Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 40 Ford Pickup Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mj40's

mj40's

Wood kit for the bed mounting to frame, cab mounting to frame or bed floor?

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Mack Products has bed stuff and might have cab wood. I forget. Al

3. ntxcustoms

ntxcustoms
    from dfw

Cab to frame and bed to frame. I've seen them at a couple of different places and didn't know if they come from the same place or if there is a difference in makes and quality. Also want to make sure that when i order that the pieces are a hardwood and not something soft...

4. mj40's

mj40's

I had to make my cab wood because it's a 46 cab and they had the fuel tank under the seat. I moved it back to the rear but the floor pans are differant. I got the bed wood from a HAMBer. Mac Hils has them at www.mackhils.com

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  5. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Nice hood work. That is just killer.

6. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks everyone. I really struggled with the decision of punching a cherry hood. There are a few firsts with this project and the louvers are my first car with hood top louvers and my first set of wide whites. I'm glad I did it and I can't wait to see paint on it. Speaking of paint, I picked up all the paint supplies yesterday to finish the car. Man this stuff is getting expensive. I wasn't shocked because I painted my coupe 4 years ago and prices are up 10%+over then. My painter tells me we should see paint on the cab next week. It is looking like it is ready now but I'm not on his schedule this week. I took the frame off the rotisserie this morning and it is setting on the ground where it should be. Anyways, thanks again. Encouragement really helps me to keep motivated and get this one done before snow flies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 38 Hump

38 Hump

I punched louvers on my '38 Tudor. They not only look cool but they help cool the engine too. Also, fun to color sand!!

8. mj40's

mj40's

My painter is painting my firewall today (photos later), so I thought I should paint something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. thishero

thishero

This is going to be a NICE daily driver.

10. mj40's

mj40's

That is my plan. I can spend my time driving her and not polishing chrome.

11. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

12. mj40's

mj40's

Here is a shot of the firewall and dash insert in Wimbledon white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Nice job, just remember chrome is a five letter word that soon turns into a four letter word RUST. I am finishing up my 39 that will get driven a lot (I Hope) and will have very little chrome on it, painted wheels etc.

14. mj40's

mj40's

I'm sure it would in PA. I flew in to Pittsburgh one time. In a taxi ride downtown I seen several commuter cars with rust up to the door handles. :eek:

15. mj40's

mj40's

Good progrss made on the cab today. Bad part is I'm leaving town for a couple days and would rather be here to start putting things back together. Damn vacations!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. If you're looking for the cab mounting wood, go with Northern Classic Trucks. Todd's pieces are finger jointed as per the original.

17. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Nice color, now I will have to pick another color for my build.:eek:

18. Silva

Silva

looking good! My 40 project is moving at a snails pace...
    Very coincidental, I have similar colors for mine.

PPG vanilla shake for the firewall and a 57 buick pale yellow.
    keep up the good work.

19. mj40's

mj40's

I would be interested but had to build my own for this one. 46 cab on a 39 frame. They don't make wood for that combination.

20. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks all! I looked at a lot of colors before I made a decision. My chart shows the 57 Buick as Antique Ivory. It is the only yellow I see that year. I haven’t seen mine yet but the photo of the dash out in the sun is what I hope it looks like. Will go out and check it out tomorrow with some follow-up photos.

21. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Why not?? The 39 and 40 frames are close to identical and the 40 and 46 cabs are almost identical. Why wouldnt 40 wood work?

22. mj40's

mj40's

Yes the 35 to 40 car frames are the same as well as the 41 pickup frame. Because the floor pans are different. 46 cabs had the gas tank under the seat area.

23. redzula

redzula

I really like that you angled the holes to match the rear edge looks perfect. I just found this thread and am kinda glad it is not new because I wouldn't have been able to wait for all those updates lol. you frame looks really clean and Im sure the finished truck will follow suit (btw I'm only page 8 or so so this post might turn out to be a little late)

24. mj40's

mj40's

Thanks! Being late doesn't matter unless you are talking about your girlfriend.

25. redzula

redzula

Ha ha funny you should mention that my wife is due with our first in december. now that I cought up a bit I like your color choice. the dash pic looks like its flattened. probably just base coat but a swede painted dash would be a cool touch

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I used the 40-41 cab wood to mount my 47 cab on my 40 chassis. I just had to relieve the wood in a few places to clear the differences on the bottom of the cab. Used the old grind a bit, check, grind some more, check, etc until it worked.
    Truck looks great regardless of how you get there.
    Keep working,
    Al

27. mj40's

mj40's

Here are a couple more shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  28. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Lookin good.......now get that thing back together!!:D

29. mj40's

mj40's

Just got back from vacation and that is exactly my plan. Now if the wife don't plan any more trips.

30. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Have her plan a trip for herself, that way she won't be around to hamper progress!!:eek: hahaha!