Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy P/U Daily Driver Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Mar 15, 2011.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just getting caught up! Looks great man!

What 3M compound are you using?

2. cwayne

cwayne

Eric, don't tease me if she would look good on a back of a bike or in the '54 then we need to see...

Trucks coming along nice but that front sheet metal will drive you nuts if you let it..

3. That's beautiful! Great color, and slick as a button. What kind of paint gear are you using? What type gun, etc.? Thanks for the info!

4. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hahaha, Well iim back at it today Jim, getting front end straight and glass in...then messing with the vent glass rubbber seals:confused:

Thanx Scoot, its the Perfect-it Compound 06085 and the Perfect-it machine polish 06064...great stuff!

Actually Lango Im using a couple different guns, all from either Home Depot, Lowes or Harbor Freight....The H/F guns are the cheapest and seamed to work the best!

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

:D

Hhahaha, Wayne I may need you to head back down here and line it all up for me, Ill see by this afternoon!:eek:

Ok you asked buddy, heres why I took 6 days off...Laura flew in from Maine to experiance SoCal other then just normal business trips! Thur-Hollywood, Fri-took 54 out for local cruising then OC Fair, Sat-Donut D then US Open in HB, Sun-Disney/Cal ADventure Park, Mon-Laguna bch to Malibu on my Police Bike and yesterday Newport Bch allday then LAX!! I need a day off now!:D

Laura in my 54...
    [​IMG]

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great addition to any car.

7. oldman2

oldman2

No wonder you put us on hold, I would have too:):):cool:...Jim

8. ...need more pics!!....lol

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hahah....Thanx guys, I owed that to Wayne for giving up and letting me use the color of the Burb he did! The break was well needed too btw!

So I messed with glass all afternoon, Ive roped in glass many times before and this front glass iss fighting me bigtime...anyone have any slick ideas on the best way to install the front glass so I dont keep breaking them! Yup...off to the Orange Truck Shop in the morn...good thing there only 38 bucks!

10. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Broke glass myself with a hand slap trying to move the glass

Second attempt I used lots of lube, Glass cleaner as lube sprayed the gasket and the frame.

Used some cheap HF suction cups to help position the glass.

The back may be more of a challenge because of the lock bead

your truck looks great

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  11. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Hey bud if you need an extra set of hands let me know . It looks like it was six days well spent !

12. Colinm

Colinm

With my old vw bus rubber I ended up soaking the rubber overnight in water and soap to loosen it up and made it more pliable against the glass and allowed me to use thicker cable on the inside to pull on. Seemed to work on even the thinnest of glass

Hope that helps

Colin

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Front glass is in and now onto the awful split rubber seals with the locking strips for the rear three pieces of glass.....I Cant believe what a pain this glass install is, Ive never had this many problems before!

14. Awesome build! very fast too! :D cant wait to see it done

also your 54 is my dream car (as you can see from my avatar)

15. Awesome build. You make it look easy. When you finish yours, want to complete mine for me? Its only been torn apart for 14 years now. :eek: And I told my parents it would be done in 2 years(that was '97). Haha. My dad still threatens me now and again to pick it up from his house or the scrap man comes by on Thursdays and he will push it out into the alley.

16. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx man, very cool! Glad to inspire:cool:

Hah,, your lucky it stayed this long...Get to working on it man! Theres enough room for 2 in Costa Mesa!:D

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Heres the progress with the glass...damn it was not as fun as I wanted it to be!

These locking strips got eaier by the 3rd rear glass...but still pretty much sucked...
    [​IMG]

Back glass done
    [​IMG]

The final glass complete! The corners did not fight me as much as I thought they were going to
    [​IMG]

Front glass was tough by myself but I got it!
    [​IMG]

18. D-man313

D-man313

Wow looks really good, got my glass in this weekend to, and bolted doors and front end on. So that completes mine for now, im not body working my bed right away, i want to drive it while working on my bed.

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

first drive must be close!

20. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Nice work D! I pulled my doors back off so I had more room to install all the interior items and wiring. This glass taking so long I feel like ive wated a week!:eek:

Its getting close! Im going to finish up the exhaust today and get the rest of steering an drive line wrapped up too.

21. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Great job Eric, looking forward to seeing it in person.

22. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Great job! Not a common color, but darn does it look good! Very nice!

23. oldman2

oldman2

All the glass looks great, nice job......Jim

24. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thank Rick, I cant wait to bring it to breakfast....that means its done!:D

Im stoked about the color, your rite you dont see alot of it around, plus it wont show the road grime so much!

Thanx Jim...it took everything I had to get it done...at one point I thought about hiring it out:rolleyes:! I couldnt let it get the best of me tho!

25. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Congrats Eric. Looks great. Good job on the glass.

26. You know I'm just a pm away..........and 1/2 way there from work. :D

27. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

Eric, you should go on a 2 month vacation when you finish the truck. I'll make sure she get's 3 hots and a cot. ;)

28. cwayne

cwayne

Eric thanks for the shot of the East Coast Babe.. And i thought you told me you were going back home to visit family!! Sure...

The truck is coming along great even if the glass did kick you butt.. can't wait for some full side and 3/4 shots to get the full view...

Do you have any shots of the dash that Philly striped up?

29. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hey Dan i may need a little Edlebrock carb teardown help if you have time...carbs scare me:eek:

Hey thirdstreet....Sounds good except ive been on a long ass vaca since ive moved to Cali...I need to start work instead!:rolleyes:

Hahaha, Yes Wayne I am going to see fam n friends (maybe Laura too while Im there). The glass did suck but the alignment of the nose is just as tough, Im going to have Dante (Lowsprings) come help me out. He works for Hot Rods N Hobbies and knows alot more then me!

As far as the pics ill get em loaded as soon as I can move the truck..limited now with it being stuffed in the back corner of my yard! The pinstriping is very cool but lite so its hard to get a shot, ill keep tryn!

30. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So I didnt want to spend the doe on having someone bend up a new system and I didnt really want to buy all of it as I had the old exhaust still. The prob with it was it dropped down to far and went under the trans crossmember. Also due to the new fuel tank out back and lowered leafs I was going to have to stop at the rear end anyhow. So I cut up the old exhaust and made it run over the crossmember and welded everything up. I stopped at the mufflers and when its on the road ill run it down and have the muffler shop bend up two tail pipes for me..much cheaper!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a shot Wayne asked for of the pinstrip Philly The Greek did....I wanted something very suttle and Phill came up with the perfect shade except when the glare is on it it doesnt show in the pics..sorry theses are the best I could get!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]