Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remembering the Roach Rod...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy

I was young gun #11. I still have my ugly speedway jacket!

2. Yeah but does it fit!?

3. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Those were good times.
    The SAM-O-RAM thread was alot of fun,
    I remember photoshopping a super tall triple manifold after Harlans post went haywire.

This was around the time I found the HAMB,
    while building my RPU I didn't really know what I was doing.
    Watching the ROACH, clarks RPU and some others,
    it was really good to watch others out there getting shit done too,
    and kinda experimenting with ideas, apart from Mike's book which had just came out.
    (at the time i was crazy obsessed with building,
    so it was kinda relieving to know I wasn't the only one!)

Hey Elpolacko, we were just talking about a car I get melancholy over!
    However I got a price that was able to drown the melancholy out,
    hopefully Sam did too!

TP

4. Right on brutha!

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

Yes! I still wear it, usually to work and not out in public. My co-workers like to make fun of it. I just wear it to poke fun at another co-worker that wears gaudy things.

As fat as I have become, I still have not surpassed the stretch of an XL shirt.

I wish I knew fancy words like "cromulent". ha ha

6. Blast from the past:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43129

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cromulent, Knowing you you I should have expected a Simpsons reference when you hit me with that this afternoon... Did I look confused!?

Ya want a good quote? "The damn thing is computalating too damn slow" Earlly on squidbillys last night... My damn spell check just lost it's mind!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  8. I hope you guys realize Jim's heart is always in the right place...

He has direct and indirect insight into the ongoing saga of the Roach Rod.

The guy who owns the body knows I want it back, and has said he'll give me first right of refusal if he decides to sell it.

I don't know that he knows how badly I'd like it back. I think about that car all the time.

It's just all the memories and fun I had along with the potential to have more fun with it that I desire.

That, and a couple of years ago my boy Nate saw a pic of it and cried... Every Saturday morning Nate and I would hop in the car and go get donuts. He has memories of that car like I have of my dad's Model A.

Now, what I don't want is this thread to turn into a lynching...

I'd feel awkward if guys were trying to make the owner feel like he had to sell it to me.

He, nor I really want that.

I mean... the car was special to a close knit group of guys... it's not like it's really valuable to anybody but one of us.

So if it happens, I'd feel pretty complete... if not, I still have all those great memories of building it and sharing it.

I do think it's neat to hear everyone's stories though!

I remember giving a lot of guys rides... hopefully Plan9 will get that video up soon!

Sam

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i know one thing for sure ... sam proved to me what i already knew....i hate being a passenger !

i think he had just put the secret 283 in , i stopped by his house after pleasenton, he asked if i wanted to go for a spin around the block...sure... jammin gears nothing to eventful. comes back to his driveway...i think the ride is over .....oh no, sam side steps the clutch ...buzzes the motor .....bang ... i ended up doing my best interpretation of wille borsh as a passenger trying to hang on to the side of that t-body....i think i almost saw god by second gear!

it was fun sam, but i would rather be the driver i think!

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Zibo, I know that Sam did well on that car too! It's kind of ended up in my lap as someone to help rehabilitate it once again. The cycle continues...

thirtytwo, sounds a little like my couple of trips around the ghetto that surrounds Industrial Chassis in the car! I too miss it, but can't wait to see the finished product this time. What Steve, Miles, and the staff at I.C. are cooking up is just cool beyond comprehension, and I feel privileged to have a front row seat to this deal.

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

12. Koops

Koops

Pickin' a scab? No, but if anyone ever wishes to know what a Hot Rod is, show 'em 'that doughnut' clip. If they don't get it then, they never will.

I've not been around here in a while but I hope a new Rod got built by Sam. Did it?

It doesn't matter, really what parts are/were/do get used, just so long as it got/gets done. Then we all can have some fun. Best thing about that little 'Bomb'? People shared and still do share the fun an' life of it. That, in my book, is the coolest.

I finally finished my T roadster after a 15 year rebuild. Life got in the way. I promptly re-enacted Sam's dark alley antics and blew a head gasket and nearly stuffed myself through a warehouse wall... but just for a few moments I was flyin'. Really flyin'.

Koops.....

13. That was done because the original version ate up so much bandwidth it would shut down Ryans Tandy 1000!!!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dl9kp2Pu6qs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  14. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

The first time ever heard of the HAMB was from Sam at Good Guys '03. I was looking over the RR and Sam promised me a ride if I voted for him. I did but didn't get the ride. Guess I never will:(:p

15. We just swept the floor and are starting on a new hot rod... built in the spirit of the Roach Rod.

When we get IT running... I can give you a ride. Just come on by...

16. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Gonna do a build thread of course???? :D

17. Mart

Mart

Good Old Sam.

Please reserve 1 ride ticket for me.

Mart.

18. I'm looking forward to your "IT"...!;)

I am gathering parts for my next build and It'll be in the Spirit of the RR and my old "Rocket Sled"... unlike my past builds I'll try to be more diligent on my documentation!:cool:

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Long Live the RR and any update on the new build Sam:D

20. Trying to find your thread for forming a hood over Oxy bottles... or was that pipes?

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Gosh.. This is one of those historical HAMB cars that I wish I was around to see on here then. I love that thing. That donut video flat out rules.

How's the Roach Rod II coming along?

22. I know Goodguys Gazette had it, Rod & Custom I think had better coverage. It would have been on my first Open House in conjunction with the Ego-Rama.

Been finishing up details lately. Miles had to scale back a ton these last few years. But if you follow on Facebook I have been doing small updates. Right now I'm finishing up the brake system. Last night I made a reservoir for the master cylinders.

[​IMG]

23. Remember trying to blow the old 283 in your driveway after Billetproof? Those were the days!!!!!!!!!!

24. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I'm proud to say that I was there that night. One of my first exposures to real hot rodding in fact. I had no idea who you guys were or what the Roach Rod was, but I liked it.

25. Still working on that one myself.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And if I remember correctly you were sticking pretty close to Tom!

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Maybe I was a little scared... :)

28. ShortBus

ShortBus

I missed fireup by a second or eight.. Hard to believe this was 10 years ago. I had to dig deeeeep in the archive to find this one.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MSffJQsW5bE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im sure I missed it, what with the baker's dozen threads on this car, but Where did the dash end up??