Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Kick his ass, Sea Bass!" :D

Seriously, though, I think all of the regulars on Dog's thread join Moe in expressing appreciation to Ryan and all the rest of the editor/moderators who make the HAMB as a whole one of the most worthwhile and enjoyable forums on the internet -- bar none.:cool::cool::cool: This being an atypical HAMB thread (understatement:eek:), it is to their credit that they gave it a chance, and it really blossomed into a great historical backdrop of society, technology, architecture, fashion and fads, war and its impacts -- the WHOLE backdrop against which the 'rod and custom scene has played out upon. I like to think (and hope) that we don't cause the mods too much grief,:rolleyes: in that folks love what the thread's about and, therefore, tend to "self-police." That may ruffle a feather now and then, but for the most part, guys haven't been too rough on noobs and occasional visitors. IMHO, some get off pretty easy. But it all leads to a last point.

That said, this thread -- any thread -- isn't perfect.:eek: We get reposts, but they never seem to be intentional, unless illustrating a point. And occasionally something slips in that may not fit the hazy definition of "vintage.":confused: I got dressed down (rightly:p) recently for posting a pic for a laugh which, as I soon learned, displayed the names of three movies from the year 2000!:eek: I try, but it happened to me, so I try not to be overly preachy to others. Until somebody nails down what vintage really means:rolleyes:, we'll get a few pix that, maybe, shouldn't be here. All we can do is try to be diligent. If we err and fail to catch something important, surely a moderator will point out a needed deletion, etc.;)

Guys and gals, the material's been exceptionally fine of late. Keep up the good work.:D And THANKS to ALL!!!

2. Foul

Foul

3. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Am I the only one who looks at a photo like this and wonders What the hell is going on here?

4. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Stuff a big engine in this and run it at Bonneville.

Wait a minute, is it already pro-streeted?

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Such exceptional beauty deserves some more detail. Karin Jan Smithers is alive, well, living in California and is just 62 years of age. She and actor James Brolin ("Marcus Welby, M.D.") were married for nearly a decade, making her the one-time stepmother to actor Josh Brolin. She is the mom of model/actress Molly Elizabeth Brolin. (And, if there's a "beauty gene," Jan certainly passed it on to Molly! I can't show Molly, as her photos would be too contemporary to qualify as vintage pix. So, look her up on the 'net!)

Though I'm sure Jan appreciated the exposure "WKRP" gave her, I always regretted that the part required her to dress down, presumably not to visually conflict with the intended sex appeal of costar Loni Anderson. While she played her brainy-but-shy part to a tee, the Bailey persona "hid" (my quotes) her exceeding beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

The photo in post #28563 looks like it might be an auction. Auctioning off used police/municipal vehicles maybe?

7. Dog427435

Dog427435

Yes - that is an auction:)

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

Yes, here on the HAMB the picture threads alone are attracting a huge amount of global visitors.
    The fellas responsible for upkeep on the forum have (wisely?) allowed these bandwidth hogs
    to grow and prosper while fully understanding that it costs considerably more $$ to broadcast
    images over and above the regular chit chat that's inherent in any forum.

Like others here, I have been collecting images and documents (for whatever reason) for a
    number of years using things like Google Image Search to facilitate my habit.

But over the last year or so, I have noticed that Google is increasingly refering me back to the
    HAMB and the images that Google returns to me are coming form any number of the 'Picture
    Threads' here as more and more people both discover and contribute to these threads.

Between the Image searches and the boring statistics it has become evident that the HAMB
    picture threads are self perpetuating -The more they grow, the more people 'find' them on the
    net, the more that people discover these threads, the more they go looking in their own closets
    for old pictures to scan and post. The more they post up those 1st time pics, the more Google
    refers people back to these historic threads. And the cycle continues.

What I'm trying to say is that if these threads didn't exist, the amount of untapped 'closeted'
    pictures would remain just that, hidden in the shoebox in someone's closet.

The fact that Ryan has allowed these threads to survive directly translates to the Quality and
    Quantity of historical information that is coming online here, for the very first time - All of which is
    being searched and indexed by things like Google.
    Sure there are many digitized pictures that are referenced thru places like The Library of Congress
    but the truth is that there are many more million of pictures squirreled away in private collections
    that have yet to be scanned/posted and shared
    But the fact that an Increasingly Larger percentage of HAMB related images are returned to me
    through Google only points to the underlying fact that many of the pics are from 'first time
    posters' who have a stashed shoebox just waiting to be digitized.

Thanks go out to Ryan and his underpaid staff,
    Thanks go to the HAMB for what it is and what it has become,
    Thanks go to all the Regular Contributors,
    Thanks also to New contributors with that shoebox of B&W pics worth scanning,
    Thanks to the ~1900 viewers who catch this thread withing 24 hours of a pic being posted,
    Thanks to the ~2800 weekly viewers who continually check in,
    Thanks go to Google for noticing, indexing and ultimately referring more like minded folks to these
    historical pic threads.
    Thanks go to all the Mom and Dad's and the Grand and Greatgrandad's for making history and
    especially for recording it.

It is all very much appreciated, -I Just hope that people realize that the HAMB is becoming a
    tremendous resource for both technical info as well as historical images that would otherwise
    be hidden away for years to come.

The value of the HAMB can only be summed up in the quality of it's management and members,
    -especially those who contribute and provide positive content (whether thru one valuable post or thru
    years of posting).

Every post has it's merits and if we didn't have places like this, places to share, we would all
    unknowingly loose out on our fathers and forefathers lifetimes and histories.

Thanks ALL!

And if your one of those lurkers who has a hidden shoebox ready for scanning,
    What are you waiting for?
    Post them up and become part of this historical forum and it's far reaching threads.

moe

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Who ya kiddin', Moe??? :confused:

You KNOW the REAL reason :eek: for the numbers of views
    and posts is that your avatar has gone VIRAL! :D

(Actually, that was well stated, and THANKS for it! -- J)

10. Dontiac

Dontiac

Here's a couple of Dad's gas station. Johnnie's Skelly in Hays, Kansas. The color one is the grand opening in 1962. The Goodyear sign on the pole above the Corvair is in my house now along with a few other things. I believe the B&W photo was even before the opening.

11. Dontiac

Dontiac

In South Paw's post #28454 on page 1423, check out that 65 Impala wagon made into a pick-up.

12. Dontiac

Dontiac

A couple from Henry's place

13. Dontiac

Dontiac

I have no idea what these are but I like the roadster at the front of the line.

14. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I don't see the sign or the corvair?

15. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Any of you guys have any Texas related pics, (Fort Worth in particular) or the Texas battleship and others?

16. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

The roadster looks like a 1932 Desoto to me.
    Must have been a pre production model because the rest of the line is 1931 models

17. 92GTA

92GTA

WOW! That store is still there and operational! Going to high school I lived about 1mile from there. Bodfish CA next to Lake Isabella CA.

18. One from a small town in New Zealand. I have heaps more if there is any interest

19. noboD

noboD

Bring them on Woodie. You guys have a lot of Dodge Brothers car down under, let's see what you've got.

20. Flinttim

Flinttim
    from Indiana

Me in 1953, sitting on what I believe to be Dad's Henry J. I'm 8 months old and was born in January. Who the hell puts a little kid on a black hood in August !
    [​IMG]

21. Welcome Aboard Woody...if you have heaps more please do share...I for one would love to see 'em!! Thanks-Mark

22. 296ardun

296ardun

I second both, welcome, Woody, and yes, pictures from NZ would be great -- was in Auckland last year, loved the city and the country.

23. I thought she was hotter than Loni.Kind of a Ginger/Maryanne thing.She had a great ass!

24. POA21R

POA21R
    from California

wow, a 1949 Panhard Dynavia

25. :) Just for you noboD

http://tinyurl.com/3bkfm2s

click online (go) near thumbnail for larger pic or download

26. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

27. moefuzz

moefuzz

Hey woody, bring em on,
    Did you guys get all the great utes that oz got?
    There is just something about a 40 Ford ute (or maybe even a 41 willys)

28. Oz made the utes, we just cut down sedans and put a flat deck on. Our trucks we commandeered by the army during WW2, so very few survived

29. moefuzz

moefuzz

Misc Ford Factory pics in no particular order, some may have been posted before..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.