Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. No the valve covers are big block. You need an adaptor. Fellow hamber dirtbag13 makes them. Waiting for my call from him to get mine.

2. I don't work much in the summer but had to get this done before winter. I got the body off and going in a porty garage for now so i can do the fun stuff. Frame and suspention before winter.

Attached Files:

3. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Looking good. Solid progress! What are your plans for the rocker panels? In one of the pics they look shot. Are you gonna splash and get the EMS full rockers or go with a patch repair? Looks like youve got the skills for the repair.
    Andy.

4. Plan is EMS for sure for rockers. Also need the mid floor body mounts and i think i'll get a back panel as well.

5. Good night to play since it is raining. Made a trans mount. Sometimes one just has to get lucky. It happens that the original flatty mount just needed to be turned around and fits perfect using the original holes.All i had to do is narrow the 'u' clamp 1/2 inch and drill the 'u' clamp holes to 7/16. Bolted it right up. Rubber isolated and center. I like it.:)

Attached Files:

6. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

you mentioned a rack and pinion set up earlier do you have any pics? that looks like an h pipe for a 5.0 did it fit right under the floor? thanks nice progress

7. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

and what master/booster combo is that?

8. farmer12

farmer12

This is a great build, keep up the good work!

9. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

WOW! Awesome.

10. Yes i used a rack from a caviler. I'll post some pics of the install before i put the body back on. I realise i've lost some turn radius but my rpu isn't that great either, but very managable. It will be far better than the sloppy old manual steering box. Right now i'm dialing in the racks steering 'u' joint shaft to the 5 liter headers . Stock cast manifolds would have givin me lots of room but i like the headers.
    The exhaust pipes are off the shelf 5 litre but aftermarket. Fit is near perfect.

11. I'm not sure what the booster is off of. A friend of mine gave it to me. It's small and only a single diafram unit. Should be a nice little assist with the long pedal from a early sixtys gm truck. Made the firewall bracket, swing pedal bracket myself. Bracket ties the firewall and dash together with a 6 inch or so square plate on the inside of the firewall to rid of any flex in the pedal. The master in the pic is 80's corvette for 4 wheel disc brakes but will be changing that in favor of a disc drum master later.

12. I took a few pics tonite but it's hard to make things out as the engine is in the road and my crappy camera is going south. But maybe you can see abit in mock up form.
    I'm holding up in near position the universal steering shaft of the rack to column. It's the stock cavy unit and trying to make it work since i'm a cheap bastard. Kinda big thou, but it' way down under and can't see it that well anyway. May have to shorten it a few inches in the end but don't know till i get body and column back in.
    I also notched the front x member and boxed it for the front sump oil pan. I chose this route for clearance for the rack which worked out real slick.

Attached Files:

13. Got alittle done on the chassis. Cut the coils 1-1/2 in, hope it's ok. Rack is basicly done, just have to button things up. Homemade motor mounts using orignal flatty type isolators, notpictured here. A arms rebuilt with nos parts.
    The rear shock x member installed. Well it turned out to be a bust and a waste of time. Forgot to take the floorpan into consideration. DUAH ~%$^&!!!!
    I went with the front sump oil pan so i'd have lots of clearance for the rack n pinion, so a box was welded in the front xmember. Easy task.
    I had some NOS front shocks that i bought back from Ford in the early seventys. Hydrolics, but they will do for now. Iwas building a 50 2 dr back then with a 390 4 spd from a cylone. Bitch realy hopped but never finished it.
    Found a original ford handbook to in magazine box. It was from a 50 woody i had 25 yrs ago.

Attached Files:

14. A few more pics

Attached Files:

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

16. r0yal

r0yal
    from winnipeg

geez ted, you are just non-stop with the projects! I really dig shoebox's, and yours is coming along nicely.
    I wish I had the time/skills you and kev have, maybe then, my bike would finally be done and I could start on my 58 :p

17. It's a grind sometimes. Almost manic sometimes. Getting motivated is the key. Talent? Hell, one picks up skills in the garage thru the years. Lots of mistakes and remakes is what gets ya there.

More pics comming soon

18. After a bit of thinking what to do with the rear shocks, i decided to relocate them abit since the factory position was just plain stupid. So a few things. I flipped the axle plates from side to side with the shock stud now facing up. Reason? The shocks where below the scrub line with 3 inch lowering blocks. Flipping them makes them still fairly border line but much better. Still have to trim the U bolts as they hang too low as well.
    I moved the upper shock bolts approx 4 1/2 back from stock using the same technic ford did with the steel sleeve in the frame. I still have to do the left side but you get the idea from the pics. Makes a big difference in shock angle. Maybe not ideal but better. Left side is going to require moving a few things around but no big deal.
    The shocks i'm using are monroe max air. Went with air so i could bump up the rear a little if i had a load.

Attached Files:

19. Did the other side today. Had to relocate the brake line bracket but no biggy. Just another step forward.

Attached Files:

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Like I said in your other thread , it looks like a much better angle now .

21. A few minor updates. Got some paint under the floor and rocker mocked up. I'm not welding the rockers on till the body is bolted back on the frame. Rockers are EMS and heavy good quality. The curve in the rocker to door edge is right on the money. The front edge to fender is way out thou. Will have to modify them or i'll have a 1/2 fender gap at the bottom. But all in all, it's all good. The inners from EMS are not worth the money. They come bent in a ' u' channel and had to flatten on side so they could be installed in the floor pinch weld like the factory did. I have no idea why they would bend them like that. But i made the work in the end.
    Also installing the mid floor braces from EMS. They also look great but we'll see. I think i'm going to bolt the to the frame first and lower the body on them to insure a correct fit and then weld them in. Like any part aftermarket you can expect some mods.

Attached Files:

22. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Looks good Tedley.

23. I got the body resting on the frame finally with the help of a fellow Hamber. Waiting for this day for along time. Now to shim the body so the doors close again,

Attached Files:

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

25. I think i'm going to be ok with the steering column and rack hook up. It's close to the headers which was my concern but i think i can make it work with a bit of juggling to get more clearance. The stock cavalier 'u' joint shaft, shortened slightly, comes with a vibration dampner and thought it might be to fat at the headers. I can change it to a smaller one if i have to for more clearance

Attached Files:

26. Body bolted back on the frame with the doors closing again, Some shimming required to get the doors working. I also have the rockers buttoned up as the mid floor braces. Sure glad i waited till the body was bolted up first before the rockers and mid body floor brace was welded in. Those EMS panels are heavily made and the result is solid as a rock

Attached Files:

27. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

still loooking good.
    makes me want to go out and work on mine.
    keep um coming!

28. 302/C4, didn't have to alter the tranny tunnel? I am getting mixed messages about that. Gonna be doing the same setup myself.

29. Looking great by the way. Can't wait to see more.

30. The tunnel for the c-4 trans is tight in my build. I think i'm going to give a bit more room. It's not difficult just more work.
    My buddy is putting a 302 ho w/overdrive and says he needs more room as well. He used the jamco kit, i made my own.

Attached Files: