, re-route for optimum functionality as well as looks, clean up all the errant crapola layin all over the place and giver the ol' once over with a fine tooth comb cleaning stuff up and straightening things out as you go....

Looks as if you have a very solid base to start with! (Sweet body style!)

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sheesh, back when I was car-tarded, I had to start out with junk.

Some people have all the luck. Nice lookin' ride.

15. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

Good advice, I know some people whos 59 el camino burst into flame after it was finished for only a week. Luckily they got the fire out before it engulfed the whole car and their shop. apparently the glass filter housing broke.

Nice find by the way.

16. 37gmc

37gmc
    from upstate ny

looks like it has camaro sub frame also .nice ride, make think ishould start on mine