Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Mar 7, 2011.

1. cederholm

cederholm

AMAZING! The craftsmanship is outstanding and the car is beautiful!

~ Carl

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rear hangers are the work of a sculptor! I have a pair of '36 rear wishbones on mine, or I would have copied these to the Tee!
    I also utilized a rear deadperch on the driver side, also one on the front...using the springs as panhard bars...
    You are a chassis engineer extraordinaire. Beautiful craftsmanship.

3. Great build! Keep it up.

4. flthd31

flthd31

Been keeping an eye on all your precision workmanship...very nice.
    Was wondering if you think you have enough clearance between your new panhard bar and that ladder bar. Do you plan on limiting suspension with rubber snubbers over the axle?

Attached Files:

5. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

flthd31 - I think that photo just has a bad perspective of the clearance between the panhard bar and ladder bar. There's actually a lot of clearance there.

Well tonight, I notched the gas tank so I could bolt it to the frame. After that, I took some measurements of the gap to the body, and cut the rear frame horns off. I split them in two on the bandsaw, and opened them up in a wedge shape about 1/2". I filled that with a filler piece, and welded them back on the frame. The end product was raising the gas tank up about 1/2" to tighten up the gap to the body. The kick-up on the top of the rail is hidden by the body, so it's a bit subtle. The body isn't bolted down in the photo below, but the gap tightens up to about 1/4-3/8" now.

[​IMG]

6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

A buddy came over this week and helped me get the car ready to be halfway presentable for a car party thing we went to Saturday. Friday night, we rolled it outside and wiped it down with scotch pads and WD-40. I snapped a few photos of it outside:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Beautiful!

Grab your wax and grease remover or thinners and wipe that WD40 off the car. Reapply Gibbs Brand lubricant and preservative for a silky smooth finish that doesn't attract dirt and go all sticky (like WD40 does). Gibbs Brand is like nothing I've ever used. It goes on and looks wet but protects and preserves the raw metal and even though it looks wet when you touch it with your fingers it's not wet at all and I believe your painter (should there ever be one) will thank you.

8. Wow. Will be following this with extreme interest.

Nice work!

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I took a short break on the car while I worked on some other things lately. I didn't have many shots of the car how it sits now (with the tank raised, surface rust cleaned off, etc), so I took some today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Awesome build!!! Thanks for sharing...

11. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

A great looking roadster!

12. Very nice. I'm not sure how I missed this all this time, but I'm glad I found it.

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

love the tranny mount with ladder hangers and the rear shackle hangers..good clean work

14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Well I got back on the car after a long break, which was from buying a house, moving, etc (a good reason for a break). I finally got around to getting new axles for the rearend. I needed about 1/2" more offset to work with the lincoln drums, but it helped out with some tire clearance and puts the rear width equal to a '40 now.

[​IMG]

With the low ride height, I needed to raise the floor some to clear the center section. It still needs some final welding, but it's getting close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I finally moved on to working on a cover for the model A crossmember. I started by rolling the edges of the top with a bead roller, and shrinking the edges to follow the crossmember.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still needs the rear panel and a lot of grinding, but I'm out of rolocs until I get more this week.....

15. Mo$4Ford

Mo$4Ford

16. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Looking Good, Looking Real Good..... Keep the updates coming

17. dad-bud

dad-bud

Cory, great build - beautiful proportions and stance.
    My eyes are more green than the interior Deuce Eddie suggested - green with envy, that is.
    Wow. What a perfect '32.
    I can't wait to see more photos - please keep us posted on your updates.

18. What type of transmission are you using with your flathead.

Thanks
    Frenchy

19. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Frency,

It's running a non-world class T5 that has been machined to accept world class internals. The gear set is a 3.29 1st and .64 OD. Astro Performance in Florida did the work on the transmission and it's adapted using an Offy adapter and kit from Gary at Cornhusker Hot Rods.

20. Cory

Thank You for your post. Nice car

Frenchy

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Tonight, I got the rear panel for the crossmember cover cut and welded in. I also spent a lot more time grinding, and it's getting close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

looks good Cory.

Are you coming back to KC soon for any visits?
    I picked up another 32 5 window. I'm still gather parts for both of them, but finishing up my model a first.

You are doing fine work, i'm jealous of the time you get to spend on it.

Tim

23. KAJRIP

KAJRIP

WOW, What a cool build. Well thought out, great fab skills, and nice pics too. keep up the good work.
    Rob

24. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Probably the next visit to KC will be at Thanksgiving. I'm trying to buckle down and get things done on the car right now. It may start getting paint during September.

25. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

What windshield are you using? It looks like more that the usual 2" chop that is mostly available. Great build.

26. rawkie

rawkie

this is one clean roadster!

27. Why paint it awesome job thanks for sharing

28. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It's a 3" chopped frame, then I leaned the lower stancions back until the frame was parallel with the angled door gap at the front edge of the door line. I may chop it slightly more, but I need to get the iron work for the top set up first.

29. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I built a structure brace for the body the other night. I wanted to make something to tie the rear of the cockpit together, and provide a wall between the trunk and cockpit. I plan on adding a strut that runs forward and attaches to the rear jam too.

[​IMG]

So this pretty much outlines the trunk space. I'm planning on mounting the fuse panel and other electrical stuff on the back side here too - maybe skinning it in a sheet of aluminum so I have a nice surface to mount to. One high tech thing on this car is going to be an electric park brake module from a late model GM car - I just need to locate one in a salvage yard now. They pull with somewhere between 225-300 lbs of force, self adjust, and can be toggled on/off with a momentary input. Anyway - that'll be mounted to the backside of the brace as well and eliminate the need for a stick in the cockpit.

[​IMG]

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is that barking brake some sort or remote activated item? Wonder if it would act as an anti theft item?