Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ratpickup, Aug 3, 2010.

1. knotttty

knotttty

thanx I thought thats what you were doing... Love your truck hope mine is half as good when done...

2. Looking good. Subscribed so I don't miss the finish. Now go finish it.

3. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well the truck is running. Tonight i hooked up the kickdown linkage. Mounted i'n the drivers seat with the base and back pads. Just need to finalize the registration. Hopefully this weekend it will make it's maiden voyage around the block. [​IMG]

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Looking great! Keep it up.

5. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

[​IMG]
    Finally got it running tonight!

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very exciting feeling when the projects come to life.

7. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well the truck is pretty much road worthy. I havent put a bed on it yet but its not gonna stop me from taking it out. Registration is all taken care of and im just waiting for the insurance guy to finalize the paperwork. I took it for a quick drive around the block but since I didnt have insurance coverage I couldnt go very far. Hopefully ill hear back from the guy today and be able to go cruise it around tommorow. Have to go get some door and rear window glass put in it next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

beautiful truck...nice job on that floor, man i love anything 34. whats the future color gonna be?

9. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I agree nice detail and fab work .Get us an outside picture when the bed is on.

10. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Not to sure on colors yet. been throwing around a couple different colors. But the bed will have to go on first before i do any sort of bodywork to it.

11. Beautiful pickup!
    Is that a 30gal. tank?
    What is the rear crossmember?
    Thanks,
    Bill.

12. HotRod33

HotRod33

The truck is looking great...... what are you going to do for a bed.....? The workmanship on your truck is very nice.....

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Your truck is very nice,but I have a comment. The fan /radiator shroud has holes in the sides and the top and bottom are open also. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a shroud, I mean not forcing all the air for the fan through the radiator. I'm not trying to be a smart ass I just don't understand how it will work correctly. Nice truck anyway.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Coming along real nice.

15. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

There is some truth to this. But you also want room for the air to flow through the radiator when the fan isn't on. It seems to work well. The holes i'n the side are covered by the radiator end caps. They are just there for looks and to strengthen the shroud. The
    fan shroud is pretty close to the radiator so it seems to work just fine.

16. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

No it's only a 15 gallon fuel tank. I made it out of a fuel drum.
    The rear crossmember is made of tubing and plate to mount the rear leafspring.

17. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Thanks.
    I'm probably going to pick up a reproduction bed.

18. Cool man! That's got to feel good. I can't wait to drive mine!

19. Grizzly34s

Grizzly34s

Looking great! I need your gas tank too on one of my trucks.

20. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Well I finally gathered up all the parts needed for a pickup bed. Got a 1935 tailgate 32-34 stake pockets. I modeled up the bed panels in cad and had them cut out and bead rolled them and bent up the panels. Today I tacked up all the panels. Still need to build the frame to hang the bed off the frame, mill up the tube for the top cap of the bedsides and mounts for the tailgate. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. skoh73

skoh73

Quality craftsmanship- looks great!

22. Really like how you approached your fan shorud and tray, will look great.

Sorry, not out to create a debate, but your panhard bar/transverse spring methodolgy only really works when, at ride height, the shackles are sitting at approx. 45 degree's to vertical when viewed at the rear.

Currently (tell me if I'm looking at the pictures wrong) your shackles are basically vertical, so at speed it would be of concern going into the corner as the rearend will have a tendency to swing sideways under load, and then swing opposite as you come out of the corner. Hence I'd suggest either a shorter main spring to make it want to 'centre itself', move the shackle mounts on the diff, or prefferably add a long & horizontal panhard bar.

As a test of theory, when standing at the rear see if you can push the chassis sideways, tend to believe that you should be able to.....which is not what you want.

Again, not out to create a big debate, just trying to assist and keep you safe.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

23. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Since then I have replaced a couple leafs in the rear leaf pack. The spring arc has changed back to the way it was originally set up. They are not exactly at 45 degrees but alot closer than the pic shown above. Pushing sideways on the chassis it doesnt move.

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

really nice fab work.

25. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

Today I milled the tube so the square tube sat flush with the top edge of the bed. Drilled holes on the top cap and fused the two together and welded it on the bottom. I'm now ready to hang the bed in place and build a frame for the bed to bolt to the frame of the truck.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  26. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I have made some more progress. Been busy with other projects lately but this weekend I hammered out some work on the bed. Built a 1" square tube frame to hang the bed and mounted it to the frame. Took an old pallet apart and used the wood from that. Burnt it and threw some water sealer on it. Still need to drill out the holes and bolt the wood down. I built a battery cover just in case something was to short out on the top terminals. Not sure if im going to leave this or change it up. Well see.
    Not sure on the look of the license plate. Dont really like it out that far and down that low. May move it below the tailgate in the center of the bed. What do you guys think?
    Still need to make the upper tailgate latch parts and bolt the wood down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Your bed turned out great! I love it!
    I got the plate in the very same location, and sometimes I hit it with my leg when I walk around and don't pay attention. I like it where it's at though.
    Why wouldn't you move that battery around and drop it down next to the drive shaft?
    Looks like you got enough space on the drivers side between the 4 link and the drive shaft.

28. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I thought about mounting my plate like that but it ended up in the center below the tailgate. IMO it looks cleaner in the center. I don't have any shots of it here at work. I'll post them later if you want.

29. Not trying to high jack your thread, but I built that little pan underneath my bed, so mounting the plate in the center wouldn't work for me, I think...
    [​IMG]

30. 34ratpickup

34ratpickup
    from Orange, CA

I kinda like that little pan idea.