Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klutchmaster427

klutchmaster427

FOUND A 2 DOOR POST!!
    [​IMG]

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now quick, somebody chop and section it, and french-in that flag.

3. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

BTW WTF does Minty mean?

(see annoying text typing) :D

4. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

Lots of good comments and they just go to show that if a vehical interests you then YOU have to go and see it for yourself! :)

The engine/motor debate will always be a good one and I can see how some people think it's okay to call an engine a motor. My Dad did his automotive apprenticeship in the 50s and he always told me that engines were internal or external combustion and that motors were driven electricaly, hydraulically or pneumatically. The same was taught to me in the 80s when I did my automotive apprenticeship so to me saying something has a 283 motor sounds as bad as saying my wiper engine doesn't work. Obviously I know what the guy with the 283 is saying, kinda like when someone says "my bad" It sounds funny but I still get it....

Ya I know,..... "General MOTORS", "Ford MOTOR Company", Harley Davidson MOTOR Company, blah, blah. Fact is these are all OLD companies and maybe that was proper terminoligy back then, hell maybe there was even some influence from the old English language in the early automotive days to call everything motors. I've seen Webster's definition of each and I wonder if the people that wrote those meanings have ever even looked under the hood of a car....or even have a car....

The Cambridge Dictionary definition of a motor is "a device that changes electricity or fuel into movement and makes a machine work" Their definition of an engine is "a machine that uses the energy from liquid fuel or steam to produce movement". So I guess loosely speaking you could call an engine a motor but I'd say it's more correct to call an engine an engine. Based on this I'd say that my old shop teachers taught me well and that the starter MOTOR is used to start the gasoline ENGINE.

But to each his own. Like I said, if someone wants to call thier engine a motor I'll understand what they're talking about just like I do when someone says "my bad". It's all good!:D

5. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Well put lintmann (Man am I seeing a lot of Albertans on the HAMB tonight)

6. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I tried to read them all, but when you say (vin number)
    your saying vehicle identification number number. Stop it!

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

When someone pronounces it Gartlits.

8. Pive

Pive

9. Pive

Pive

ATM Machine, LCD Display, PIN Number......GRRRrrrrrrr!

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Oh man, I had forgotten about those...

Reminds me of a shirt a saw once "Department of Redundancy Department" ;)

11. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Willis" is the correct pronunciation of the Willys motor car. Regards, Ron

12. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Finally!!!! I gave up pronouncing it that way...As I have never met anyone younger than 65 who can say "Wyllis" and not "Willie's"

13. 38zephyr

38zephyr

A few gems I've stumbled across this morning and several times in the past :
    "I know what I have , so don't try to lowball me " usually used in conjunction with
    "Not in a hurry to sell , just testing the waters "

I also saw a "resto-mod" 52 Chevy pickup this morning that looked like the cab, bed
    and chassis were all located in different counties of the Appalachians . At least it
    includes all of the "computers" .

14. rougebeats

rougebeats

HAHAHA- I couldnt have said it any better!!!

15. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

As Elvis would have said, "thank you, thank you very much"
    Hell I burned a few copies of this.:D:D:D

16. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I have read in a few early books on cars that John Willys name was pronounced Willis, but that the car itself was pronounced wilees, the one book I know for sure that is in was published in 1953.

Not saying it's fact, just tossing that out there.

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my perspective is from cad and survey,
    my work is all about x, y and z
    and how much time it takes to translate design into reality.

theories involving various multiple dimensions are interesting to read but I haven't found them to do much more than stimulate the synapses.

valuable for sure but,
    try to explain this to the 19 year old teller at the bank

[​IMG]

18. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

One of my favorites (although not incorrect, just one of my pet peeves) is when sombody says

"yeah I have a model a five window coupe".

You either have a coupe (has 5 windows) or you have a sport coupe (has 3 windows). Im just picky I guess.

19. el shad

el shad

I hate the term "Traditional" when it's used on here. Whenever it is used a fight is incited over what is or is not traditional and everyone gets their panties in a knot.

20. While I agree with you, I think it's a bit of a spoken problem. "I'm going to the AT Machine", "Come look at my new tv; it has a LCD", and "Please enter your PI Number". They just don't sound right. And that's only for those of us who know what ATM, PIN and LCD mean. I worked a retail job for a while, and every so often I'd work cash while the girls were busy/on lunch. When you ask a customer to "Please enter your PIN when it prompts you", you'd be surprised at the number of blank stares you get. "Please enter your PIN number when it prompts you" seemed to have the effect of jogging someones memory that they need to enter their code.

But I guess I can't say too much. A list of parts/modifications/oders/whatever, that ends in etc. etc. kills me. Etc. means et cetera, which means "and so on". When I learned latin as a kid, the first word I learned was "et cetera". The first rule about et cetera that I learned is that putting two next to each other is wrong.

hahaha, had this happen to me a few months back. If no one makes you an offer, and then I offer you 5 bucks, well, it seems to me that I have the 'best offer'...

Hot Rodders wearing panties is NOT traditional :) :p

21. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

This will probably get deleted, but I agree. What is "Traditional" is hard to define fully because it varies from region to region, someone said the other day on one of the threads that a 53 Plymouth cannot be a traditional rod, but there were plenty of them rodded in my area back in the day (sorry to use "back in the day", I know it bothers some people too) A lot of people want traditional to only be a very very narrow field of things, even when there was more then just those options available pre 64.

22. el shad

el shad

Hot Rodders wearing panties is NOT traditional :) :p[/QUOTE]

Holy hell you are right! What about Breeder in his PJ's? Traditional?

23. I'll consider it traditional... as long as it doesn't become tradition!!!

24. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about the guy that builds an obvious rat rod and then is offended when you refer to it as one?? Ron

25. Not a description but I can't stand hearing people say acrost instead of across. Like " I went acrost the bridge in my car" . There is no "t" in across!!!!!!!!! Drives me nuts!!!!!!!

26. bigbubba

bigbubba

Went to look at a bike that"Ran when parked" It was tore down to the bare frame! Guess it may have ran when he parked it?

27. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

the fleetside version of the Camaro:D

28. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Im with you on the motor one. It surprises me how even in "good" publications they use the term motor to describe an engine. Maybe motor is the new engine lol. Funny enough I put "motor" into wikipedia and it went to engine as a result. I was always told that an engine used fuel and a motor required energy. Is fuel considered energy?
    Andy.

29. Larry T

Larry T

I don't know, is Merriam-Webster wrong?

mo·tor noun \ˈmō-tər\

Definition of MOTOR
    1: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover
    2: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as
    a : a small compact engine
    b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine
    c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical

30. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

never met him so I couldnt say. A and B are clearly engines as it states and C is a motor as I was always taught many years ago. Not saying im right... im just saying. I was taught that a motor requires another source of energy to create motion where as an engine requires fuel.
    Andy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.