Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh, is that so!

:D

2. carnut341

carnut341

3. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

"Like new" it reminds me of a valley girl... "OMG, it's like new and stuff..."

4. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

Here in the Louisville area there have been a couple of craigs list ads stating "ready for the street rod nationals". This was on a '79 Ford P.U. rust included.

5. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

How are we to reconcile a definition of engine as NOT a motor when Many, MANY years ago there was Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Harley Davidson Motorcycles ? Indianapolis Motor Speedway Company officially formed March 20, 1909.

respectfully,

Dan T

6. It is a Traditional build. B.S.

7. How many times have you seen an ad selling a "rag top" and they spell it "convertable".......dummies

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

There, I fixed that for you. Let's add "it was tore" to the list :)

9. Somebody decided that there was a difference between an engine and a motor. I really don't see a big deal calling an engine a motor as pointed out above, way back they called them motors. What about motor oil, motor way, motor cars. "BMW" Barvarian motor works, "AMC" American motor company, "PMD" Pontiac Motor division. Seems like all the corporations called them motors but the auto shop school teachers told us different. I heard the same thing over and over again in school. A motor is electric and an engine is gas. I'm starting to follow the manufacturers of engines and am going to start calling them the correct term. MOTOR!!!!!! LOL!! Steppenwolf sung, "Get your motor running, head on down the highway".
    It's one of those things that will never change. Potato, Potaato.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

But if I ever hear some body say "That freight train had 5 motors pulling it." I'm going to punch him in the mouth. And they have both.

11. All starting with the steam engines.

12. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

There's two many out of place apostrophes............."lot's of new part's" "50,000 mile's" I've even seen this error in newspapers as of late...What happened to English?..I'm most likely younger than most newpaper editors. (Er....uh, editor's?) never went to college, and graduated high school in OKLAHOMA! and even I can tell the difference between plural and possesive.

13. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

It will be worth a lot once it is restored.

So go ahead and restore it and call me when you are done.

14. Yeah, it's funny, you'd think some people never went to jr. high school. If millions of people are going to read it on the internet, make an effort. But then, once in a while, some mechanical genius with shit for grammar skills puts out some gold for us with pictures to go along with it, and I am truly humbled and shut my mouth(keyboard). Some truly talent folks were just flat deprived of a decent education, but make up for it with a hammer and dolly. So I try to watch it before I start cracking wise just because the poster doesn't have the literary skills of Truman Capote; he may have the fab skills of Gene Winfield(maybe).

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Bayerische Motoren Werke.

As far as I know, there is no seperate word for engine in German.

"Electromotor" for electrics.

"Otto Motor" for 4 stroke gas engines

or "Verbrennungsmotor"

16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Otherwise known as locomotives......

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My spell check wants to put apostrophe's on anything that ends with an "S". Otherwise I might never use one. See above. Spell check did that.

18. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

"All it needs to get it running is" and I have it but just haven't had the time to install it..........Well find the time and show me thats really all it needs.

"Super nice '64 Rambler clock for sale" haven't tested it but should be fine....:eek:

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Do you think you might be reading a bit too much into a simple spelling error ?

20. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Oh man you made a mistake . You should have asked " What is a fog horn made of ?" Not OUT of. What the hell does "made OUT of " mean? I guess none of us are perfect.

21. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

RAT ROD starting to annoy me !

22. Very nice Richard well "Put" :D

23. 55chevr

55chevr

Not car related ... the use of podium for lectern ... You stand behind a lectern and you stand on a podium ... Lectern is a reading stand / podium is a platform

24. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

25. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I watch Conan too! ;)

One that gets me is "setting" instead of "sitting" as in "The car is setting on blocks" correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that supposed to be "Sitting" and not a table "setting"?

26. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I never have figured out the term "dog house" some use it to describe a front clip and others use it to describe the shell from the firewall back. I'm almost in Kentucky so maybe that has something to do with it. Another one I hate, "No Title but shouldn't be a problem getting one". After giving up a Triumph motorcycle swap meet buy with bill of sale only I don't touch anything without a title.

27. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I work at a college in maintenance and often get work orders to repair (weld) "podiums". It comes from a secratary that most likely has a degree in whatever.

I have never ever recieved a work order to repair a lectern. Thank you for the lesson. I myself called em podiums.

28. Nothing annoys me more than someone saying "restored" but the car's actually been modified from original-built condition. You know, "'55 Chevy, full restoration with LT-1 and blower, crushed velvet bucket seats, Boyd's 22" wheels," ad nauseum.

29. indianhead74

indianhead74

All Highway miles, Really?

30. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I like how you changed my name to Irony, I also noticed how I was complaining about a gramatical error when I made my own........I don't expect a car guy to be an English major or spell, or even be able to read. It comes with the territory. If you have chosen to make a career out of hand fabricating things you don't have to know or really even care about punctuation. But, if you're a newspaper editor you should.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.